PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I stop paying for my host?

Options
Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 25 August 2015 at 5:42PM in House buying, renting & selling
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

A friend of mine has kindly offered to let me stay at her place while I find work in London. While I chip in very little to stay there, I end up paying for a lot of her everyday costs - food, drinks etc. It still adds up to less than what I'd pay for rent anywhere else, but I just don't have the money to fund her while I'm not working. Should I just stop or move out?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• rachiibell
    rachiibell Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Since she's a friend talk to her!!

Maybe take it in turns to buy and cook dinner each night or do a weekly shop together and agree on a budget beforehand. When you have a guest staying it's easy to go a bit overboard and spend more than you're used to so she might be glad to cut back on things a bit too.
  • DandelionPatrol
    Options
    Nick, this is the House Buying, Renting & Selling forum and your post seems to be a bit off-topic, more suited to the Marriage, Relationships & Families forum.

Perhaps if you ask, a mod will move it for you?
  • ClaireD85
    ClaireD85 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Pay your way.
  • Innys1
    Innys1 Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    Options
    What's the alternative? Rent and end up paying probably treble the cost?

Either pay up or move somewhere (a lot) cheaper.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You've not provided us with data in which to have a proper answer.

How are you paying for her food/drink? If I've bought a 40p loaf and some cheap marg then I wouldn't begrudge her having some toast!
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hiya, I think it is very kind of your friend to let you stay in her pad/ personal space.
    You say you pay towards food and drink. Is that at home or eat out?
    I think I would do a grocery shop once a week to share, of what you are willing to spend and say thats it. Stop going out to bars/ restaurants etc....
    London is not cheap!

Wile staying at the flat try to be a helpful guest.
    = wash the dishes, empty bins and offer to cook the dinner.

Give your friend some space. Go to a diffrent room or go out for a hours walk.

Good luck with the job hunting.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this another of the Moneysaving hypothetical scenarios?

We have had this before - if it ain't a real problem with a real person needing help, keep it off the forum please!
  • Laurensalive
    Options
    I would say pay your way.But make sure this kind act of a bed is not being taken for granted. Basic things like buying the toilet paper both should buy this and there own usual items. I would myself help with the cleaning, rubbish. But do my own shopping. I would ask, how much do I owe as my contribution to the power bills etc. After moving out send an email and basically say thank you. I would keep on good terms with this person. As you never know if you need a good turn again.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is like one of the Pamela Stephenson agony aunt things. If it revitalizes their sex life, I don't think there's any problem with the goldfish watching.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What you are doing is 'cheaper than renting', yet you still can't afford it? So your options seem to be pay even less than you are already doing to a friend helping you out, try to find another friend you can take even more advantage of, or give up on job-hunting in London and return, presumably, to your parents' house?

Maybe I've had it too easy being in the same job for ten years, but is job-hunting in London really such a slow and long-winded process that this could even become the long-term problem the dilemma makes it out to be?

Maybe you're just not good enough to get a job in London. Try in Hull, it's much cheaper :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure