Vodafone/CPW: Refusal to refund after overcharging. I'm posting the full convo

Options
12346»

Comments

• addedvaluebob
    Options
    Yes , it was absolutely selective. In the same way that you chose to insult a complete stranger based on one post that you consider to be 'unhinged'.

Whatever you think of their posts it does not give you the right to call someone a 'nutter' or 'delusional'
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    When they address my right to post and ignore positive suggestions it does.
  • awkawk
    awkawk Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    mobilejunkie, all you've managed to do is totally derail this thread. I took the time to post about this matter because, when it comes to being overcharged by hundreds of pounds, money I do not have, and the company subsequently admit fault, apologize sincerely, and then their customer service's best solution is a partial refund, and "that's the best we can offer". It's just not good enough. If this was a private citizen, who had robbed me in the street, they would be committing a criminal offence. However, since it is a company, I can't go to a police station and report that I have been robbed, I have to try and resolve it through other means.

For anyone else reading: The e-mails are now buried in crud posted by users displaying strong troll like traits. I am sure they will post several more times, not because they have at any time been welcome or posted anything worth reading, or useful, but simply to ensure that this post, like my others, is buried. Why this is so important to them, I will leave up to you to deduce.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    I've derailed nothing and my suggestions were ignored. The only "crud" was laid by you over the first two pages.
  • awkawk
    Options
    mobilejunkie, if you wanted to make a useful suggestion, you could have (and didn't, I checked) said "what about the resolver service" or "have you read the page about Vodafone complaints on the main site").

Now, it seems crazy that I didn't know about either of these, but the Vodafone page has only existed since 01/11/16 by the looks of it (it's here), and I don't generally peruse the rest of this site. It just happened, thankfully, to show up in the sidebar for me today - earlier today, I was thinking once again that I would need to use the Small Claims Court if I wanted my money returned.

So, I've submitted my complaint using Resolver. Fingers crossed!
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2016 at 2:15PM
    Options
    The main Vodafone thread was created when the front page of the mobiles forum was swamped for years with new threads complaining about the company.

As for checking, you spend most of your time regurgitating communications with the company and what I bothered to write in post 13 (for example) was completely wasted on you.
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't understand all these unpleasant comments.

Awkawk has created a thread, the general content of which is clear in the heading.

Obviously not everyone will find it interesting or useful but if that is the case don't bother posting to it.

If he signed a contract with certain terms and conditions then he is legally entitled to what was in the contract - no more and no less.

The only thing I've not sure about is whether his contract is with Mobiles or VF but if VF has accepted responsibility they should sort it out properly (and if necessary claim back from Mobiles).

All this is a salient lesson to others of the risks in taking out contracts, particularly those involving intermediaries.
  • addedvaluebob
    Options
    I think the most salient lesson here is that some people are more interested in decrying the opinions of people who are genuinely want help than they are in actually helping or supporting the poster. Even if you disagree with the poster there is no need to call them nutters or delusional
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    In your first post you stated.
    "My partner signed into a mobile contract, somehow she was provisioned the wrong contract. We didn't realize until several months in (she gets her statements online, and doesn't read them)."

One thing we all need to take from this is to CHECK OUR BANK STATEMENTS.
    We need to do this regularly but if you don't care about your money at least check your bank statements when you sign a new or modify a mobile phone contract.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • awkawk
    Options
    I received no communication from the Customer Service Manager my query was sent to, and have subsequently today escalated the case to the Customer Services Director via Resolver.co.uk

Will let you know how it turns out...
    Dear Neil Blagden, Customer Service Director,

I am writing to complain about an issue with Mobile.

I have already raised my issue within your organisation, but I feel that my issue is still unresolved, hence my need to involve you in helping to resolve this problem.

Here is what happened: I agreed to a Vodafone contract, to pay £15.30 a month for 12 months on 15/10/15 through Mobiles.co.uk (Carphone Warehouse).
    Soon after, my partner's apartment burnt down, and I had just started a 3 year degree. I wasn't paying as close attention to my bills as usual. Subsequently, it was not until months later that I realized I was being overcharged by £20.30 a month as I was on the wrong tariff - the Mobiles.co.uk deal I had agreed to should have resulted in my eventually paying £66 in total for my line rental over the 12 months, after cashback. I went to submit this and realized I was being billed for the wrong amount.

I contacted Vodafone immediately by telephone, but was told I would need to speak to Mobiles.co.uk.
    I immediately spoke to Mobiles.co.uk, who assured me they would look into the matter and I would hear back from them within days.
    This was the start of many phone calls placed to Mobiles.co.uk, and Vodafone, neither of which would take responsibility. This took place between March - May. Vodafone customer service were quite certain whenever I called that this was not something Vodafone could do a thing about - because of the relationship between Carphone Warehouse and Vodafone. Carphone Warehouse were quite certain there was nothing that could be done, not until some crucial conversation had happened between themselves and Vodafone, to confirm the facts - something they never succeeded in doing, despite repeated promises that this would happen.

In May, my partner emigrated and I went to live with him abroad for awhile. We left the SIM with a friend - there seemed to be no way of resolving this erroneous billing - Mobiles.co.uk would lie that they would do something, and insist that they were writing notes, but there would never be any when I called back, and Vodafone would just say, talk to Mobiles.co.uk. Neither of us could figure out what to do, and I decided I wanted to protect my credit score, so would keep paying the bills until the contract was over. Much upset and grief was caused, stress created, frustration, and anger at our mistreatment. It was easier just to put it all aside and accept that we were being ripped off, than try to get somewhere - every time it seemed like perhaps we had, after a very long conversation involving multiple Mobiles.co.uk staff, or having been passed around to multiple Vodafone staff, nothing would come of it, and it would be as if nothing had ever happened.

Between May and October, the SIM was used. It is very unfortunate that it was not kept to the 2GB usage, but we had given up at this point. The cashback (£130 ish, see attached documents) was also not paid, due to the bills being submitted not being those that Mobiles.co.uk expected to see related to this contract/claim. I had informed them of the discrepancy prior to claiming, but nonetheless the cashback was declined, so we didn't get that either. I thought it may as well be put to some use (I regret this in hindsight - I should have continued to barely use it, and continued fighting to get refunded, but I had more going on in my life than trying to get a bill straightened out). At this point, I was not aware it was a 24 month contract - I had not thought to ask anyone to confirm the contract end date, had just assumed it would be the one on my order confirmation (see attached).

In September 2016, I called Vodafone to cancel the contract. I was told an exit fee of over £200 would be applicable, as I was told, the contract had a 24 month duration (I had signed a 12 month contract).

I didn't know what to do! I had just started my second year of University. I was very upset, and shocked, and felt terribly badly treated - I was now expected to pay hundreds and hundreds of pounds more, for a contract I had never agreed to.
    I didn't know where to turn.

On 28th October my partner decided to post about this matter on the Money Saving Expert forum, to ask for help as to what to do next. We were not aware of the Resolver service until today 28/11/16.

On 11/11/16 Carly from Vodafone posted suggesting I use the Social Escalations Form with code WRT135. I have since spoken to a number of staff (it is usually a different member who responds to every e-mail). All communication has been by e-mail (at my request), the ticket number is #14711125. I have not been offered my money back, only a partial refund.

A few days ago, I decided I would have to go to the Ombudsman. I have wasted a huge amount of time over this, been caused a great deal of stress, been lied to, had to try and "haggle" simply for a full rather than partial refund, argue my case, over and over, it has been a total nightmare. I have been given the impression that I am believed to be a liar, whenever I have mentioned the numerous phonecalls I placed in the past to Vodafone and Mobiles.co.uk, since through no fault of mine, your systems do not automatically create call records. I do not know who is responsible, but I do know that Vodafone have taken responsibility, apologized and tried to take "corrective action" (which has led to further shambles).

A few days ago (23/11/16), I was shocked to receive an e-mail confirming that I have agreed (I have not!) to a 12 month contract with Vodafone, beginning 22/11/16. I cried, not for the first time over this matter.

Firstly, I would like a refund of the difference in line rental for 6 months of the first 12 month period.
    That is £124.20 (£36-£18.30=£20.70*6).
    Secondly, I would like a refund of all charges, including any for a "notice period" since the end of the minimum contract term that I actually agreed to and was incorrectly refused permission to give notice of cancellation for in September - 12 months. I have not placed the SIM inside a phone since that 12 month period ended.

Since I stupidly decided to "give up" straightening out this contract I was being forced to pay for, from May onwards, I will leave it up to you as to whether or not you refund me £124.20 (£36-£18.30=£20.70*6) for that period. I understand that if you were to bill me for this usage as "out of allowance" it would be much higher. However, I at this time doubted I would ever be refunded because taking Vodafone to court seemed too time consuming and not something I have any knowledge of, and all my time and effort had gotten me nowhere - which is shocking, quite frankly - how can something like this happen with any company, let alone one with thousands of staff and a global brand.

I have spent at least 40 hours on this. My time is valuable to me. I have felt frustration, sadness, exasperation, defeated, very stressed, angry, incredulous. I have cried on multiple occasions. Upon sitting down to spend some more time on this today my partner asked me not to, said whenever I look at this, I get very stressed. But I'm determined to follow this to the end - I need that money back, I know I won't get this time back. I will need to take a short break and then get back to my degree once I send this. I really hope this is the end of months of stress and despair. I mean that.

The thought of signing up for any sort of contractual minimum length agreement, direct debit agreement, or giving my personal information to a company is quite scary now - I know this is very unusual, but I also know that if something goes wrong, you're at the company's mercy, and the fact that I've been signed into a new contract without a hint of any sort of permission or mention of, or anything whatsoever that could ever be mistaken to even vaguely resemble wishes to sign a new contract with you, and be subject to all the problems and incompetence that I have been over the last 12 months, is quite insane... and I wonder also, perhaps illegal?

Please reply back via this email address, as I would like to keep all my communications in one place.

Yours sincerely,

(me)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family