Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CJrodge wrote: »
    Hi everyone, it's my first time to post on here. Yesterday I received a phone call and the lady told me I have won £1000. I was pretty shocked so I didn't take all the info in, but I'm pretty sure she said it was from either magic or heart fm. All she wanted me to do was confirm they had my name spelt right and my address correct. She didn't ask me to sign up to a lottery syndicate like the other calls I get! Although I was expecting that! She said it's a cheque and it will posted within 28 days. I so want it to be real but I just don't know what to think as iv never won before. Any advice is appreciated xxx

If they had all of your details and did not ask for your bank details then I hope its a genuine win.
    Perhaps you could facebook or twitter them just asking to confirm whether you have won.

:T
  • puddintae
    Options
    Everyone be most careful of a Facebook site called Social Discount Network UK. They are running competitions and the winners are not getting their prizes. People who have actually ordered merchandise and paid are not getting their orders It is a scam and everyone steer clear of them. I won with them on 3 separate occasions. When I inquired about the whereabouts of my first prize I was given three different excuses and then they would award me another prize which never came. None of the prizes have come. This is the case with several people. Some people had won vouchers only to find out when trying to use them they don't exists. Thank you
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    puddintae wrote: »
    Everyone be most careful of a Facebook site called Social Discount Network UK. They are running competitions and the winners are not getting their prizes. People who have actually ordered merchandise and paid are not getting their orders It is a scam and everyone steer clear of them. I won with them on 3 separate occasions. When I inquired about the whereabouts of my first prize I was given three different excuses and then they would award me another prize which never came. None of the prizes have come. This is the case with several people. Some people had won vouchers only to find out when trying to use them they don't exists. Thank you

Trust me you don't want the stuff they send you. It falls apart/breaks easy.
    Jan Wins: .
  • SuzMac
    Options
    (Sorry it is QUIZWIN - based in Netherland)Stupidly followed a link last night ..can't remember if it was via Twitter or Facebook offering some Tesco vouchers…Had to click a link and then answer a question..did that and then was sent a text for verification. I followed all the instructions, and discovered today that this is subscription type thing, whichc arries on taking £4.50 from your mobile phone every month until you cease it. It promises monthly prizes.. think this is very unlikely to be a winning service!
    Perhaps this does not quite count as a scam…but its taken the coney for the first 'subscription', and if I hadnt checked this morning, I would have carried on paying without knowing..and thinking it was my mobile was gettign expensive! So I would say to my fellow moneytsavers..BEWARE!!!
  • sofieellis
    Options
    Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've never checked this thread before, but will do from now on, it's really helpful.

I receive about one email every day (3 so far this morning though!), telling me I will receive/have won a voucher. It's different every time, sometimes it's for M&S, othertimes for Amazon or different supermarkets. When I click on the email, the inside tells me I could "Be the next winner", or "How would you like to have £100 worth of ASDA vouchers?" etc. Sometimes the amounts on the email title don't match the one inside and occasionally the company I'm supposed to have won with are different too!

I always click on phishing scam for them, but they all come from different email addresses. The thing they all have in common is that they all end with:

Click here for removal

Or send mail to:
    Borsigstr. 9 10115
    Berlin Germany

The thing is, they are driving me mad, but I'm scared to even click the removal thing, in case that is a scam in itself. Do I just put up with deleting them as I get them, or is it safe to remove them?
  • defairmans
    Options
    sofieellis wrote: »

Do I just put up with deleting them as I get them, or is it safe to remove them?

I get 50 of these a day. They are driving me mad. DO NOT reply or unsubscribe to them because they will just send more once they know the account is active. HTH. :D
  • Kelos
    Kelos Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just letting you know that I received a letter today from a place called The Prize Directory in Hereford HR9 9FN saying I will have won a valuable prize if my unique ID matches a winning number. There is a number they want you to ring (09061 583501) that charges £1.50 a minute, or you can text or send a S.A.E.
    There was a similar scam going round a few years back I think, so I thought I'd just warn you all to be on the lookout again.
    I hate people like this!!
  • Dew_Green_Lady
    Dew_Green_Lady Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2016 at 12:42PM
    Options
    Just came here to post the same one Kelos. I got the letter too.

Anyone got an email for them so I can send them my killer stop processing my data letter?

They should be fined out of existence.

TBH I think the best thing to do with this is to pop it into an envelope without a stamp and send it back to them.
    Shhhhhhh...
  • Clarelouise73
    Options
    I got this letter today too!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills