Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 19th May 15, 4:58 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    0 WOW
    Long haul flight stopover tips
    • 19th May 15, 4:58 PM
    0 WOW
    Long haul flight stopover tips 19th May 15 at 4:58 PM
    Hi folks,

We want to know if you've found any flight bargains, simply by flying via another city, or stopping over instead of flying direct. We want to know where you went, how much you saved, how you did it and if you think it's worth it.

Any good ones may even make it into our Cheap Flights guide to inspire others .

Thanks
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 19-05-2015 at 5:01 PM.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 19th May 15, 5:44 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 7,288 Thanks
    richardw
    • 19th May 15, 5:44 PM
    • 19th May 15, 5:44 PM
    Extra time can be holiday entitlement wasting and stopping over missed flight risky, so the money saved isn't sometimes worth it.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 19th May 15, 9:19 PM
    • 11,487 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 19th May 15, 9:19 PM
    • 19th May 15, 9:19 PM
    Hi folks,

We want to know if you've found any flight bargains, simply by flying via another city, or stopping over instead of flying direct. We want to know where you went, how much you saved, how you did it and if you think it's worth it.

Any good ones may even make it into our Cheap Flights guide to inspire others .

Thanks
    Originally posted by MSE Sally
    A rather pointless question, since most screen-scrapers will show fares using both direct and indirect routes, and while indirect flights generally cost less you can't put a figure on it since fares vary from moment to moment.

Personally I have saved a vast amount of money by taking indirect flights. I used to travel regularly to Cotonou (Republic of Benin) and since the only way to fly there directly from the UK is to charter your own aircraft, the tedious wait in Paris was very cost-effective.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 19th May 15, 10:22 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 7,288 Thanks
    richardw
    • 19th May 15, 10:22 PM
    • 19th May 15, 10:22 PM
    The main problems with the current guide are

the Opodo recommendation, they have such bad reviews, is MSE that desperate for Opodo click thru revenues?

The easyJet flexi fare trick, does it still work as MSE suggests?

Some of the long haul stop over tricks may be on poor aircraft with no inflight entertainment.

The guide suggests travelling in winter with risky stopovers that aren't on through ticketing itineraries with no mention of the risk of winter weather on flight delays and missed connections which could cancel all of the remaining flights in the itinerary.
    • SimonSays
    • By SimonSays 20th May 15, 7:42 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    SimonSays
    • 20th May 15, 7:42 AM
    • 20th May 15, 7:42 AM
    I'll stick with KLM, less risky and a quick trip to Amsterdam so its win win
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 20th May 15, 5:15 PM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 20th May 15, 5:15 PM
    • 20th May 15, 5:15 PM
    I'll stick with KLM, less risky and a quick trip to Amsterdam so its win win
    Originally posted by SimonSays
    Always sticking with KLM is unlikely to be win-win. For my personal travel I've never, ever come across a quote for a trip I'm taking where KLM has been cheapest. Depending on where/when you travel they may be cheapest for you a lot of the time, but are unlikely to be all the time.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 20th May 15, 5:55 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 7,288 Thanks
    richardw
    • 20th May 15, 5:55 PM
    • 20th May 15, 5:55 PM
    Btw Klm are sardining, their long haul aircraft are changing from 3-3-3 seating to 3-4-3.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th May 15, 7:44 PM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 20th May 15, 7:44 PM
    • 20th May 15, 7:44 PM
    I always thought that a 'stopover' is when you actually stop and enter the country for a few days at the transit point, on the way to your final destination, which usually adds to the ticket price. And this question is about flights involving a transfer or 'layover' between flights on a long-haul route, remaining in transit at the airport. It's well known that this kind of ticket is nearly always cheaper than flying direct or non-stop to your destination, with extended layover time or other inconvenience tending to reduce the price further.
    Evolution, not revolution
    • richardw
    • By richardw 20th May 15, 8:07 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 7,288 Thanks
    richardw
    • 20th May 15, 8:07 PM
    • 20th May 15, 8:07 PM
    ....this question is about flights involving a transfer or 'layover' between flights on a long-haul route, remaining in transit at the airport.....
    Originally posted by eDicky
    There are cheaper prices if you are prepared to risk 2 separate airlines, ie easyJet to Zurich and flydubai onward to Dubai.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th May 15, 8:36 PM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    eDicky
    There are cheaper prices if you are prepared to risk 2 separate airlines, ie easyJet to Zurich and flydubai onward to Dubai.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Ah yes, this could come under 'other inconvenience', the risk you mention plus the hassle of immigration, baggage reclaim, checking in again, immigration again, security...
    Evolution, not revolution
    • SimonSays
    • By SimonSays 20th May 15, 9:52 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    SimonSays
    Always sticking with KLM is unlikely to be win-win. For my personal travel I've never, ever come across a quote for a trip I'm taking where KLM has been cheapest. Depending on where/when you travel they may be cheapest for you a lot of the time, but are unlikely to be all the time.
    Originally posted by callum9999
    For me they have been, Helps the girlfriend works for them

Btw Klm are sardining, their long haul aircraft are changing from 3-3-3 seating to 3-4-3.
    I wouldn't know. Business class has a 2-2-2 or a 2-2 config.
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 21st May 15, 3:27 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Kernow666
    back in april i travelled to Melbourne from heathrow for £433 return
    this is because i booked it

heathrow-dubai
    dubai-brunei
    brunei-melbourne

2hr stopovers in Dubai & Brunei

flew with royal brunei airlines
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • Crispy Ambulance
    • By Crispy Ambulance 22nd May 15, 10:00 AM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Crispy Ambulance
    Extra time can be holiday entitlement wasting and stopping over missed flight risky, so the money saved isn't sometimes worth it.
    Or you could look at it as adding an extra day to your holiday! We are flying to the US this summer from Dublin, which saved us several hundred pounds, even including the Ryanair flight to Dublin and the overnight stop.

I agree that you have to add in extra time - we are going to Dublin the day before to avoid the panic of a delayed flight and making it the start of the holiday. We are returning directly to the UK as I didn't want to have to hang around in Dublin feeling exhausted while we waited for a flight back - again you'd have to allow several hours between flights to cover delays. I guess you could stop over another night but with most transatlantic flights getting in early in the morning, it makes it a very long day.

We flew indirect last year as well and although it was a long day, it all worked fine. In fact, we all enjoyed the fact that the flights themselves were shorter and you got so break up the journey and stretch your legs at the airports.

It all comes down to a time vs money calculation - if you want to get there quicker, you will pay a higher price (often). If you don't mind taking a little longer, you can pay less.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
    • richardw
    • By richardw 22nd May 15, 6:33 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 7,288 Thanks
    richardw
    What's your back up plan if the flight to Dublin is cancelled Crispy A?
    • Susan1942
    • By Susan1942 22nd May 15, 7:52 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Susan1942
    I fly to Australia every year or so 22years ago I got a bargain back then for Flight UK to Perth Sydney Brisbane and return for £675 with Qantas
    I booked a flight to Perth out of Manchester via Dubai return for the unbelievable fare of £695 yes 22'years later That fare has now increased to £1065
    I will often spend a couple of nights in Singapore if I fly with Singapore Airlines
    I travel alone and would not consider flying all over the place and add hours or days on to my travel Just not worth it By the time you pay for meals or hotel etc you may find you save nothing
    I live in Yorkshire and have to change somewhere I prefer to fly out of Manchester rather than fly to Heathrow
    I don't price is everything it all about not adding stress to that badly needed holiday Could spoil your holiday if things go wrong on the return journey
    There are good prices out there as I have found on my upcoming trip to Oz
    • Susan1942
    • By Susan1942 22nd May 15, 8:04 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Susan1942
    Just realised that I failed to say that the trip with Emirates is for December 2015 returning January 2016 A fare at £695 at this time of year is exceptional
    I have often paid in excess of £1000 There are bargains out there
    One other problem if flying with different Airlines can present another problem with baggage etc Thinking of the person who is flying to Dublin with Ryanair eg
    Too many IF's for me
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 22nd May 15, 11:06 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    I dont think flydubai fly from Zurich..

Zageb , Sofia , Vienna and Prague yes.
    Last edited by budgetflyer; 22-05-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    • Crispy Ambulance
    • By Crispy Ambulance 25th May 15, 5:22 PM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Crispy Ambulance
    What's your back up plan if the flight to Dublin is cancelled Crispy A?
    We deliberately booked a flight early in the day so there are a number of later flights. And we can get to a number of different airports if necessary. You can't plan for every eventuality but I'm confident we'll get there by other means if necessary!
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 25th May 15, 5:34 PM
    • 21,894 Posts
    • 55,910 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We're finding ourselves having to go to London so often now, that we are considering Dublin. It's just as near to us.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Finishrich
    • By Finishrich 27th May 15, 8:21 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Finishrich
    I guess it depends where you're flying to but for me going forward I'd rather have all flights on one ticket. Having found out to my cost a few weeks ago.

Originally looked at BA and to get to the destination would take 3 flights plus overnight stay in LAX. Because of flight schedules there was no quicker way.

Then I heard a charter company were launching a new route which meant just 2 flights and I'd get there on the same day. This meant booking a flight to London and then the charter flight. So what's happened..... The charter airline have pulled the route before it's even started. (I actually had to call them as the news was online before they'd even told their booked customers and it wouldn't let me log into my booking, it just came up with the message You have cancelled the flight) - yeah they've refunded the money I paid them but I'm now out of pocket for the flights to London which are of no use. I thought I had a pretty decent travel insurance policy but they won't pay out because it not medical and the airline haven't gone out of business.

Just something to be aware of.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,948Posts Today

5,536Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin