Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December (Page 11)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December
Views: 31,780
# 201
miclare
Old 06-12-2012, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello all and hugs and positive thoughts to all those that need them!

I didnt do brilliantly since joining last month, I thought I'd have loads of UUs but the dam things just keep on spluttering out more product! Have been naughty and just ordered the LE skincare offer - but I actually have a few bits I need to put on Ebay and the C&P from the order will be joining it so I'm holding off on how many ins it's cost me until I've Ebayed and sold the bits that I dont need and possibly a few other bits. Sounds a bit of a cop out but they will all be accounted for I promise!

I'm not sure if I'm a member of the GB group or not, what's it called or can someone pm me with info please as I'd love to swap some bits x
No buying un-necessary toiletries challenge - Start total: 235. Current total: 273!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to miclare For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 202
catslovelycats
Old 06-12-2012, 2:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Think I need to pop in for this month. Have been tempted to buy a few things on offer in the last couple of weeks so think I need to be focused!

I have been really good at not buying things since I joined about a year ago, but it's taking forever to get through stuff! I've given lots away but kept the bits that I will be able to get through.

To anyone new to this, keep at it. You'll soon change your mindset and buying toiletries won't be such an addiction (as it had been with me).

Best of luck to everyone. All the special offers are so tempting at the moment!
MFW2014 #80(T2000):652.26 6Apr
100K MTG CLUB#27:130KFEB10 105972.90DEC13 (181 repays JAN14) 104347.28 6Apr
VSP#23:70.72 6aPR
12Kin2014 #109(T1500): 575 6Apr
DECLUTTER x bin bags: JAN 3
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to catslovelycats For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 203
SuiDreams
Old 06-12-2012, 5:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Amarya box came so can catch up with the thread now
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuiDreams For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 204
emslovesmickey
Old 06-12-2012, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

A rare make up UU, UD primer potion. Got another in the stash but i will buy again cos it makes a real difference to eye shadow IMHO
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to emslovesmickey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 205
emsjune78
Old 06-12-2012, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiemay View Post
Morning everyone, bit behind reading, major probs yesterday, please send some positive vibes to my little brother B (51) airlifted to hospital with a major heart problem, touch and go atm, just praying he can hold on long enough to be taken into theatre for surgery. No need to post back to me, but if you can spare him a thought, as I really do believe in the power of positive thought etc. Thanks.
Sending lots and lots of positive vibes for your brother xx
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge - Started January 2012 UU/GA/TA=640 IN=508
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to emsjune78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 206
Itzybitzy
Old 06-12-2012, 8:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

UU

Avon Naturals Almond Oil and Avocado Conditioner, 250ml - WBA, really nice and cheap! My hair seems to like it and it smells really lovely!

IN

Colgate Max One Toothpaste, 19ml
Total debts = 3116, 2216 20661916176616161466131611661016866
DMP 150 each month
Total paid off so far 2150
Debt Free by Jan 2013
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Itzybitzy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 207
seasideDreamer
Old 06-12-2012, 8:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

UU BS lemongrass shower gel, loved it and a bargain at 1 a few weeks back
Cutting down the debt to make the dream a reality
2013: 1338.75/2125 2012: 5688.44/5684.54
2014: 1335/1335 and debt free

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to seasideDreamer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 208
TallGirl
Old 06-12-2012, 9:23 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Two used ups

body Shop almond oil nail pen WNBA lasted a very short time so super expensive even with all their discounts. Will need something else has now run out of cuticle oil/cream

Mini mango shower gel think it was called something like Queens. WBA was nice but have a few to work my way though there were 5 in a packet .
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TallGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 209
Tater
Old 06-12-2012, 9:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGirl View Post

body Shop almond oil nail pen WNBA lasted a very short time so super expensive even with all their discounts. Will need something else has now run out of cuticle oil/cream
I found this too - I really liked it but it seemed to be finished as soon as it had been started!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 210
VALM
Old 06-12-2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
I did manage to resist the Elemis TSV, took myself off to the Countrywide store instead and spent the equivalent amount on a new bird feeding station, 4 new bird feeders and lots of expensive bird food, well rewarded as in less than 15 minutes there were lots of "diners" visiting. For the first time since my operation I have managed to spend some time in the garden today, I really enjoyed it, but in spite of wearing gloves my nails are wrecked. I have loads of new colours to try, must go and have a play I think.

Big hugs to all that need them and huge congratulations to Emma via VALM, hope the new bedroom furniture is all that you hoped for, and well done for that very way of stocking up on your HG Elemis. Those of us who have bought when perhaps we shouldn't, perhaps we should be thinking out some diversionary tactics for the next few months, like we used to be encouraged to do at Weight Watchers to stop the evening snacking.
Hi maddiemay. We bought a bird feeder earlier in the year and though we keep it fully stocked only ever seem to attract big fat pigeons to it. Even the solitary squirrel that used to come and feed at it seems to have been frightened off.

Thank you so much for the congratulations and am loving our new bedrooms. Wished we had done them sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky 2 View Post
I went though my bag with nail varnishes yesterday to throw away some of those to replace 5 nail varnishes I received as a birthday present a while ago. The lids on all 5 were stuck so couldn't open any of those so will bring those into Boots to ask for a replacement. Sadly my all time favourite nail varnish which they no longer make is now used up and I have never managed to find another one in that shade of pink.
Hi Becky. You should post on here the colour that you used to love. You never know one of us may know of a dupe for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsjune78 View Post
Well done to Emma VALM, sounds like she did brilliantly, you must be very proud.
I have a UU today - Anotomicals Help The Paw hand cream - lasted literally another two weeks cut open as there was so much stuck in the tube. WBA - v nice and really cheap, bargain. Moving onto a L'Occitane Mango mini next.

I also just remembered that I got a shower creme in Morrisons on Saturday before my little TBS splurge so thats Morrisons Orchid White Shower Creme 400ml as an IN - meaning I've bought 1900ml of shower gel in December so far How funny, it was a very good price [/QUOTE]

thanks Emsjune, am always proud of her. x

I have 4 INS and 2 UUS to report. All of the INS were free and were gifted by Emma after clearing her bedroom:-

OPI nail lacquer
OPI Avoplex hand cream
No. 7 hand cream
No 7 Protect and Perfect serum

UUS: L'occitane Mango hand cream. I see that you are moving onto this one next. I really enjoyed using it and it soothed my hands really well as they are so dry at the moment. Am glad that Emma gave me more handcream as the only ones I now have are the L'occitane freebie ones that I've got earmarked for gfits.

Other UU: L'occitane Verbena shower gel. Love this and WBA although have a Bath and Body Works White Citrus shower gel to use before then.

What did you buy from TBS? I placed an order for Emma for her to make up some kits for her friends.
Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to VALM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 211
VALM
Old 06-12-2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse View Post
My Elemis TSV has just arrived - smells wonderful.
So 6 products to add to my huuuuuge list
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolly84 View Post
My Elemis TSV arrived today too. Haven't opened anything except the Evening Blooms oil which smells heavenly.
Mine arrived on Tuesday. The builder took delivery of them whilst we were out. Have opened them all and checked them. One of the bottles of body cream is dented but I can keep that one so not too fussed. They have now been sent to "santa" and put away for my birthday in February so I'm cheekily not going to count them as INs until I've been officially given them.

I also placed an order with JL yesterday for the Marc Jacobs Daisy shower gel and body lotion that my sister wanted. The price match on these twoproducsts is brilliant at the moment. Worth checking out if anyone wants any.
Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VALM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 212
VALM
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingmonkey View Post
LE intensive nourishing treatment - used this as a handmask to try and soften up my dry hands. I really like using it for this purpose but not too keen on it for the face. This was a little old and the smell had gone a bit funny - Mr KM commented that whatever I had on my hands smelt of vomit! It wasn't a great smell but not that bad, honest...
I agree with MrKM about the smell of this one (and all her "treatment" products TBH). It's the camphor in them I can't bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueylawyer View Post
Evening all!

Rosemary, I think you may have hit a real LB moment this week! I definitely agree with both you and indiepanda over the stockpiling issues. Personally I know I have problems with decluttering generally; I get upset when OH throws things away, get emotionally attached to objects and have a recurring nightmare of empty kitchen cupboards. So the idea of stockpiling for a nuclear winter extends to all areas of my life. Toiletries in particular are an easy pick me up for me; they're fairly cheap, last a long time, but the thrill of purchasing has worn off recently.
I got over hoarding things when my father in law died and we had to clear his house. I never understood what my mother in law (who died before him) meant when she said they would not downsize as they used every room in the house! It turned out every room in the house was used for storage of something or other. MrM didn't want to part with anything and thinking about the amount of stuff in our loft makes me feel queasy. When we were emptying the wardrobes this week for the revamp he called me upstairs to ask if I wanted any of the books he had retrieved from it as if they were mine. I came upstairs to be faced with a pile of X file conspiracy type books that he was always reading in the 90's which have probably all been debunked by now!! Being abducted by aliens is clearly not on trend anymore. He was upset when I told him to chuck the lot. Anyway I digress - what I'm trying to say is don't hoard. The special offers will always come around again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappie View Post
Hello Ladies --- I'm back!!!

Welcome to all the newbies - and hugs to all. It seems a lot of us are in need right now.

Mum and i had a lovely trip to the US to visit family - it was great to see mum having such a good time after the year she has had.

I got my results from the genetics centre, and I'm a moderatly high risk. I am going to begin yearly visits to the family history clinic but so far that's all that is needed. V pleased with that!

Managed to get through my whole holiday buying 3 BE Buxom lip gloss (Liberty) so hard to find it near me, I now have enough to last through 2013 Also bought 1 eyeshadow - because it was reduced bu 80%, a moment of weakness! Went to Five Below and bought two Sally Hanson nail sticker thingies - leopard print and black glitter, $2 each. So not bad at all. Will glitter my nails whilst working christmas night!

I managed three trips to Sephora and bought - drum roll please----- NOTHING. Am I cured, or just ill??? Mum was quite concerned when I uttered the words 'I really don't need anything, and I will just see lovely stuff that I will have to buy - can we go please' I have to say, I had to take a moment pat myself on the back and have a little sit down.

I did however run riot in Whole Foods - its the size of a giant TESCO, OMG, I love that place. Bought a whole load of stuff home So glad I don't live close to one here, would never have any money.

My clarissonic is wonderfull - bought it during another moment of weakness in Oct. Will not look back. Using decleor cleansing wash at the mo and all is good.

Will be gifting some of my stash as part of xmas gifts - so that will reduce it a little. Also, work have asked for 'anything' this year for hamper gifts - including toiletries. So may well pass a few things on to the people collecting. Will be just my luck to win the blooming things back!

Althought I have not 'written off' December, I'm guessing that with work and xmas I will be a little busy, so my intention is to begin my new stash list this month. Then when I (no doubt) get smellies for xmas I can add it to the list. In Jan when I manage to post a full up-to-date list I can feel very proud of myself. (let's see if it happens) The intention is there at least.

I also plan to continue my 1 in the pot for every uu and 5 in the pot for each TSV I do not buy. In addition I would like to have a more structured list, so will start counting up my UU. Think this will give me more of a sense of achievement - I clearly need that!

Hope everyone has a lovely day - I will be in bed sleeping after my nightshift!
Lovely to see you back scrappie and your trip sounds wonderful. Congrats on not spending in Sephora though the thought of walking out of that store with zero purchases makes me feel queasy. x
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VALM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 213
VALM
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Morning everyone, bit behind reading, major probs yesterday, please send some positive vibes to my little brother B (51) airlifted to hospital with a major heart problem, touch and go atm, just praying he can hold on long enough to be taken into theatre for surgery. No need to post back to me, but if you can spare him a thought, as I really do believe in the power of positive thought etc. Thanks.
Thinking of you maddiemay. Take care. Love Val xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary54 View Post
how awful,you have my prayers and hugs.I am at an age when I am starting to think about how long people I know have leftof course I also worry about what they will say if I go first and they see my stashnext years resolution is to use money I would have spent on stuff to put in my cupboard(am thinking of it that way as not actually using much as only so much stuff you can put on your face at once)to go out and enjoy life.think i would be shocked if i added up what I had spent.
just bought OH another christmas pressie as feeling a bit guilty at how much I spend on myself

just bought glamour jan issue for the Body shop card....mag was 1.50 and card worth at least 3 but could be 15 or 100

am guessing mine will be 3struggles to read the small print even with glasses on but think you have to spend it all at once so lucky girls with 100 take note!
This is what I mean about stashing things!! Mind you I'd understand finding a stash of lovely toiletries more than finding the drawer full of tape measures at FIL's house. I kid you not.

What's the glamour mag give away?

I almost forgot to declare some more INs that I bought today but in my defence they are travel sizes to take to York with us this weekend. Bought Aussie shampoo and conditioner (only have huge bottles of V05 in at the moment). Have packed a travel sized bottle of elemis Frangipani shower cream. We are driving there straight from work tomorrow night so I won't "speak" with you ladies till after the weekend. Have a good time everyone and wrap up warm!! MrM and Emma will be pleased I'm dragging them around museums to keep out of the cold. xx
# 214
mcculloch29
Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 PM

Lightbulb Minor LBM.

Maddiemay, you're in all our thoughts. Wishing you strength and comfort. I worry about my bro and sis - they are older than me, Sis, 63 has retired, Bro is 61 (doesn't look it).

York is one of my favourite places Val - and my daughter's. Most of the times I've been there it's been work - related though, as two organisations I've worked for have used the city for regional meetings. It was cold and rainy up here today with ice forecast, and York is only 50 miles away. Hope you are OK underfoot on your visit and enjoy your stay.

I've been looking at my stash, not that there's much, and I had a bit of a Light Bulb Moment with regard to why I buy stuff I don't exactly need.

One strategy I use (apart from a big drop in income) that helps me avoid buying edible (fattening) treats is to imagine what it tastes like and picture myself eating it before I pick it up.
I remind myself that I have eaten it before, or something very similar, and it really isn't worth derailing my diet for. It works quite well for me.

But we can't do that with toiletries. My UU of today was a 75ml Avon Foot Works Berry & Vanilla foot cream. I love vanilla scents so "had" to buy it.

It's actually quite a sweet, pleasant smell but not quite as nice as I thought it would be, TBH. That's the key with so much I buy.

Words used for texture can entice too.. I bought a rose & peach body whip the other week; it was the word "whip" that lured me, a light cream to sink in well and not make me feel sticky as some heavy creams do. Well, that whip smells overwhelmingly to me of not rose or peach, but of bitter potassium citrate. The texture is lovely, the scent is not.

And even when you like a smell, the product can be wrong. I've twice bought chocolate scented toiletries because I assumed using a smell I liked would mean I liked the product.
But I found that using products that made me smell like Thornton's at 7 am wasn't as pleasant as I thought it would be.

So back to the UU. WIBA with the foot cream? Well, I already did on my last but one Avon order. It's not that bad, but it's not that cheap either unless it's on SO. Last time it was on a four items for a fiver offer (or was it three?) and too good to miss.

The Avon brochure is sat at my feet - I bought my DS a giant 750 ml shower gel for 1.99 and that arrived today but didn't buy myself anything.
Mantra... I don't need anything ... I don't need anything ...

I haven't looked at it yet though ...
Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mcculloch29 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 215
scrappie
Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Maddiemay - sending you and your family positive thoughts and prayers. I hope that your brother soon shows signs of improvement. Thinking of you all.

Off to look at JL site for 'Daisy' goddaughter loves that stuff..

Scrappie
No Buying Toiletries in 2013

SPC # 1336
VSP #54

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to scrappie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 216
VALM
Old 07-12-2012, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcculloch29 View Post
York is one of my favourite places Val - and my daughter's. Most of the times I've been there it's been work - related though, as two organisations I've worked for have used the city for regional meetings. It was cold and rainy up here today with ice forecast, and York is only 50 miles away. Hope you are OK underfoot on your visit and enjoy your stay.

And even when you like a smell, the product can be wrong. I've twice bought chocolate scented toiletries because I assumed using a smell I liked would mean I liked the product.
But I found that using products that made me smell like Thornton's at 7 am wasn't as pleasant as I thought it would be.
Thanks. We were away in York this time last year and it was very wet so have packed loads of warm clothing. Emma unfortunately has started with a cold so will have to pack lots of cold remedy items as well.

The best chocolate fragrance I've tried is Philosophy Double Hot Cocoa shower gel. Love this in Autumn/Winter as it warms me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappie View Post
Maddiemay - sending you and your family positive thoughts and prayers. I hope that your brother soon shows signs of improvement. Thinking of you all.

Off to look at JL site for 'Daisy' goddaughter loves that stuff..

Hope you got sorted scrappie. I see it's still on offer at the moment. I was a bit miffed a couple of weeks ago because it was price matched then at 15.00@ and sold out by the time I realised. Put in a request for an email when it was back in stock thinking that by then it would be back to regular price and was chuffed when it came back in stock at an even lower price. I reckon I've saved a third on the price of both items so very pleased. x
# 217
mickey mouse
Old 07-12-2012, 7:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Maddiemay - my thoughts are with you - gentle hugs

UU - sample of Elemis active skin complex .

Have a great day everyone
Use toiletries up challenge started 1/12/12 264 items

UU 7 item
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mickey mouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 218
Itzybitzy
Old 07-12-2012, 1:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

UU

Nivea Double Effect Deo, 50ml - WBA nice simple deo!

INS

Primark Cleansing Wipes 25 x 2
Total debts = 3116, 2216 20661916176616161466131611661016866
DMP 150 each month
Total paid off so far 2150
Debt Free by Jan 2013

Last edited by Itzybitzy; 07-12-2012 at 2:04 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Itzybitzy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 219
Tater
Old 07-12-2012, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

UU Batiste dry shampoo.

I have tried again to use the Superdrug version but it just seems to make my hair wet and greasier, not sure where I am going wrong but think I will give up and TA

Have a great weekend everyone!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 220
wondercollie
Old 07-12-2012, 7:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Oh, I hope the surgery goes well!

I finished the half marathon in Vegas. I honestly thought I was doing a 10KM thingie. But I've got the medal, tshirt, and race bib.

TA an Estee Lauder Sensous Pleasures gwp size eau de cologne. Smelt like hairspray on me.

UU a Maybelline Volume mascara. It was good better than the pink and green tube but I think it was discontinued.

I was good and left the hotel toilletries behind. The bathrooms in the Venetian are huge. I put the bathtub and foam bath to good use!

I wound up coming home with a Nars blusher, a box of four Clinique Black Honey liptubes and a few things I sent directly to the boys girlfriends. Oh, and a grapefruit roll on cologne. For the life of me I can't remember who makes it.

It's -22 out here and that's not factoring in the windchill. Keep warm and enjoy your stash.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wondercollie For This Useful Post: Show me >>