PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this usual??

Comments

• Ithaca wrote: »
    Can you make exchange or completion subject to a final walk-through of the property?

That is such a good idea!
  • definitely make sure you get confirmation from a qualified Corgi person that they were removed safely - It'll probably be more hassle that it's worth for them to remove
  • anna_1977 wrote: »
    definitely make sure you get confirmation from a qualified Corgi person that they were removed safely - It'll probably be more hassle that it's worth for them to remove

This is a good shout as I'm guessing the vendor intends to remove it himself. Will definitely make sure that's part of it if it goes that way!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    For the record - it's now 'Gas Safe Register' rather than 'Corgi Registration'.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • HOW much for a gas fire?

I picked exactly the one I wanted for my current house - and it was NOT cheap - and I think it was around £500 from memory (and that's a brand new one).

When I bought my first house - the vendor was like that. I've never forgotten him trying to charge me more (quite a bit more!) for something secondhand there than I would have to pay if I bought it brand new.

He also tried to charge me for a grotty, old-fashioned carpet that couldnt possibly be adapted to fit any other room anyway and he wanted money for a grotty, old-fashioned cooker (which I didnt want anyway).

I just told him I wasnt going to pay any extra at all for any "bits" at all and took the view that, if they were there when I moved in then they were there. If they werent there - they werent there - but at least I wouldnt have been overcharged for them.

The dearer item he wanted to charge me more for than a brand new one would cost was gone - which I rather expected, so I just shrugged. The tatty carpet was still there (which I also expected). The tatty freestanding cooker was gone (thank goodness:)).

I suggest you take the same attitude - ie tell him words to the effect of "I'm not paying any extra for anything. The law states that any 'fixtures and fittings' can't be taken away by the vendor anyway. BTW - if you decide to break the law and remove them - then you can expect to hear further if you leave the place unsafe (ie gas fire not capped off properly). It probably counts as manslaughter if someone dies from carbon monoxide poisoning if you had tried to do a DIY removal job of that fire".

I suspect the fire will still be there - precisely because he wouldnt want the police turning up on his doorstep for having harmed you because he didn't cap the fire off properly (ie he did a DIY job - rather than having it done properly). If he has a scrap of sense he won't want to be seen as responsible for having killed or injured you will he?
  • The law states that any 'fixtures and fittings' can't be taken away by the vendor anyway.
    Vendor can take away whatever they please. However if they are taking fixtures and fittings this must be explicitly stated. Which is what is happening in this case.

[edit]Actually think it's fixtures only that must be explicitly excluded from the sale[edit]
  • Our last vendor (2014) was odd! He no longer lived at the house, which he'd only bought it in 2000 because it had belonged to his ex-gf's parents, he then proceeded to keep it as some sort of 'shrine' to them - which basically excused him from doing any updating, despite being a millionaire several times over :mad:

Anyway, he wanted the buyer - in this case us - to pay extra for the Aga. We didn't want it as we planned to swap the kitchen out into a larger room. When he filled out the F&F form it had price for the Aga - can't remember how much now - but we declined. When we moved in it was still there. We later sold it for a few hundred £££ :D

Otoh, between exchange and completion he noticed the (unfitted) washing machine had broken and quite unexpectedly he offered us £300 for a new one, which was a bonus as we had our own we were taking from our previous house.......
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Our last vendor (2014) was odd! He no longer lived at the house, which he'd only bought it in 2000 because it had belonged to his ex-gf's parents, he then proceeded to keep it as some sort of 'shrine' to them - which basically excused him from doing any updating, despite being a millionaire several times over :mad:

Anyway, he wanted the buyer - in this case us - to pay extra for the Aga. We didn't want it as we planned to swap the kitchen out into a larger room. When he filled out the F&F form it had price for the Aga - can't remember how much now - but we declined. When we moved in it was still there. We later sold it for a few hundred £££ :D

Otoh, between exchange and completion he noticed the (unfitted) washing machine had broken and quite unexpectedly he offered us £300 for a new one, which was a bonus as we had our own we were taking from our previous house.......

Was the girlfriend an ex-girlfriend when he bought the house?!
  • the normal rule is, if you were turn the house upside down, any thing that doesn't move should be included, so a fitted oven / hob / wm should be included, but a freestanding fridge wouldnt
  • gregsayer wrote: »
    the normal rule is, if you were turn the house upside down, any thing that doesn't move should be included, so a fitted oven / hob / wm should be included, but a freestanding fridge wouldnt

Expensive light fittings should be included or not?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure