🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'Clever ordering techniques... eg, "double cheeseburger with Big Mac ' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 8 August 2013 at 12:41PM in Going out deals
Great 'Clever ordering techniques... eg, "double cheeseburger with Big Mac sauce, please"' Hunt

Forumite aquamac has an ingenious way to cut the cost of a Big Mac by £1.10-£1.40 - by asking for a double cheeseburger with Big Mac sauce (see original thread). We want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on other fast food and other restaurants you can do this at to cut costs.

Just click 'reply' below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren't sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide, or view all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Smurfette80
    Options
    I always order a 'short' filter coffee in Starbucks and get a free refill it costs about 1.30 and you get 2 coffees in piece and quiet and can spend the money saved on a naughty nibble!
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2013 at 9:03AM
    Options
    I lucked out ordering an off-menu brunch in Cote last Sunday.

I wanted a full English style meal, but I don't eat pork, so I asked for a full English with salmon instead of the bacon and sausages.

A full english is £7.50 and salmon and scrambled egg is £6.80, so not money saving by any means, but you're paying for the ambience and the service.

The guy suggested ordering toast, and getting everything else I wanted as extras. I agreed, thinking it would end up at something stupid like a tenner, but went along with it anyway because it's what I wanted.

The cost came in like this:
    Toast and jam £1.50
    Extra salmon £2.00
    Extra tomatoes 50p
    Extra tomatoes 50p
    Extra mushrooms 60p
    Extra mushrooms 60p
    Extra egg 75p

Total was £6.45, cheaper than if they'd just agreed to the substitution I suggested in the first place. The portions were generous and it was absolutely delicious.

So don't be afraid to order off-menu at Cote, if you only want egg on toast for example. You won't get stung!
  • jjpeter
    jjpeter Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I always order 2 day photo prints instead of the 1 hour service (which costs about 25% more) at ASDA and I finish my shopping and come back and collect it in an hour or so.

I've never had any problems so far. It also helps if the person at the photo counter has changed in the meantime.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2013 at 2:24PM
    Options
    When ordering a takeaway (Chinese or Indian) I make my own rice in the time it takes to deliver. Usually saves about £4 for 2 people.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Pamplemousse3
    Options
    In pret a manger I order a filter coffee it's only 99p and doesn't taste all that different from a stronger / more expensive coffee.
  • kimbles
    kimbles Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    When my partner and I go to Burger King, we order his food as one of the value meals but 'super'size it so the fries and drink are the large size. Then I just order a burger on its own and we share his fries and drink.

Making a meal a super size only costs and extra 50p but it would add a few pounds onto the total if we just got a burger, fries and drink each.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At Burger King in Portsmouth (it maybe available elsewhere), you get a cold drink with your meal, but it is self-service and you can refill as often as you wish and mix the drinks !
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Homeagain
    Homeagain Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    When ordering a takeaway (Chinese or Indian) I make my own rice in the time it takes to deliver. Usually saves about £4 for 2 people.
    That is truly brilliant, never thought of that and I am the Queen of rice makers .... excellent idea, thank you
  • bigbullyweedave
    Options
    Instead of getting a chai latte at Starbucks, I get a large chai tea, then put in skimmed milk and sweetener - less calories and about half the price :cool:

Cheers from Mrs. BBWD
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »

I always do this too if I only want boiled rice but sometimes only egg fried or pilau will do!:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport