Money Moral Dilemma: Is it ok to buy, wear and return clothes?

Options
A friend of mine rarely buys anything and keeps it. Instead he buys new items of clothes, wears them once, then returns them to the shop so he's always in a new outfit. I'm nervous about doing it myself but I can't afford to buy anything new. Should I just go for it?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• svmitche
    svmitche Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    No you most certainly should not! How would you like to buy something then find that it's got someone else's skanky deodorant on it? There are plenty of ways to buy clothing cheaply and still look good - eBay outlet shopping for a fraction of the cost, charity shops (don't knock them, they get better and better) charity shops online, Amazon, outlet shopping malls etc.

Why not hold a clothes swap meet among your friends? You may find something they now don't like or have never worn that is perfect for you.

I don't know the legalities of taking clothes back after wearing them, but I certainly think it's a really awful thing to do!
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is it ok to buy, wear and return clothes?

No.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Bella73
    Bella73 Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    No it's just plain odd...why would you want to walk around with tags all over you??

Plus to me it would be like stealing so definite no here too.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Um.......No.
    No dilemma anywhere in sight. Just a blindingly obvious no.

What a bizarre question to ask.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have done this once in my life with an expensive dress I wasn't sure about, I kept the label in and didn't do anything too strenuous in it for a few hours at a work event, and then returned it. I wouldn't have returned it if it smelt or had anything on it. To this day I feel both guilty and smug!

But to do this with nearly everything your friend buys? Never mind the morals of this, it's just weird. If I had to say whether or not it was wrong, I would say it is. You should check out charity shops, my local one is full of stuff with the price tags still on!
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    underwear too ? that's just eeeuw
    Before you say he wouldn't - what does he do about swim trunks & holidays ?:naughty:
  • chocdonuty
    Options
    I'll admit to doing this once, wrong though it was.
    I was persuaded to do a pixie photo shoot with my dd and her cousin at a local boots and dressed dd up nicely but this wasn't enough for sis in law who had her ds in a little suit. She suggested to me to pop next door to Next to get something for dd to wear and chose a lovely dress for her.
    Me being short of funds agreed to buy the dress but took it off as soon as I got out of sis in laws sight and carefully folded it back up to take back to the shop next time I was in town :eek:
    Not something i've ever done again, but at the time was embarassed at her clothes not being nice enough for the photo and simply didn't have the funds to splash out on a new fancy dress she'd wear only once or twice!
    :hello: Hiya, I'm single mom, avid moneysaver and freecycler, sometimes :huh: but definatly :D
  • AnneMary
    AnneMary Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Should you just go for it? NO!
    Is this really a dilemma for you? This is clearly dishonest and wrong on so many levels and you should tell your friend this. If you want something new to keep up with your friend, you need to work on your self esteem and find new friends who are not so shallow and dodgy.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2014 at 12:17AM
    Options
    I once felt really sorry for a lady whose hat was accidentally singed by a candle at a wedding.

I stopped feeling sorry when all the tags were displayed and she started moaning about how she would have to buy it.

Not long after her husband was moaning about £150 he would have to find.

Brightened up what had been a dull wedding.
  • bluecanoe
    Options
    Have never done this and vow never to do it!
    :wall::wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport