Should I remind tradesman to cash my cheque?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Over two months ago a tradesman came to my property and did a good job, for which I gave him a cheque for £69. So far the cheque has not been drawn on my bank account. Should I get in touch and remind him, or trust that he will find it and deposit it before it expires?

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Basically if you have given him the cheque and has given you a receipt saying paid in full, it's his problem.

If he is that bad at running a business, he should go bust.

But don't spend that money, cheques are valid for six months from issue, so it could still be banked.

My reason for all of this experience, my dad was a builder.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • flyingflea
    Options
    I wouldn't bother, it's not your responsibility to do so. You've done your bit by giving them a cheque. You can't spend your life going around making sure everyone is doing theirs properly. They might take offence, anyway.
  • tony6403
    tony6403 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you are happy with his work a phone call or email to draw attention to the oversight would be the right thing.
    If he doesn't present the cheque for payment after that then your conscience will be clear.
    Forgotten but not gone.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    You paid the bill it's not your problem.

I have a relative who is a tradesman and he tells me that "cheques are a nuisance."
    He just keeps cheques until he has "a bundle" then just makes one trip to the bank every few weeks.
  • jhs14
    jhs14 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I have a similar problem (if you can call it that) - I made a thread about in in the quote sub forum - I had a tradesman do a £2.5k job for me over two months ago, I've not paid a penny and yet to recieve so much as a request for payment let alone an invoice!

Meanwhile the £2.5k sits gathering interest, I'm in no rush...
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    It sounds like a good idea to ignore it, but cheques don't really expire, it's just that banks tend not to accept them after 6 months. Until the cheque is cashed you still owe the money and the cheque is proof of the debt - he's perfectly entitled to demand payment after the 6 months is up. Only after 6 years does the debt become statute barred and no longer recoverable.

In all likelihood he'll realise when he comes to do his accounts and you'll have to pay up; why not save both of you some hassle and remind him to cash the cheque?
  • jmclusky
    jmclusky Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He might remember some day - and by then you might not have enough money in your account to cover the balance which will be worse off for you in the longer run.

I would say if you can guarantee you'll have enough money to cover the cheque for the foreseeable future, then leave it up to him - but if you feel you might be at risk of the cheque bouncing in a couple of months then probably best to remind him now.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    As long as you have updated your records to show the adjusted balance then it is his problem not yours, at least when he does cash it, you won't get a shock or be overdrawn because you forgot to allow for it.
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    I've had a local electrician do some work for me a few months ago..... Small re-wire job, only took an hour and he's done bits for me before. I have asked him about 4 times now by text and e-mail how much I owe him...... has never given me a price yet..... Crazy !!

Like the situation you describe, the way I look at it the onus is on him.....
  • sallysocks
    Options
    Which will leave you feeling better about yourself - hanging on and waiting for years, not daring to ask him again when another small job arises, looking the other way if you see him in Tesco......or picking up the phone and reminding him about it? He did the job well, you owe him the money, of course you should contact him. It's a matter of honesty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure