BT broadband Haggling thread

Comments

• Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yes unlimited and no fair use policies with B.T either.
  • egyptiancotton
    egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 May 2017 at 1:04PM
    It's that time of year again. My contract is due up for renewal.

I'm currently paying £12.50 a month excluding line rental for Unlimited Infinity 1 (up to 52Mb). I was paying £10 a month until April when BT increased their prices. I paid my line rental upfront last year.

To re-contract for another 12 months, I've been offered the same package for £5.50 per month excluding line rental. TalkTalk had a competing offer for £25 per month including line rental.

Is it worth paying line rental upfront again? I suppose this would make it difficult for me to move to another ISP should BT increase their prices again. Or could I haggle with BT to further better their offer?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If BT do increase prices within your contract then the Ofcom rules allow you to leave without penalty . That includes ALR refund pro rata .See posts on the forum .

I am paying my BT line rental advanced again next month as a price rise within contract means i leave without penalty but usually BT will negotiate at the point of departure .
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    If BT do increase prices within your contract then the Ofcom rules allow you to leave without penalty . That includes ALR refund pro rata .See posts on the forum .

I am paying my BT line rental advanced again next month as a price rise within contract means i leave without penalty but usually BT will negotiate at the point of departure .

Thanks for replying. Very useful advice and I wasn't aware you are entitled to leave with a pro rata refund of ALR. I renewed my line rental last night but was told on the phone that my new contract would start immediately instead of at the end of my old contract which should expire at the end of June. The adviser mentioned I would receive a refund of the line rental and broadband I paid in advance until next month, but was hoping my new contract would be scheduled to start next month instead.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    ALR you can renew within something like 27 days before current ALR expires .
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35113/~/how-to-renew-your-line-rental-saver
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2017 at 11:12AM
    lloydyyy wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. Very useful advice and I wasn't aware you are entitled to leave with a pro rata refund of ALR.

It only happens if you leave due to a change in your contract introduced by BT that affects you & you tell BT that this is why you are leaving.

Paying line rental in advance puts you in a fixed term contract. If they announce an increase in the advance line rental then that doesn't affect you, but increasing the cost of your broadband, asking you for more money for line rental or call setup costs/price per minute/maximum free call lengths/numbers would.
  • phillw wrote: »
    It only happens if you leave due to a change in your contract introduced by BT that affects you & you tell BT that this is why you are leaving.

Paying line rental in advance puts you in a fixed term contract. If they announce an increase in the advance line rental then that doesn't affect you, but increasing the cost of your broadband, asking you for more money for line rental or call setup costs/price per minute/maximum free call lengths/numbers would.

Interesting to know. Thank you!

Just come off the phone to BT. I spoke to one of the advisers earlier this week who said if I pay my line rental upfront then it would cost £205.08 whereas it would rise to £208.80 today, and the broadband component at £5.50 per month would be added on today if I called back. Unfortunately the deal isn't available anymore and has risen to £7.50 per month. I have 14 days to cancel the line rental saver so I may as well use the time to see if the deal changes again to something cheaper.
  • My contract is due to come to an end on 19th June, although a monumental c*ck-up by BT back in March meant I was recontracted without my permission. I was given a reference number for the complaint, and notes were added to my file so I won't be held to the new contract, but the system is going by my contract end date of September 2018, and thus the retention offers are pants.

I rang BT on 22nd May and was offered Unlimited Infinity 1 at £24.49 per month including line rental or £5.50 per month if I pay line rental upfront. I couldn't take the offer there and then because I had a meeting to attend, but the adviser said if I called back on or before 24th May then the offer would still be there. I was called back on 24th May and the offer had risen to £26.49 per month with line rental or £7.50 per month without line rental. I logged a complaint and that was it.

Although another adviser said he could honour the £7.50 per month deal and add £24 of credit onto my account to make up for the difference. Alarm bells started ringing because I went through a similar situation last year with BT, and then a few days before the end of my contract I was offered a pretty good deal and decided to stay. The adviser who offered the £7.50 per month deal added notes on my account in case I wanted to call back and go for that deal. I rang back today - and another adviser I spoke to claimed he couldn't see the notes on my account.

Every adviser I've spoken to has given me contradicting stories: Can't see the notes on my account, or the best they can do is £12.50 per month (which is what I'm paying now), or some deals are only available to certain advisers with long service with the company, or other reasons.

I've called the retentions department on 0800 800 030 each time. I'm getting fed up. Any advice would be appreciated or perhaps a number of a team I can contact directly to sort out a good deal.
  • egyptiancotton
    egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 June 2017 at 1:24PM
    After making a pain of myself with BT today and bringing up TalkTalk's competing offer, they have agreed to remove the erroneous contract from my account (the one that was mistakenly applied in March this year), and call me back on Monday to discuss an offer. I'm assuming the better offers might be available after the erroneous contract is removed.

Although I have noticed TopCashback is offering £105 cashback for Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre Extra package. I plan to pay the line rental upfront which is currently £185, which leaves the monthly bill at £12. If I split the cashback over 12 months (which is £8 per month rounded up), that effectively leaves the monthly bill at £4. It's pretty tempting although I'm a bit put off by the traffic prioritisation policy and I'm also keen to see what offer BT comes up with on Monday.

Advice welcome, especially about Plusnet and their traffic prioritisation policy.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just be prepared to leave BT if they don't offer you the deal you want. Some people seem to get good offers, others get mucked about. Even £12.50 + ALR is less than half what it'll cost when the price reverts to their 'standard' price in a year....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure