Threat of Bankruptcy - Debt not mine.

Options
Hi,

Hopefully somebody can advise me what to do, maybe just ignore it.

To give some back ground my Son is being chased by a Debt Recovery company (can I name them? I'll give it a go, NG Collections 40a Lower Hillgate, Stockport). My son had rented a flat while at university in Manchester, unfortunately he had to withdraw from the course in Dec 2010 due to ill health and consequently left the accommodation. To my knowledge it was paid up to date and even if it wasn't I was never a guarantor for the flat. However, since 2011 I receive Final Demands every few months or so. The amounts claimed vary between £2475.43 to £1,9758.43 (yes I know its a strange number) and the latest demand of £1298.95 that I received early February and has now been duplicated with "Formal Notice Of Petition For Bankruptcy".

I find this all very annoying, especially considering that I contacted them, that's NG Collections 40a Lower Hillgate Stockport SK1 1JE, by telephone in 2011 and told them to stop pestering me with these demands they have nothing to do with me, if a debt exists I was never a guarantor for it. Of course they promised to stop but clearly they haven't.

You will appreciate that the latest letter, a demand with a "Petition For Bankruptcy", has wound me up a little and of course I have read through the Bankruptcy doc and it has no stamp from the court or anything, so how seriously should I take this? As I said earlier, I was never a guarantor for my son.

I did think about writing to NG Collections and reiterating the information that I gave them in 2011, and also issuing them with an invoice for my time and effort in this regard. If I have to mess about with companies, sending letters and the like, to point out their shortcoming I normally invoice them £25.00 for my time ... I did this four times last year and everybody paid.

One more thing, you may ask how have NG Collections got my name and address? May be by a little bit of investigative work, I seem to remember that I did pay my sons rent on one occasion while he was at Uni waiting for Student loans to come through.

So, should I simply ignore the latest letter, write to NG Collections pointing out it has nothing to do with me and send the invoice, or should I run around like a headless chicken and panic?

All advise welcomed.
Thanks

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    What does your son have to say about the alleged debt?
  • Freepost
    Freepost Posts: 215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as he is concerned it was fully paid but clearly there is some dispute. However, my son doesn't live in the UK any more although the letters that I receive from NG Collections are duplicated to my son at my address that he left some 12 years ago.

F.
  • AnnieDaPea
    AnnieDaPea Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Freepost wrote: »
    I find this all very annoying, especially considering that I contacted them, that's NG Collections 40a Lower Hillgate Stockport SK1 1JE, by telephone in 2011 and told them to stop pestering me with these demands they have nothing to do with me, if a debt exists I was never a guarantor for it. Of course they promised to stop but clearly they haven't.
    Have you tried looking for their Consumer Credit Act Licence?

I looked using their name and then using their postcode, but nothing current came up and nothing at all under "NG Collections".

I expect your local Trading Standards people might like to know about this.
  • alunonhisown
    Options
    I find it odd that I just searched for NG Collections and NG Collections Stockport in Google and there were NO RESULTS, not a single return for anything in that area.
    Dodgy?
  • AnnieDaPea
    Options
    I find it odd that I just searched for NG Collections and NG Collections Stockport in Google and there were NO RESULTS, not a single return for anything in that area.
    Dodgy?
    One might be inclined to think so, as their address suggests an office above a seedy shop.

The local sex shop is at 26 Lower Hillgate, but those are a better class of property and actually built with mortar between the bricks.
  • Freepost
    Options
    Wow, I must be really thick! It never crossed my mind that NG Collections may not be legit. I've clearly had a sheltered upbringing.

So, in passing details to the local Trading Standards people, what will this do?

Thank you for all your efforts in trying to help me, it's very much appreciated.

F.
  • Freepost
    Options
    AnnieDaPea wrote: »
    One might be inclined to think so, as their address suggests an office above a seedy shop.

The local sex shop is at 26 Lower Hillgate, but those are a better class of property and actually built with mortar between the bricks.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I noticed that when I tried to find their address on Google maps Street View.

F.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Actually, there is one next door. :p

3c3cb001.png
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Is there a company number, consumer credit license number, data protection registration number on any of the letters?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • AnnieDaPea
    Options
    Freepost wrote: »
    Wow, I must be really thick! It never crossed my mind that NG Collections may not be legit. I've clearly had a sheltered upbringing.

So, in passing details to the local Trading Standards people, what will this do?
    It should get them prosecuted, as collecting debts without holding a current class F licence issued by the OFT under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 is illegal. Section 40 of that Act might also apply, but please seek legal advice on that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure