Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Bullying/mob mentality/cliques (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Bullying/mob mentality/cliques
Views: 3,224
# 1
DannyBo
Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Bullying/mob mentality/cliques

Hello ! )

I really love this website, have posted a couple of times but mainly lurk - I find most of the stuff in the different forum categories really useful and a lot of of the time interesting.

However, I have also seen people being sarcastic and condescending and others 'thanking' them for their input - some people just seem to sit here all day, waiting for a lamb to sacrifice

Maybe I'm just being hypersensitive, but half the time I don't post in a thread because I feel or have seen others being judged or slammed, or others have been made to look/feel ridiculous.

A lot of us ARE in the same boat and 90% of responses are usually more than helpful but some are just downright condescending

maybe I should take the plunge and get more involved, but for now I'll go back to lurking.
Happy money saving ))
Just saying...
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DannyBo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
stephen77
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i judge you harshly for writing such silly ramblings

Only joking.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephen77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
DannyBo
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen77 View Post
i judge you harshly for writing such silly ramblings

Only joking.
Meh! ............
# 4
billycasper
Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You sometimes come up against a venue of vultures on this site ready to pick on the bones of your texts, quoting every inch. Disembowelling its content and consequently rendering its intended meaning into a negative thoughtless act of insolence. I often wonder if its a form of autism or control, something they cant help. I'm sure it will be medically classified at some point in the future along with reading the daily mail.. best go, the vultures are circling and the quote button finger is twitching...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to billycasper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
stephen77
Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 AM

it happens on all forums like this.

just ignore the trolls and join in as where is the fun in lurking?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephen77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ThumbRemote
Old 05-12-2012, 7:54 AM

The best way to counter it is to join in and expose the imbeciles.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThumbRemote For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Azari
Old 05-12-2012, 8:58 AM

This is something I have been complaining about for a while now.

There is a coterie of individuals, probably rather sad and inadequate, who just love to pounce on posts and make pompous, belittling, and condescending statements and observations.

These people (apparently) always read every line of all the small print and never, ever, miss anything or make mistakes. Thus they are able to treat anyone who does not meet their level of perfection as being something of an idiot.

Unfortunately they are not actually breaking the letter of the forum's terms even though they are not acting in the general spirit of the site.

It would be better if more people were to take issue with these bullies because when there are only a few who do they assume everyone else agrees with them.
There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Azari For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
goater78
Old 05-12-2012, 9:15 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azari View Post

There is a coterie of individuals, probably rather sad and inadequate, who just love to pounce on posts and make pompous, belittling, and condescending statements and observations.

These people (apparently) always read every line of all the small print and never, ever, miss anything or make mistakes. Thus they are able to treat anyone who does not meet their level of perfection as being something of an idiot.

Unfortunately they are not actually breaking the letter of the forum's terms even though they are not acting in the general spirit of the site.

It would be better if more people were to take issue with these bullies because when there are only a few who do they assume everyone else agrees with them.
And the last post you made before this one was....

"If you do get your points perhaps you could use just a few of them to buy a keyboard that has a spacebar that works every time you press it.

Just a thought."
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to goater78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
malcumms7898
Old 05-12-2012, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You get this on all forums and anywhere you can leave comments. It is just the nature of the internet and it isn't going to change any time soon I'm afraid. Just post what you want to post and ignore people who pick it apart for no reason.
# 10
Azari
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goater78 View Post
And the last post you made before this one was....

"If you do get your points perhaps you could use just a few of them to buy a keyboard that has a spacebar that works every time you press it.

Just a thought."
I see that sense of humour bypass has taken nicely.
There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
# 11
SleeplessinScandinavia
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

At the end of the day, on any 'public' forum like this one your 'posts' can be challenged at any time by other members.

On the other hand, yes, there are some 'posters' who maybe look for a running battle of words which at some point turns 'personal'. All you can do is be certain of your facts and be assertive when you make your 'post'.

I've come across other sites (not this one) which have no 'moderators' worthy of the name - and newcomers seeking help get 'jumped' on by longstanding posters.

So it could be worse
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleeplessinScandinavia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
goater78
Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 AM
PPR

Quote:
I see that sense of humour bypass has taken nicely.
And now the insults........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goater78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Elvisia
Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes. I have had comments including saying I was stupid and someone else saying I wasn't qualified to do my job which was just bizarre as the post was about something else. Even though I know it's a public forum it can make you feel rubbish for the rest of the day, people should think before they post and realise it can make other people feel terrible. It also shows me how either rude or thick some people are and you start to lose faith in humanity!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elvisia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
somethingcorporate
Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Fortunately the good far outweigh the bad and there is a handy ignore function if certain individuals do annoy you.

Don't take it personally, it cannot truly be personal though because it's just the internet and they cannot really know you.
The problem with principles is sometimes they serve no purpose other than to make the holder of said principle righteously indignant. Righteous indignation doesn't get you a refund for your item, but I guess it allows you the opportunity to chunter away on the internet. Fluffnutter
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to somethingcorporate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
qetu1357
Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

Incredible.

You really aren't very self aware are you!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qetu1357 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
kermitfrog
Old 05-12-2012, 1:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qetu1357 View Post
Incredible.

You really aren't very self aware are you!
Can anyone who is really self aware treat Internet forums as if they were real life?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kermitfrog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
sagalout1954
Old 05-12-2012, 2:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You've raised some good points, unfortunately it will make little difference, this site will still have it's fair share of numpties - usually diving about 'thanking' each other for being equally stupid.

Some just seem overly prone to a version of 'Tourettes of the fingers'......involuntarily typing rudeness, inappropriate and/or unecessary comments! I often wonder why they don't just 'jog on' past threads/posts they don't like/disagree with/appeared before/spelling or grammatical errors - must lead sad, bored lives I imagine.

Best completely ignored, & certainly not worth trying to defend yourself against.
The Following User Says Thank You to sagalout1954 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
yangptangkipperbang
Old 05-12-2012, 2:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagalout1954 View Post
this site will still have it's fair share of numpties - usually diving about 'thanking' each other for being equally stupid.
...............but of course you are not one ?..................

JOKE !!!

The point I am trying to make is that it is very difficult to express slight sarcasm/humour/wit/a friendly dig when typing on a keyboard, so it is easy to be misunderstood.
My "JOKE !!!" somewhat destroys any humour/wit that may have actually been there in my first comment in the first place.

Perhaps some more emoticons might help ? Especially one that means: "That question has been asked a zillion times before - why don't you search the site or Google it?"

........and of course - the person typing the latest response to a thread is ALWAYS right - until the next post..........
The Following User Says Thank You to yangptangkipperbang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
DannyBo
Old 05-12-2012, 9:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Great posts ! I've decided to come out of my shell and post all over the place (although not in a spam way)

Cheers x
# 20
DannyBo
Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

However funny or sarcastic you may think your comment is - the one on the receiving end could take it to heart and....

Not everyone shares your sense of humour and not everyone is as thick-skinned

What others perceive to be a witty comment could be enough to tip another human over the edge.

Please remember that whilst posting and scoring points

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DannyBo For This Useful Post: Show me >>