Buyer Has Paid Through Paypal but no payment received

Hi

I have sold three items on Ebay. All have different buyers who have initiated payment by Paypal so as far as they are concerned the items have been paid for. However, on my listings the items are coming up as not paid, the money is not in the Paypal account and underneath the £ sign on the sold items there is a timer.

Does anyone know what is going on here?
The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    Hi

I have sold three items on Ebay. All have different buyers who have initiated payment by Paypal so as far as they are concerned the items have been paid for. However, on my listings the items are coming up as not paid, the money is not in the Paypal account and underneath the £ sign on the sold items there is a timer.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

This could be one of two things, firstly and more likely you have entered your email address incorrectly, so payments have gone to a non existent account. You can check this by doing a dummy relist on one of the items, then scroll down (before you list) and you can check your email address. If it's wrong then all you can do is apologise profusely to buyer, ask them to recall their payment and try and persuade them to pay you direct. They might think you are trying to scam them and refuse to repay, but it is always worth a try.

Alternatively it is an echeque or a held payment (under the 21 day holding) but if this is the case your PayPal account will show the payments but as uncleared or held. You would also have emails from PayPal telling you that you have received funds.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thank you soolin. Sorry to be dumb but how do I do a dummy relist
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Go through the motions of relisting the item. As you get to the main listing page you can scroll down to see the email address you input for Paypal payment. Obviously once you've checked the address you need to abort the relist. Hence the term dummy.
  • tesuhoha
    I have done that and I can see that the email address is incorrect. It is a silly mistake that I have put my other email address.

Will this be classed as an unclaimed payment? I won't be able to issue a refund.

• barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 10:42PM
    Add the incorrect email addy to your paypal account.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • soolin
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    I have done that and I can see that the email address is incorrect. It is a silly mistake that I have put my other email address.

Will this be classed as an unclaimed payment? I won't be able to issue a refund.

If you have access to that other email address that you have used the simplest way to sort this would be to add that other address to PayPal, then the money will show up. You can have 8 email addresses associated to a PayPal account.

If you can't add the address then you need to explain to the buyers that they must reclaim the money . You won't be able to send a new invoice via eBay as it will just keep defaulting to the incorrect email address.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tesuhoha
    Thank you so much for the advice. You have saved me from disaster. I have added the email address and have the money now but it says its on hold. How do I get it off that? Is that when I mark the items as dispatched?

• tesuhoha
    Oh not to worry. It says it will be pending till 9th May. I can live with that. Thank you very much

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Is it pending (an echeque) or on hold?

If it is pending as an echeque you need to wait until Paypal tell you it is safe to send.

If it is on hold, check what the hold is. Usually it is because you are a new seller or selling in a high risk category. You must comply with the hold and send the item as per the instructions on the transaction. Have a read of the postage sticky.
  • soolin
    Is it pending (an echeque) or on hold?

If it is pending as an echeque you need to wait until Paypal tell you it is safe to send.

If it is on hold, check what the hold is. Usually it is because you are a new seller or selling in a high risk category. You must comply with the hold and send the item as per the instructions on the transaction. Have a read of the postage sticky.

^^^^^^^

This is important, you must look at the transactions and see why there is a hold as the action is different for both types.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure