🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'What to buy/not to buy in pound shops' Hunt

Options

Comments

• londonlydia
    londonlydia Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a Girl Guide leader I'm a MASSIVE fan oftheir camping ranges. Many outdoor shops charge very high prices for stuff that is often a quarter of the price online, so having somewhere cheaply priced on the highstreet is great. Ok you're not going to get a tent for that money, but all the small things you need where you dont want luxury they are great for. So far I've bought: unbreakable crockery, torches, pocket waterproof jackets, tent repair kits, solar lights, mallets, flasks, groundsheets and more!

Great if anyone is going to a festival/ or trying out camping and doesnt want to fork out too much on camping gear!
  • roddycam
    roddycam Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Our cats love the pouches from the 99p Store, usually 4 or 5 for 99p so easily beats supermarket pouches (many of which they turn their noses up at. Also Supercat tubs (5 for 99p) and tuna in jelly (3 tins) at some 99p Stores. These aren't always available so grab them if you see them.
  • ger_ryan22
    ger_ryan22 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Take my advice, do not buy lightbulbs from anywhere other than Poundland. I've been buying (and replacing) them from B&Q for years. I was in Poundland around 6-7 months ago and I thought, what the hell, I'll get the 5 bulbs for the chandelier from here (the living room was down to one bulb). Cost me £5 and only the other day one of them went and I actually think this was down to me knocking it with my hand when I lifted my daughter up. All 8 spotlights in the kitchen are still going strong (6 months of use). B&Q charge something like £3.50 for 2 of these candle bulbs. Rip off!!! :money:
  • MissJustice
    Options
    Gardening stuff-Large plantpots and bulbs are way cheaper here.
  • solvent_saver
    Options
    Display books are my favourite purchase, for storing tax papers and receipts, guarantees, holiday planning/memories ... the list is endless/ However, they have reduced from 40 pages to 24 pages for a pound.
    General stationery, party stationery and T shirt printing transfers (print your own photo via computer)
  • MissJustice
    Options
    What not to buy: The food and cleaning products tend to be cheaper on Home Bargains, on the whole.
  • solvent_saver
    Options
    Travel adaptors 2 for a pound compared with around £3 each on the high street and £6 at airports!
    Money belts (wear under your clothes) cheap enough to take a spare in case the zip goes - mine did.
  • solvent_saver
    solvent_saver Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2013 at 12:40PM
    Options
    The plastic boxes are my weakness. I have to beware of breaking the 'do you need it?' rule. But as a luxury indulgence - cheap at the price.
  • marks42
    marks42 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Broke after first use!
  • extendedpaul
    Options
    Poor quality. Twice bought them, neither made it home, wasn't even particularly windy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport