Bad Tyre fitting

Jon_WS
Jon_WS Posts: 10 Forumite
HI everyone!

So I had two new front tyres fitted to my car today, drove it 44miles home and had a flat tyre that was bulging and it has wrecked my wheel. I'll be ringing the company that fitted them tomorrow morning but need to know what I can claim for.

Obviously a new tyre, what about the wheel?
Also, As I live so far away from the garage how can I get it replaced without having to drive 44 miles on a flat?

Thanks

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Did you sign anything?

Not uncommon these days to have customers sign off the work, so as to absolve themselves if the wheels fall off and kill someone.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Jon_WS
    Nope, didn't sign a thing. Just paid and got a receipt.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Did you sign anything?

Not uncommon these days to have customers sign off the work, so as to absolve themselves if the wheels fall off and kill someone.
    Which wouldn't necessarily absolve them of liability anyway
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Well they will almost certainly try to avoid the wheel cost, but they should have insurance to cover this sort of thing.

Do you not have a spare wheel?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Jon_WS
    Do you not have a spare wheel? - No, I don't even have a space saver. The tyre was virtually hanging off when it went flat- that's how the wheel got trashed I suppose :(
  • Jon_WS
    I also have to take the day off tomorrow as I can't drive to work so is there any claim I can make on that front?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can you phone the garage and explain, they may come out and fit another one at their own expense. Did you now know you were driving on a flat tyre?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Jon_WS wrote: »
    HI everyone!

So I had two new front tyres fitted to my car today, drove it 44miles home and had a flat tyre that was bulging and it has wrecked my wheel. I'll be ringing the company that fitted them tomorrow morning but need to know what I can claim for.

Obviously a new tyre, what about the wheel?
    Also, As I live so far away from the garage how can I get it replaced without having to drive 44 miles on a flat?

Thanks
    I'm puzzled. What do you mean by a flat tyre bulging? Did you continue to drive on it after it had deflated?
  • Jon_WS
    I'm puzzled. What do you mean by a flat tyre bulging? Did you continue to drive on it after it had deflated?

It went flat when I was driving, I pulled over and tried to pump it up to get home. It was then I noticed it was bulging in 2 areas. When I got home it was flat again after 10mins of being parked on the drive.
  • Jon_WS
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Can you phone the garage and explain, they may come out and fit another one at their own expense. Did you now know you were driving on a flat tyre?
    When I left the garage it was fully inflated and all in working order. I got about 10miles from home and it was flat as a pancake. I'll be calling the garage in the morning to get it sorted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure