Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 12th May 15, 10:36 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Travel Money & Foreign Exchange Tips guide
    • 12th May 15, 10:36 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel Money & Foreign Exchange Tips guide 12th May 15 at 10:36 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 1
    • jimlad68
    • By jimlad68 20th May 15, 11:21 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimlad68
    • 20th May 15, 11:21 AM
    Halifax Clarity card - still pay cash machine fees
    • 20th May 15, 11:21 AM
    We are told that Halifax Clarity card is the best way to get Foreign Currency

1- is when you are in the foreign country, you can't do it before!

2- I was going to use my Halifax Clarity card abroad in the USA, but could not find a machine that did not charge it's own fee, so this rather negates the savings of 0%, and one then has to subsequently pay interest on the cash. I've not done the calculations but does that still make it cheaper than buying currency before you go.
    Is there a way to find cash dispensers that don't charge thheir own fee?

Just interested
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 20th May 15, 4:09 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Kernow666
    • 20th May 15, 4:09 PM
    • 20th May 15, 4:09 PM
    i have used my clairty card when i was last in the US , i did find some free to use ATMS in las vegas & LA but yes the majority still charge $1-$3 per transaction so i ended up taking out $500 then using the card for larger purchases , even when with paying the interest when i got back home i was still 5cents a dollar better off
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • jimlad68
    • By jimlad68 20th May 15, 5:20 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimlad68
    • 20th May 15, 5:20 PM
    • 20th May 15, 5:20 PM
    cheers Kernow666, I had heard there were some free to use ATMs, but I never found any. I did ask Halifax before I went, but they had no idea. I don't think Halifax (Lloyds) have any foreign branches so must be pot luck, although I suspect it would be in a bank or credit union etc. Mind, when I tried to use an HSBC card in a HSBC bank in the USA some years ago, they were going to charge me just the same as if I went anywhere else.
    • RobJuth
    • By RobJuth 29th Jun 15, 12:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobJuth
    • 29th Jun 15, 12:51 PM
    • 29th Jun 15, 12:51 PM
    Hi,
    Any ideas?
    I have a Halifax clarity card which I usually use in France BUT - in Sept I needs 1500 euros in cash to pay for Gite rental. Suggestions on the best way to do this would be welcome.
    Thanks
  • mattjnash
    • 29th Jun 15, 2:40 PM
    • 29th Jun 15, 2:40 PM
    They won't let you pay by credit card beforehand? Although we didn't have to pay for our accommodation in Italy this year until checking out, as the exchange rate was so good I arranged with the properties to pay in advance.

Failing that if you can take the cash out in France using the Clarity Card then you won't get charged a fee and a tip I used in France last year was to keep track of the balance on the card and paid it off as I went along rather than waiting to pay in full at the end of the month and racking up a whole month's worth of interest, as you only get charged interest on the days the balance is outstanding.
    • RobJuth
    • By RobJuth 29th Jun 15, 4:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobJuth
    • 29th Jun 15, 4:58 PM
    • 29th Jun 15, 4:58 PM
    Thanks mattjnash but I have a £500 a day limit on the card and need to pay in two days, I also need money for fuel, tolls, hotel and meals. Leaves me a bit short.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 3rd Jul 15, 9:34 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 3rd Jul 15, 9:34 PM
    • 3rd Jul 15, 9:34 PM
    Thanks mattjnash but I have a £500 a day limit on the card and need to pay in two days, I also need money for fuel, tolls, hotel and meals. Leaves me a bit short.
    Originally posted by RobJuth
    £500 per day via ATM? You can still use the card for purchases.

Don't want to state the obvious, but...get another card. If in or around London, get a Metro Bank debit card. If not, get a Kalixa Pay Prepaid Mastercard(if you can get a referral, you'll get a £5 rebate).
    Take the max out via an ATM each time and you only lose 0.8% of the full Mastercard rate after all charges. Purchases offer the same rate as the Clarity.
    So together they give you a total of £800 per day via ATM and you've still got the opportunity to use them for purchases.
    • brisk
    • By brisk 3rd Jul 15, 10:23 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    brisk
    • 3rd Jul 15, 10:23 PM
    • 3rd Jul 15, 10:23 PM
    Is there a better debit card than Metro Bank for using your card outside of Europe?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 4th Jul 15, 5:49 AM
    • 12,715 Posts
    • 16,899 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Is there a better debit card than Metro Bank for using your card outside of Europe?
    Originally posted by brisk
    Norwich and Peterborough BS

And not forgetting the rather controversial Travelex Supercard.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 4th Jul 15, 12:06 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    adindas
    We are told that Halifax Clarity card is the best way to get Foreign Currency
    Originally posted by jimlad68
    It is not true. It should read ...
    Halifax Clarity card is ONE of the best way to get Foreign Currency ..

If you could get a zero fee debitcard such as from Metro Bank (for EU), N&P zero fee debit card, Santander Zero (no more avaible), Cumberland BS (mostly for people living around those areas). It is better to withdraw cash using this cards as you do not need to pay any interest or do not need a hassle to pay immediately to avoid small interest.

Also Travellex Supercard is better than Halifax clarity Card (apart from the fact that it is a Visa card)
    Last edited by adindas; 04-07-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 4th Jul 15, 12:14 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    adindas
    i have used my clairty card when i was last in the US , i did find some free to use ATMS in las vegas & LA but yes the majority still charge $1-$3 per transaction so i ended up taking out $500 then using the card for larger purchases , even when with paying the interest when i got back home i was still 5cents a dollar better off
    Originally posted by Kernow666
    This is nothing to do with Halifax clarity. In some countries like US, Thailand and few other countries in Asia, there is always unavidable charge you for using their ATM. So whatever non US/Local cards you are using to withdraw cash there is no way you could avoid this fee when using their cash machines. But you still get the best conversion rate done by Master card (+ no avaidable ATM usage fee).

The fee for this ATM usage fee is flat per transaction (e.g does not depend on the amount you withdraw). So the trick in dealing with this is when withdrawing cash, draw the maximum you could up to your daily withdrawal limit. Doing this even after adding the tiny cash witdrawal fee you coudalways be miles bettern rather then using the money changer.
    Last edited by adindas; 04-07-2015 at 10:31 PM.
    • BaldacchinoR
    • By BaldacchinoR 8th Jul 15, 8:36 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    BaldacchinoR
    Cheap way to get foreign currency
    I wonder if anyone does what I do when abroad? I pay for friends or relatives bills, e.g supermarket shopping typically, with my credit card, and they give me the money in local currency. That way, if you use a card which charges any fees for drawing cash, it saves you going to the bank - its like getting cashback in the supermarket - and you avoid the fees.

I use my Santander Zero mastercard but this is no longer available. I also have the Post Office mastercard credit card and the Saga Platinum visa credit card. The last two cards are suggested by MSE for use abroad. Each charges fees/interest for cash transactions but not for payments to retailers.
  • stevemarr
    travel money we swap card
    had my doubts as had never heard of this,so authenticated that they are full members of mastercard,and tested card in uk before risking it abroad,works at all merchants and atms accepting card but must be with your pin,cannot be used over telephone.card can be loaded with pounds minimum load £50 and max £1000 in any one day,you then can xchange into several currencies,i used euros,at immediate,1 -3 days or 7 days to wait.whilst it saves tiny commission i heavily recommend the immediate swap as saves worrying about delays,and normally converts within 5 minutes.on return from holiday had few euros left so converted back to pounds and can spend on petrol,shopping etc in uk no problem.very easy to get card dont think any credit checks received in about 2 days,so allow at laest 7 days to get card and check works and load up before travelling.
    • busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 23rd Aug 15, 10:38 AM
    • 4,327 Posts
    • 11,513 Thanks
    busiscoming2
    I have a Halifax Clarity card. Is it better to take cash out abroad (Spain) from an ATM with the card or to exchange cash for euros before I go?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 23rd Aug 15, 1:01 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    eDicky
    Use the Clarity to withdraw your euros in Spain.
    Evolution, not revolution
    • Tragen
    • By Tragen 1st Feb 16, 2:22 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Tragen
    If I use my halifax clarity to withdraw euros abroad (Cyprus), I understand that I should pay it off the same day to avoid interest.

Should I just guess how much to pay off or will the ATM provide an amount?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 1st Feb 16, 3:33 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    eDicky
    If I use my halifax clarity to withdraw euros abroad (Cyprus), I understand that I should pay it off the same day to avoid interest.

Should I just guess how much to pay off or will the ATM provide an amount?
    Originally posted by Tragen
    Better to wait a day or two until 'settlement' and the transaction amount shows in your account. To 'pay off' before that will put your account into positive balance, which is against T&Cs for the credit card. Even if not paid off for a few days the interest accrued will be relatively miniscule.

The ATM will not show the GBP amount - assuming that you don't make the mistake of selecting 'Conversion' if a choice is offered, allowing the ATM to make the exchange at a lousy rate, instead of MasterCard.
    • Snapelover
    • By Snapelover 9th Mar 16, 8:17 AM
    • 432 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Snapelover
    Going on holiday to Rhodes in May and no idea what is best to go for with holiday money.

I have done travellers cheques years gone by and I like the idea of taking a set amount of money on holiday and exchanging whilst abroad. I don't want to use a credit card, I prefer to pay for things in cash.

What is my best bet these days?

Thanks.
    Mortgage free at 49
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 9th Mar 16, 10:11 AM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Kernow666
    Going on holiday to Rhodes in May and no idea what is best to go for with holiday money.

I have done travellers cheques years gone by and I like the idea of taking a set amount of money on holiday and exchanging whilst abroad. I don't want to use a credit card, I prefer to pay for things in cash.

What is my best bet these days?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Snapelover
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,848Posts Today

5,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin