Bankruptcy Credit Reference File Clean Up - Discussion

Options

Comments

• jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spoke to NPower who said they will take off the late payments within 48hrs. Fingers crossed they do.
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • rivers68
    Options
    hi folks advice please as I keep getting told conflicting information..
    I was declared bankrupt 4/2/2009 I was discharged on the 26/7/2009. so began the long road to recovery after 6 years I check my Experian credit file all good everything clear credit rating excellent, so I apply for a new bank account no problem, I have just applied for a mortgage oops!!! my mortgage lender explains there is a problem on Equifax so I sign up and low and behold I have a mortgage default and repossession on there from Barclays it was included in my bankruptcy I checked the paperwork and spoke to the guys at insolvency uk. so I write to the data controller at Barclays and speak to Equifax to raise the issue, I received a letter today from Barclays informing me that the default will not leave my file until may 2016 as that was when the house was repossessed.???????
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    http://debtcamel.co.uk/credit-file-after-bankruptcy/
    the situation with a secured debt such as a mortgage is slightly more complicated.
    • If you carry on paying your mortgage, not falling into arrears, then a default should not be recorded.
    • If you have stopped paying the mortgage before bankruptcy or when you go bankrupt and a default should be recorded with the bankruptcy date.
    • If you initially carried on paying the mortgage after bankruptcy but later stopped, the default date should be the date you went bankrupt, see ICO guidance in 2007 which stated:
      “[paragraph 14] [If the loan has been included in a bankruptcy] the default should be filed in accordance with the guidance in paragraphs 47 – 48
      [paragraph 48] If the customer stops payment at a later stage, the default recorded should show the date of the IVA or bankruptcy and the fact that it was settled only by IVA or bankruptcy…”
    3) Problems with mortgage debts
    It can be harder to get mortgage lenders to correct a date. If the lender has recorded the default date as being the date your house was repossessed not the date of your bankruptcy, you should include in your letter the quote from the ICO guidance in 2007 that is given above.
    However it seems that the ICO is failing to apply its own guidelines with this type of situation – if the ICO rejects your complaint, you should complain to the Financial Ombudsman. Here are two cases where the Financial Ombudsman has upheld the complaints, applying the rules about dates as they are described in this article: HSBC mortgage case and Platform mortgage case.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • jak
    Options
    Lloyds have updated all 4 accounts as settled but one yas the wrong default date on it. 6 months later than bankruptcy. Do I need to write to them again for that account? Also they have only updated Equifax not the others. Should I mention this in my letter or leave it as only been a week since I sent it? And flipping Npower haven't taken off the defaults on my account yet despite saying they would do it with 48 hours! No surprises there then! Will call them again tmr! X
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    I've spoken to Lloyds and they have corrected the date of default. Npower have removed the incorrect markers also. Creation and another one have not responded at all which is annoying! Will follow up with a phone call tmr and ask they to get on with it! Just want it sorted now! X
  • fermi
    Options
    Good progress. Hopefully they will sort that without need for the FOS or ICO
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• jak
    Options
    Lloyds is now sorted on all cra. Creation haven't done it yet an nor have one other so will have to follow-up with a phone call! And talk talk have put a not received marker on my account because I paid by speedy payment not direct debit!!! Argh! That should cone off next month!!! X
  • missyp123
    missyp123 Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    quick bit of advice if possible again please :/

after sendning letters 9 motnhs or so ago i have spotted a problem on our files. Halifax repo has changed dates but have put the dates of dicharge under the default section...is this normal? i was expecting to see eother our BR date or the repo date.

we were BR JULY 2010
    Repo August 2010
    Discharged July 2011

Any ideas on how to approach this if it wrong please (via experian or backt o halifax)? we were hoping to apply for a mtg at the end of next year :/

Tia
  • leonard99
    Options
    Hi All,

Firstly thanks for a great thread.... so much useful info on here so apologies if I have missed an answer to this question.

I was declared bankrupt in May last year and am following the guide on cleaning up my file... only issue that 2 of my creditors have sold my debt to debt collection agencies. So do I contact the original lender or the agency asking them to correct the default date and settlement status?

Any advice greatly appreciared!
  • fermi
    Options
    You contact the company who is listed on your credit file for the debt.

If that is the collector that bought it, and they are listed on your credit file, then the legal responsibility to correct has passed to them.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback