MSE News: Warning: Npower's slapping ex-customers with huge bills

Comments

• AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just read through this thread and it is scarey stuff.

I moved in October 2013 and have not had one bill from them since then. I keep sending meter readings and each time I log on to the website it tells me to send my first meeting reading. At least the previous owner of my flat was with a different company, so my bill hopefully can't be confused with hers. I seem to have sent "first" meter readings for gas and electric about five times now. What has happened to this company?! It is beyond a joke.

I refuse to phone them as it is impossible to get through and is expensive. I switched to quarterly direct debit and have no idea what amount or when. I have a vague idea of what the cost should be but I am new to the flat so if they overcharge me I wouldn't know. Not sure whether to just keep waiting or go to the ombudsman, to try to get out of the contract too. I think it runs out in October 2014 and I don't want to stay with them.
  • kt_k83
    kt_k83 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I left N power in January 2014 after they threw me into hundreds of pounds of debt by increasing my rates for dual fuel without any notification and no change of direct debit! After over paying to clear this debt as I was told there was nothing that I could do I decided to switch to Co-op.

This was successful on the Co-ops part and am now paying a steady fixed rate - couldn't be happier.

HOWEVER......... At the time of closing my account with Npower I was approx £250 in credit.

I approached them about this and the assured me that once my final bill had been issued I would receive a cheque for the remaining balance. After receiving a cheque for £9 I checked my still active online account and noticed that the gas part of my account had not been shut down (and still hasn't in June).

I lodged a complaint about this and they said they would try to fix this problem within 2 weeks. Suffice to say multiple calls to their complaints line - many without ever getting through after being on hold for ore than 45 minutes. I had been given multiple reasons why my money couldn't be refunded including systems being down, customer services not being able to deal with the complaint and the "billing freeze" which was out of their control!?!

I have today received a letter from them saying that they havce sent me a final bill and if they do not hear from me they will be closing the complaint on my account as satisfied.........which evidently I am not!

To add insult to injury they have sent me another bill which now says that I am in debit on that account in the order of £65. All of which comes from their estimates after the time I closed my account! So some how I have used over £300 worth of gas when I am not even contracted with them.

Can anyone help in what I can do to resolve this. I am not going to pay the debit because as far as I am aware I do not owe them anything - especially 6 months after I have closed my account with them.

Please please please help I am at my wits end with this now!
    And it is safe to say that NPower will never have my business again!! :mad:
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kt_k83 wrote: »
    I left N power in January 2014 . . .
    It's time to start their formal (written) complaints procedure. Head the letter in bold with word Complaint. Reports suggest npower strives not to recognise complaints so send the complaint letter by Recorded Delivery post. Keep copies of all correspondence. If the issue is not resolved after 8 weeks you can refer the complaint to the Ombudsman Services: Energy.

It's time consuming but it's the only way I know of to get a definitive resolution one way or the other. If you don't like the ombudsman's decision, you always have final recourse to the courts.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • whydoudoit
    whydoudoit Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2014 at 5:47PM
    Its a lovely day in zamunda :)
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 June 2014 at 11:39AM
    Npower are a complete mess.

My gas and electricity switched from Npower to Scottish Power on 27th May with a current credit on the account that just about covers the usage up to the switch date (actually about £2 owing when they come to sort the final bill which they say will take 7 weeks even though there is nothing to stop the final bill being produced now).

Despite this Npower have just tried to take a £60 direct debit payment from me, even though I am no longer an Npower customer. When I rang up to ask why they said that sorting out direct debits wasn't part of the account closing process. The customer services representative seemed quite proud to tell me that. She did not seem to understand either that without the correct record of payments the final bill would not be correct. I eventually managed to get my call transferred to another customer services representative who told me my gas account was still with them, even though that is not the case. Eventually they realised their mistake in not closing down the gas account on 27th May and that was why they had tried to take the direct debit after my account had transferred to Scottish Power.

Fortunately I had cancelled the direct debit on 28th May or else I would have had the £60 wrongly taken from Npower and it would have taken a couple of months to get the money back.

Shambolic doesn't describe the service I have received from Npower in the 6 months I have been with them. It took a huge effort to get then to record my opening reads when I switched to them (numerous phone calls and emails ending up in a formal complaint), and that in turn caused problems with the previous supplier not being able to finalise my old account.

Then Npower fabricated meter readings when it turned out that no meter reader had been round to my house. It turned out that fabricating meter readings was the only way they could get their billing system to work, and that was why they had done it. From other threads here this fabrication of meter readings is not a one off. Obviously in the event of a subsequent query then it is hard to know if any Npower own reading on their system is genuine or fabricated.

It is very easy to see how all these issues are occuring, because unless you watch Npower like a hawk and keep at them to sort things, their approach is to mess up accounts several times over.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    54_Mark wrote: »
    I left NPower in November 2012 ....

I notice they are the only big 6 company not a signature on the back billing scheme.

They have agreed to abide by the voluntary code.
    http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/publication/finish/43-code-of-practice-for-accurate-bills/412-the-code-of-practice-for-accurate-bills-back-billing-for-domestic-customers.html (page 14)

It's SSE (Southern Electric, Swalec, Scottish Hydro, etc) that are the only big 6 supplier not to have agreed to abide by the voluntary code. SSE have their own code.
  • I left Npower on 28th October 2013. Even though I have a credit of £605, they will not refund this credit to me. I have complained to them, written to Margaret Dibben (The Sunday Times Money expert) who has been very helpful but still I am waiting for my refund. Very frustrated and believe Npower to be a criminal organisation that the Government are doing nothing about. It would be interesting to know how many millions of pounds they are keeping in their coffers when the money should be refunded to their with customers. It is disgusting and I would never use them again and will be telling everyone I know not to either. :mad:
  • johnnytee
    johnnytee Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My mum died in june 2012. I phoned in a meter reading. A week later I recieved a FINAL bill for electric for £39 which I paid the same day by cheque. Account closed.
    Fast forward 18 months a bill for £350 drops through the door. They reckon she used 2899 kwh's of electricity over an 81 day period. That works out at 35.76 kwhs a day. The equivelant of boiling a kettle 322 times in a single day. Are they insane!
    I treid to contact them but don't return your calls. Since then I have had letters demanding payment by a dubious sounding company called 'Assisted Probate Services' . Plus another amended bill from npower for £297. I complained by email but got no response. They really are the worst company I've ever delt with.
  • Former_MSE_Helen
    Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    After discussions with Martin Lewis, Npower's agreed to be much more lenient with both former and existing customers ...
    Read the full story:

Npower agrees to some of MoneySavingExpert.com's calls to wipe ex-customer's bills
    OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    But really is this fair on customers like myself who have paid their bills.
    I gave them monthly readings and worked out my balance and just paid it by cash back credit card as I had a qty account with them. I never once waited for the bill. Perhaps in future I should and then may be I will not have to pay a dime back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure