November 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Evening everyone, sorry I hardly ever get a chance to post in here lately. Well I'm up to £125 out of my £165 so far, have just been topping up with bread, F&V etc so hopefully if I carry on I might be able to finish the month under my target this time.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,837
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

NSD here. Spent most of today re-organising our bedroom. Moved 3 wardrobes into the spare room which has freed up some space and have lots of bags for the charity shop :j

Dinner tonight was shepherds pie made with DR lamb mince. Mmmmm so lovely. I added some bendy celery which was in the bottom of the fridge - kids didn't notice :D

Seeing DM tomorrow so will no doubt pop into A!di with her - running low on F&V.

Have a good evening everyone
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • Hmm, I've been really bad at noting what I've spent so far this month- I have 3 receipts for the big shops, but I don't seem to have anything for the little top-ups and snacks in between. In two minds - do I record what I know and add on £5 for the little bits, or do I just start a new challenge for the last 2 weeks of the month? I spent £40 last weekend and banned myself from going food shopping for 2 weeks! Only, we all know that never happens!
  • ..anyone spotted any good christmas bargains yet ? or are people thinking it is too early to look ??
    take care tess
    Yes bar humbug lol
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • another small spend - wanted to use up a leftover select a size thirst pockets coupon so popped into morries on the way to work - got the kitchen roll + a sandwich and spent £3.39. :)
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    armchairexpert, I've added your Curried chicken, potato and lentil pot pie to the index. I think I'll be trying this one myself :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • NSD today! Was so tempted to buy some snacks on my break but I resisted because I knew I had two tangerines to eat. I was very hungry by the time I got home (was working until 7) but my tea was ready (scouse! :)) and I felt satisfied knowing I wasn't adding to the grocery total for the month.

We were flabberghasted today watching superscrimpers at the family who spent £200 on food shopping a week AND then ate out about 3 or 4 times a week too. £200 a month would be a luxurious month for us I think! Nevermind a week.
    November Grocery Challenge = £83.47/£150
  • Oh poo. I decided no excuses and I added it all up for the month. So with 16 days left in the month, I have spent £81.66 of my £100 budget for the month. I thought I was sitting about the £60 mark.

Well, it's abundantly clear where so much of my money has been going over the last year or so now!

I won't be coming in under budget this month - I will just try to damage control. Can anyone tell me good veg in season just now? I'm thinking a good pot of soup will help bring the food bill down a bit.
  • Oh poo. I decided no excuses and I added it all up for the month. So with 16 days left in the month, I have spent £81.66 of my £100 budget for the month. I thought I was sitting about the £60 mark.

Well, it's abundantly clear where so much of my money has been going over the last year or so now!

I won't be coming in under budget this month - I will just try to damage control. Can anyone tell me good veg in season just now? I'm thinking a good pot of soup will help bring the food bill down a bit.

try mexican bean soup...

2 tablespoons oil,
    1 onion, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes or chilli powder, or fresh chilli
    1 potato, cut into small peices
    400g tin of baked beans
    1/2 pint chicken or veg stock, or water, perhaps with stock cube
    1 tbspn brown sugar
    1 tspn. mustard
    salt and pepper

heat oil, fry onion, add chilli, after a minute add potato and beans, and stock/water/stock cube, simmer for 15 -20 minutes, add rest of ingredients, simmer for another five minutes, either eat lumpy or puree with blender.

this came out of a frugal cookbook years ago and i still cook it regularly. sometimes i dont put in the sugar.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • 3 NSD’s to declare – WooHoo :j:j:j – but that came to an end this morning as I needed to get milk to make some more yoghurt – spend = 0.76p.

With my non-shopping time I’ve emptied, cleaned, reorganised my kitchen and store cupboards and have finally drawn up an inventory of supplies so I know exactly what I’ve got also pre-planned a menu and shopping list which needs reviewing into what I NEED and what I WANT as a back-up.

Since the beginning of the month I started a “pound a day” saving jar but have decided that the days I have a NSD I will put in an extra pound and if I keep this going I will have a really good fund of spending money put by for a special family holiday that’s booked for May :T.
    Oh poo.

I got some of @ldi super 6 selection (0.69p each) and thought I might make a soup using some of the sweet potatoes, red onion, red pepper maybe some red lentils, veg stock - chilli/curry powder to spice it up a bit.

Wishing you all a NSD :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport