10m bi-folding or patio door?

Options

Comments

• buba_2
    buba_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Wow your extention looks fab, We are just in the middle of a 90m2 extension, living/dinning/kitchen/utility also having bi folds but not as large as yours,

your wife was right with the front of house design!! :)

Can I just ask the person that posted the photos, where is the dinning table and chairs from??????

love it!
  • ey143
    ey143 Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are as some have pointed out here, savings to be had if I have a column within the 10m run of bi-folding. Maybe as much as 5k in steel costs and labour/crane costs. Based also on comments here I think I will also have a column where the load baring wall is as maybe another £5k+ saving there.

I'm more concerned about the safety to be honest, always have been but architect has said what he proposed is doable as he has done other properties with 13m bifolds without columns and designed by structural engineers. Cost is then the main issue.

I'm thinking now that I'd rather have a nice portico, window and door surrounds on the front so might transfer the savings there.

Have to go through council planning appeal / resubmit first.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    schwam66 wrote: »
    op is talking about a 250k+ extension, i really dont think they are worried about saving pennies.....if it can be done i am with the op the view will be nuts......shame this country is s**t...prolly have the doors open 10 days a year! all the best though looks fantastic

I was talking from a design point of view and not a cost saving (that was just a bonus)
    Having a 10m clear span in a space is fine when there is only one function happening and/or no fixtures - the problem is at the moment, there is a kitchen at one end, where the end of the opening doesn't line through with anything or define anything, it looks like it finishes just over halfway between the two banks of kitchen units…
    My suggestion was to use the fenestration to add some definition to the internal spaces… having the end of an opening not lining through with anything would drive me mad!
    Also, I will be surprised if this comes in anywhere near £250k unless there are significant cost savings on structure/glazing later
  • ey143
    ey143 Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I have underestimated the cost element, there is no doubt. Also point taken on the width of the opening. We just wanted to ensure than we had a clear vista of the whole width of the garden which is about 18m especially if my wife is in the kitchen and the kids are playing outside.

The reason for the roof lantern being placed in the direction shown, is because the balcony is above near the wall so we cannot have it the other way around. If the council asks us to remove it then we can move the it the other way.

How does one tell if it facing the wrong way or not - I'm not sure why people have commented on that because I would have though it matter much which way it's facing?
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 July 2014 at 3:46PM
    Options
    Good design is about perfect placement, not just ownership of the features themselves. I'd be planning down to sofa placement to ensure the lantern is over that, or directly over the dining table, for example. If the lantern is limited to certain areas, then plan layour around it.

I'm sorry, I haven't been back through the thread to look at the proposed ground floor vs existing yet. Looking now, it's hard with no scale but my first thought is that there are No PD rights behind your exiting kitchen, where the utility is planned. Not sure where 50% width of the original building comes into it for you. Does your architect accept it?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • QTPie
    QTPie Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    We have a span of 9m across our living and playroom (which looks across decking to the garden). Not designed by us - done by the previous owners.

There are two sets of bi-folding doors, with a column in between (useful, incase we decide to, later, separate the living room from the playroom by extending the internal dividing wall to the column). The corner is just two large fixed windows - works well in the context of the garden.

http://instagram.com/p/p_wI4BtPjW/

http://instagram.com/p/p_wD6ztPjK/
  • blackshirtuk
    blackshirtuk Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 July 2014 at 12:41AM
    Options
    buba wrote: »

Can I just ask the person that posted the photos, where is the dinning table and chairs from??????

love it!

Think that was me, table from habitat chairs from made.com

http://www.habitat.co.uk/dublin-6-seater-dark-stained-ash-and-glass-dining-table/dining-tables//fcp-product/207420
    just noticed that link is for 1.4m table ours is 2m

http://www.made.com/chairs/dining-chairs/2-x-flynn-dining-chairs-persian-grey
  • buba_2
    buba_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options

Thanks! im looking NOW!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Good design is about perfect placement, not just ownership of the features themselves.

This is absolutely spot on! :money:
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All I can add is stay well away from upvc bi-folds over 3m In length, with the expansion and contraction they are completely useless
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure