IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Last Share you Bought?
Views: 25,711
# 141
markwilkinson
Old 03-11-2012, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmind View Post
I also hold some Lloyds ordinaries, and am up 40%+ on them, but these are obviously lower in the capital structure and don't benefit from the steady tick tock of dividends.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying them 2 or 3 months ago, I was really tempted at 29p!
Save 4000 in 2012: 0/4000
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 142
Masomnia
Old 03-11-2012, 5:43 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilkinson View Post
I'm still kicking myself for not buying them 2 or 3 months ago, I was really tempted at 29p!
Everytime it dipped below 30p I wanted to buy more and talked myself out of it. Still the right decision at the time as I'd be 'massively overexposed', whereas now I'm just 'slightly overexposed.'
She looked as if she had been poured into her clothes and had forgotten to say 'when.' - Wodehouse

Last edited by Masomnia; 03-11-2012 at 5:49 PM.
# 143
Masomnia
Old 03-11-2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
It should be 4.625p.

Whether it makes more sense to buy now or later depends on whether you want dividend income or capital gains.

Of course, you could diversify into NWBD. This has a slightly lower coupon but the Ts&Cs mean that a skipped dividend is unlikely and would actually better for holders in the long term.
I'm thinking the fact that it'll be 6 months from the next divi will be priced in; whereas I don't mind holding for the 6 months, others might be thinking there's an opportunity cost to holding that long and choose something else in the meantime. We'll see!
She looked as if she had been poured into her clothes and had forgotten to say 'when.' - Wodehouse
# 144
gadgetmind
Old 03-11-2012, 6:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilkinson View Post
ISTR I bought my first wodge at a shave under 40p and a slew more at 22p. Yes, I averaged down, and not for the first time, which is something I need to keep an eye on!

I now hold small amounts of Lloyds and HSBC ordinaries, and eye watering amounts of bank preference shares. Enough.

However, my overall portfolio is fairly well balanced as I hold loads of stuff that would send the younger guys here into a catatonic sleep.

HICL anyone? Or CGT? SLXX?
I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
# 145
sabretoothtigger
Old 03-11-2012, 8:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sabretoothtigger Send a message via AIM to sabretoothtigger Send a message via Yahoo to sabretoothtigger

I have heard of HICL, Questor recommends them. Its an income thing then, the drop in 2008 makes me wary of risk/reward for it though

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/m...me-stream.html

They mentioned here, with APF which I do have:
http://www.stockopedia.co.uk/content...-heroes-69094/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Poles Hartley
The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there
Quote:
Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to London in 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to sabretoothtigger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 146
gadgetmind
Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Alongside HICL, I also hold JLIF, INPP and BBGI. Can't be taking risks with steady stuff now can we!
I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
The Following User Says Thank You to gadgetmind For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 147
sabretoothtigger
Old 06-11-2012, 1:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sabretoothtigger Send a message via AIM to sabretoothtigger Send a message via Yahoo to sabretoothtigger

I sold some CAZA for 161% gain, I think they can gain more so long as the fracking is ok long term and especially if they continue to get results like this from future drilling they got lined up

Bought some AAZ. Also some RRL recently, too cheap even without Somalia and unpopular now. BG group, it might get cheaper but its fair.
Today I think BP was a buy before ex-div and POG might gain from here, Im waiting for Gold to drop out to 1666 and scare people ? before a rise to 2000

Market is negative most likely, look for salmon stocks
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 06-11-2012 at 1:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabretoothtigger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 148
Masomnia
Old 07-11-2012, 4:29 PM

I couldn't have been more wrong about LLPC, it's made up getting on for half of the dividend! Could fall in the next few days but I doubt it. Not sure I'm tempted by paying 110p.
# 149
gadgetmind
Old 07-11-2012, 4:44 PM

If you think that LLPC has done well today look at NWBD!

OK, low liquidity stuff like these jiggles around depending on whether the last trade was a buy or sell, but I think this is the highest clean price we've seen since 2008.

The Following User Says Thank You to gadgetmind For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 150
sabretoothtigger
Old 07-11-2012, 5:13 PM

Natwest likes Obama, he will never raise interest rates
Quote:
Quote:
# 151
Masomnia
Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
If you think that LLPC has done well today look at NWBD!

OK, low liquidity stuff like these jiggles around depending on whether the last trade was a buy or sell, but I think this is the highest clean price we've seen since 2008.
By a long way! This is why I don't do 'trading' btw
The Following User Says Thank You to Masomnia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 152
JonnyBravo
Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBravo View Post
Sold AUL on Friday. 40% in 6 weeks will do. There is the potential for lots more or to simply sink back to under 9p so that'll do me.

Correct decision (for once). Poor deal for AUL (IMO) announced today.

Even better than that sold half my LRL today for 37.5% gain in 3 weeks or so. Another couple of pence and they can have the lot!
# 153
sabretoothtigger
Old 13-11-2012, 4:33 PM

Why is Lloyds doing so great lately?

Not that long term this is true just wondering as it has a positive bias recently and the market isnt.
I bought for mid twenties in spring and now its mid fourties with apparently the wind in its sails set for 60 even ?

I sold 5 seconds before close just a bit I had bought October while waiting for market to drop, its risen 20% since then just about. For a big share thats fairly remarkable, I think finance is positive now..

Bought a tad more AAZ and POG I think is cheaper without reasons. Chesapeake is last lot I bought (and probably shouldnt) extremely asset rich but cash poor from oversupply but improving

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 13-11-2012 at 6:23 PM.
# 154
Masomnia
Old 13-11-2012, 8:11 PM

No idea, but my Lloy shares are in profit for the first time in years after today's rise, so I'm certainly not complaining. Normally a huge rise on no apparent news is a sell signal to me, but I'm sticking with it.

Hanging in there with Emed too, I still believe AS will happen and the de-risking will boost the price. I've decided I'm going to sell a significant chunk if not all my shares when that happens, as I'm a bit fed up of all the shilly shallying that's been going on. Maybe AIM shares are not for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Masomnia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 155
JonnyBravo
Old 13-11-2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masomnia View Post
Hanging in there with Emed too, I still believe AS will happen and the de-risking will boost the price. I've decided I'm going to sell a significant chunk if not all my shares when that happens, as I'm a bit fed up of all the shilly shallying that's been going on. Maybe AIM shares are not for me
Sold the vast majority of mine in March/April and sold the rest this week. Not convinced they'll make it to AS without another cash call. Made money on them but not the large sum I thought I'd realise at one point. Will keep an eye out for joining again after a cash call if it happens.

Got most of that cash in AAZ nowadays. What's due with them before Xmas? Waiting for the deal re the copper (and silver?) to be announced, an update on the AS plant (expect it to be ahead of target and under budget) and then in early Jan the production for Q4. Those three items could see 60p IMO.

Last edited by JonnyBravo; 14-11-2012 at 7:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonnyBravo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 156
sabretoothtigger
Old 13-11-2012, 9:59 PM

I dont even know what AS is If they lose 9p on no good reason it might most sensible to ditch, of course its better to sell on strength

This is a range of commodities, helpful to gauge share performance though 6 months aint much.
I do think copper is negative, not sure how much AIM co. moves for that but KAZ has been awful maybe its worth a swap if you can exit EMED at nice profit.

There is hope of a copper bounce here, if such things can be predicted. I like how JJC looks but I probably just kidding myself
Quote:
Quote:
# 157
JonnyBravo
Old 13-11-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretoothtigger View Post
I dont even know what AS is If they lose 9p on no good reason it might most sensible to ditch, of course its better to sell on strength

This is a range of commodities, helpful to gauge share performance though 6 months aint much.
I do think copper is negative, not sure how much AIM co. moves for that but KAZ has been awful maybe its worth a swap if you can exit EMED at nice profit.
AS = "administrative standing" which is a recognition EMED need from the local Junta. The price of copper is ok for EMED. They just need permits. They'll come, I remain convinced of that. Just not sure they'll be before Xmas. I've exited EMED with a modest profit on my last shares but its been good to me over the last 4 years with the rollercoaster share price giving plenty of trading opportunities.
Not sure copper will be unusually strong anytime soon (it surely needs a convincing rebound on the Chinese economy) so I'll stay clear of KAZ for now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonnyBravo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 158
JonnyBravo
Old 14-11-2012, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBravo View Post
.....and sold the rest this week.
Fail. Sigh.
# 159
sabretoothtigger
Old 14-11-2012, 8:21 AM

I was wondering what triggered you selling them now. Not that I can say thats wrong, for all we know markets can crash any time and so on

Anyhow deal done for future revenue, Im not sure if this is at fixed price but nice to see shares sold at a premium not a discount for once!

Surely government wont stop a job maker going ahead with certain business waiting.
I mean this is why Spain is in a mess that they are obsessed with Euro and regulations and government rubbish, more business please will sense prevail?

Price was up 15% at first but its falling back now. Im only going to be impressed if EMED gets to 20, 30 and higher

If we close 12p or higher today (or friday) I have hope otherwise we will probably repeat the same disappointment of previous months

Quote:
Not sure copper will be unusually strong anytime soon
Copper is potentially a monetary metal at the extremes its possible to see very large rises beyond expectations but I dont see that happening exactly. Gold could drag it up basically, if silly things happen it could knock on in surprising ways
I will be checking if these contracts are fixed or not though because I think copper should rise over years even in more normal conditions, so long as world gdp is positive
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 14-11-2012 at 8:28 AM.
# 160
JonnyBravo
Old 14-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretoothtigger View Post
I was wondering what triggered you selling them now. Not that I can say thats wrong, for all we know markets can crash any time and so on

Anyhow deal done for future revenue, Im not sure if this is at fixed price but nice to see shares sold at a premium not a discount for once!

Surely government wont stop a job maker going ahead with certain business waiting.
I mean this is why Spain is in a mess that they are obsessed with Euro and regulations and government rubbish, more business please will sense prevail?

Price was up 15% at first but its falling back now. Im only going to be impressed if EMED gets to 20, 30 and higher

If we close 12p or higher today (or friday) I have hope otherwise we will probably repeat the same disappointment of previous months

Copper is potentially a monetary metal at the extremes its possible to see very large rises beyond expectations but I dont see that happening exactly. Gold could drag it up basically, if silly things happen it could knock on in surprising ways
I will be checking if these contracts are fixed or not though because I think copper should rise over years even in more normal conditions, so long as world gdp is positive

Well I sold most originally due to the local election results. I sold my last shares this week on funding fears and my expectations that it would be done at discount as usual. My fears over those months have also changed to a simple opinion about limited upside. There are now 1.2bn shares. I just dont see it hitting 20p anymore. Even on AS unless it is a transitory visit.
They have horribly underestimated the amount it will cost to get the plant working again IMO (based on the simple fact they've never delivered anything on time or target) and so see it settling around 15p with AS.
Todays limited share price movement is just another example. There are just too many people who now want out IMO.