Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

'We've reached a tipping point' Signs of house price weakness

Options

Comments

• wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, let`s just hold that thought and see shall we?

You've been holding that thought since 1997.

A crash, when it happens (and it will), can only make your situation less worse rather than better and yet you still persist in asserting you can confidently forecast the direction of the housing market despite nearly two decades of evidence to the contrary. Knowing your luck prices will probably go up by another 25% before then crashing by 15% - you'll still attempt to call that a victory.
  • fordcapri2000
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    You've been holding that thought since 1997.

A crash, when it happens (and it will), can only make your situation less worse rather than better and yet you still persist in asserting you can confidently forecast the direction of the housing market despite nearly two decades of evidence to the contrary. Knowing your luck prices will probably go up by another 25% before then crashing by 15% - you'll still attempt to call that a victory.

So what!!

What is to you if people want to try an predict house price falls. why do you spend every minute of each and every working day/month/year getting upset about something that really is no big deal to you.

Personally I get really emotive and worked up about ISIS or child/animal/elderly abuse.

So what if people get it wrong, so what if people are making a big mistake in trying to predict an unpredictable market, so what if someone wants something cheaper for whatever reason that might be..

I find it more troubling that there is someone like you who has such an uncontrollable obsessive hatred of what are quite an innocent group of people who are dellusional at worst, where it leads to stalking and the actual googling and facebook stalking in the hope of getting even more dirt to vindicate their own disturbing behaviour.

Anyway Dude, good luck in yet another full day of putting those nasty people in there place who want cheaper houses or shock horror, might be trying to articulate what they believe to be true.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Personally I get really emotive and worked up about a nasty man on the internet who made me look like a bell end last year

FTFY, you're welcome.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So what!!

What is to you if people want to try an predict house price falls. why do you spend every minute of each and every working day/month/year getting upset about something that really is no big deal to you.

Personally I get really emotive and worked up about ISIS or child/animal/elderly abuse.

So what if people get it wrong, so what if people are making a big mistake in trying to predict an unpredictable market, so what if someone wants something cheaper for whatever reason that might be..

I find it more troubling that there is someone like you who has such an uncontrollable obsessive hatred of what are quite an innocent group of people who are dellusional at worst, where it leads to stalking and the actual googling and facebook stalking in the hope of getting even more dirt to vindicate their own disturbing behaviour.

Anyway Dude, good luck in yet another full day of putting those nasty people in there place who want cheaper houses or shock horror, might be trying to articulate what they believe to be true.

I think you forgot to sign out of your other login.
  • wotsthat
    Options

Has your psychiatrist ever talked to you about projection?
  • khards
    Options
    Looks like the tipping point was passed a while ago.
    It's a fact that after revisions prices have been falling for two months (August and September).

UK house prices fell by 0.2% in September

fd2151a2-2ae9-47f7-92f3-c1c2e133d58f-620x374.png
  • wotsthat
    Options
    khards wrote: »
    Looks like the tipping point was passed a while ago.
    It's a fact that after revisions prices have been falling for two months (August and September).

fd2151a2-2ae9-47f7-92f3-c1c2e133d58f-620x374.png

Wouldn't a graph showing falling prices make your point better than one where they're rising by 8% YoY.
  • gbsilp
    gbsilp Posts: 74 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2014 at 11:45AM
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    Wouldn't a graph showing falling prices make your point better than one where they're rising by 8% YoY.

I think you probably mean "they have risen by 8%" as opposed to "they're rising" by 8%".....
  • wotsthat
    Options
    gbsilp wrote: »
    I think you probably mean "they have risen by 8%" as opposed to "they're rising" by 8%".....

Yes apologies for any confusion the tense of the verb may have caused.

You don't see it as odd that someone asserting price changes have been negative for two months chooses to prove this with a YoY price change graph where the final point is +8%? I assume not given your concern the use of 'they're rising' instead of 'they rose' as the key takeaway point from my post.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I don't see it as odd.
    There is very definitely a change in direction here.
    This is going to bring about (if not already) a strong change in sentiment.
    Anyone previous thinking "better buy or I'll get priced out" is now going to think "I should wait" which will have the snowball effect in the opposite direction, so it certainly has the potential to be totally significant.

The key point about "they rose" is that the +8% figure is backward looking, so no it's not terribly relevant to the very significant change of direction.

Of course backward looking YOY figures will be positive for a little while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure