PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Shut the door!

Options

Comments

• moments_of_sanity
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    What sanctions do you impose on them?

I do threaten the DH with living in the shed if he doesn't behave but seeing as he pays the mortgage and bills here I think it could well end up with me living in the shed! As for my girls, seems to me, having read this thread that they are all alike and it's probably just a 'phase' :D
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cutestkids wrote: »
    Finally to OH will you shut the B****y front door please as he had gone out to the bins and then decided top start brushing the path all the while the front door is wide open and my expensive heat is flying out to the garden.

Just had the front door left open while DH warmed up the car :eek:

The box of cereal has been left open with the packaging inside not folded down.

All the downstairs lights are currently on and they have just piled out the house.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do threaten the DH with living in the shed if he doesn't behave but seeing as he pays the mortgage and bills here I think it could well end up with me living in the shed! As for my girls, seems to me, having read this thread that they are all alike and it's probably just a 'phase' :D

I don't know - none of mine were like this.

I wouldn't have put up with it if they had been!
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    I don't know - none of mine were like this.

I wouldn't have put up with it if they had been!

Yes it's annoying having to constantly repeat myself and reminding them to turn lights off, out their washing in the bin if it's dirty, shut doors etc but they could be a lot worse. They could be drinking, doing drugs, out all night but they aren't, they are exceptional girls with beautiful manners (when out and about and at school, which everyone comments on), they are helpful to elderly people that look like they need some assistance and I always know where they are and they both have school grades that you could only ever be proud of.

I think I will have it the way it is thanks :D
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it's annoying having to constantly repeat myself and reminding them to turn lights off, out their washing in the bin if it's dirty, shut doors etc but they could be a lot worse. They could be drinking, doing drugs, out all night but they aren't, they are exceptional girls with beautiful manners (when out and about and at school, which everyone comments on), they are helpful to elderly people that look like they need some assistance and I always know where they are and they both have school grades that you could only ever be proud of.

I think I will have it the way it is thanks :D

They could do all those things and switch off the lights, etc.
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    They could do all those things and switch off the lights, etc.

We were really just having a rant and comparing note. I know they could be better but I didn't think this thread was about parenting skills.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have not yet got to the One Lightbulb Each situation, but we're getting close. As the almost shortest, I'll be the most inconvenienced, but it may be worth a try.

Why loos aren't routinely fitted with passive sensors rather than light switches I do not understand. I just have to stump down to put the light out most nights & am thinking about the cost of a sensor & installation for Christmas....
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 November 2013 at 9:07PM
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I am so glad it's not just me!

"Shut the Kitchen Door" is probably the most heard saying in this house at the moment!

Mine too.. but for different reasons.. my senile cat keeps $hitt!ng everywhere so he has to stay in the kitchen, with the cat flap.

I removed most of our bulbs.. no bulb = no light!

The childrens laptops/computers have strict time limits.. they turn off in between.

I need *this* for school tomorrow and it needs washing.. outs 1 item in the washer then in the dryer... abso-flipping-lutely not matey!!!!!!!!! Next time you will put it in 2 days before you need it! You will learn and you will have to explain to your teacher.

I think I replace the empty cardboard loo roll every time I go in there.. I like doing it so prefer it this way. All our recycling goes in together, metal, glass, plastics, card, paper etc.. so it does just go in a bucket which I empty when it is full or command a minion to do it.

As for too lazy to get stuff out of the shed/garage mine have no choice they are told to get it.. mind you, if we run out they get sent to the shop too.. If the older ones have their rooms a pit I shut the door.

If I find clean folded clothes in the wash I put them in the pile to go to back upstairs.. they take them themselves so they get to take them up twice more work for themselves doesn't bother me.

Anyway.. I am now going to stand over my girls of 9 and 11 (next week) and boss them to tidy the stuff they messed today.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I once found in my washing basket a large pile of perfectly ironed, clean and folded tops and trousers etc belonging to my eldest, I had ironed them that morning and laid them on his bed for him to put away, it was obviously too much trouble to walk across the room to his drawers, instead he walked through to the kitchen and put them in the laundry basket.

I'm so glad my DS isn't the only one who does this!!!!

I stopped ironing his stuff now, he does it. He has to fold it all too!!!! And if he chucks clean stuff in the wash I make him to the washing for the family!

He's slowly getting the idea and putting it away...

... in the bottom of his wardrobe and under his bed!!!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    It's not too bad for me at the mo cos I live alone:j:j:j I still have to tell certain guest to put the loo seat down though!!That is a major bugbear of mine:mad::mad:
    That actually doesn't bother me, if they have to lift it up to use it why shouldn't I have to put it down when it's my turn? I've never understood why it's a big thing to some people, although having said that our seat won't stay up now so the lads have to hold the seat up with one hand which can't make things easy for them :rotfl:
    I once found in my washing basket a large pile of perfectly ironed, clean and folded tops and trousers etc belonging to my eldest, I had ironed them that morning and laid them on his bed for him to put away, it was obviously too much trouble to walk across the room to his drawers, instead he walked through to the kitchen and put them in the laundry basket.
    That drives me mad too, I often find things that are obviously unworn but can't be put back away after being in a smelly washing basket.
    pigpen wrote: »

I think I replace the empty cardboard loo roll every time I go in there.. I like doing it so prefer it this way. All our recycling goes in together, metal, glass, plastics, card, paper etc.. so it does just go in a bucket which I empty when it is full or command a minion to do it.
    You're lucky, we have a brown bin for general rubbish, green bin for garden waste, black box for glass and cardboard, blue bag for newspapers, pink back for cans and plastic bottles and a small grey bin for kitchen scraps, peelings etc. Even with all this we can't recycle youghurt pots or anything not bottle shaped :mad:
    Our toilet roll inners either go in the cardboard box or in the compost bin but nobody else moves them, it's always me.

As for lights and doors, I don't think it will ever sink in until they are responsible for their own gas and electric bills.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family