🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'What to buy/not to buy in pound shops' Hunt

Options

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    astisan wrote: »
    2 UHT litre cartons semi-skimmed milk for £1 (at least 66p elsewhere)

Poundland - EU milk (possibly Eire)

Sainsbury's basics, Tescos value, Morrisons savers, Lidl - normally 53p (using British milk)
  • Mrs_Wurrm
    Mrs_Wurrm Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I bought three ten litre water carriers which I thought were a great bargain. However, two of them leaked the first time I used them and they all made the water taste of plastic! One to avoid!
  • mushypeaman
    mushypeaman Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Poundland. Mushroom growing kits, no doubt a WIGIG so get in there. :eek:
  • pippinpuss
    pippinpuss Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reading glasses. I need 2 different strengths, for computer work & knitting so at £1 a pair I can leave them all over the place and not worry about costing over £70 a pair.
  • made_in_Ireland
    Options
    Agree the reading glasses are great. Leave some in the car beside bed and in bag as forever losing them. Was paying a fortune to optician when all i needed was 2.5 cheapo ones. Also cant resist the chocolate brazil nuts.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • mushypeaman
    mushypeaman Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...... Bought 6 postage bags for 99p (not jiffy bags)- very strong and easy to write on but they no longer have them, which is a shame as they were great for sending auction site sales as they were very lightweight.

If you are fortunate to live near a Poundworld shop, they have packs of 6 self-seal plastic mailing bags 30cm x 23cm. I've been using them a couple of years and found them to be a good quality, strong bag. A regular line, though they sometimes disappear for a few weeks, then come back.

All in all, I much prefer Poundworld to Poundland. They have a smaller range, but what they do have is generally good quality, more interesting, and with less WIGIG lines.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    astisan wrote: »
    2 UHT litre cartons semi-skimmed milk for £1 (at least 66p elsewhere)

UHT Skimmed milk £0.49 in my local Lidl.
  • gemando
    gemando Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fatfelis wrote: »

The occasional branded make up items - Revlon, L'Oreal, Rimmel, Sally Hansen, Nivea, even Stila recently. Eye shadows, mascara, concealer, lip gloss and nail varnish.

I've found quite a few branded nail polishes (and subsequently bought too many!). It can be a bit of a hunt and the quality or range of colours isn't always amazing, presumably because it's old stock so the nail polish has got a bit old, but it's still worth checking, particularly for those colours you'd only use rarely or in small amounts for nail art.
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Condoms - £1 a dozen in Poundland. Debateable bargain this one, because they are freely available elsewhere.

Or as mwa mentioned in post #9 the pregnancy test strips are 2 for £1.
  • percythecat
    Options
    The Gardening gloves are great they really last. Also the Andrex moist toilet tissues are cheaper than chemists/supermarkets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport