October 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Congratulations Lulabelle. :j
    You are starting off on the right foot - being careful with your cash! I wish you a long and happy life together.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 0/66 used
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...been out today and got a turkey crown for christmas...fingers crossed the freezer stays frozen...shouldnt need much else this week but i thought i might do a bit of baking later in the week

we are having shepherds pie for tea to use up leftover mash as its topping...fish fingers for the kids as they arent keen....

yake care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Mrs Moneypenny - have you tried making sandwiches with frozen sliced bread? They defrost by the time you want to eat them and they don't go mouldy!

I've been so good today - another NSD :) I've spent the day doing the washing, balancing the bank account, and a trip to the council tip with junk from the garage.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 0/66 used
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,041
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »
    Oh do hope you get it back, why is it when you are trying to be especially frugal something like this always seems to happen?

Thank you, it is always when you're trying to be frugal! Don't think I will get it back as no joy so far :(
    Bluegreen143 - would you mind giving me your recipe for the peach upside down cake? We have about 5-6 tins of peaches in the house and would love to use some of them up!

It's this BBC recipe but obviously using peaches instead of pineapple (I used a small tin but could have fitted lots more peach on if I had had any more) and I omitted the glace cherries. Oh and used granulated sugar instead of golden caster and it turned out fine.

No grocery spends today (lots on public transport though!) and I made the most delicious dinner ever :D
    photo47.jpg

Goats cheese and spring vegetable spaghetti Serves 2
    This is supposed to use tagliatelle but I only had spaghetti. It's the only change I made to the orginal recipe (from a cookbook called The New Vegetarian Kitchen) except chucking the veg into the pasta water instead of steaming and forgetting to add basil at the end :rotfl:

150-200g spaghetti/tagliatelle
    175g asparagus tips
    1 courgette, sliced in half lengthwise then into long thin strips
    2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    100g soft goats cheese, crumbled

GARLIC CRUMBS
    1 cup/55g fresh breadcrumbs
    1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
    1 small red chilli, finely chopped
    Grated zest of 1/2 lemon

Put the spaghetti on to boil for 10 minutes, adding the asparagus 3 minutes in and the courgette 2 minutes later (not sure of timings if using tagliatelle).

Meanwhile, fry the breadcrumbs in a generous glug of olive oil for two minutes, add the garlic, chilli & lemon zest and keep frying for two more minutes, adding more olive oil if needed. Remove and wipe pan down. Heat a little more oil and cook spring onion for 1 minute until soft.

Drain pasta and veg, reserving a few tablespoons of the water to add back in, and add to the spring onions, along with the lemon juice and half the breadcrumbs (and fresh basil if you have some/remember!). When heated, dish into two bowls and top with the rest of the breadcrumbs and crumbled goats cheese. I had it with salad and it was the most delicious new thing I've made for a very very long time :D
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Thanks for the recipe! If I get a chance over the weekend I might take a stab at it! :D
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,041
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2012 at 7:14PM
    Oh my it has all gone wrong!! I have absolutely no idea what I have spent this last week. Went to London Tuesday but only overnight but OH proposed while we were away so my head has been in clouds! I am going to go for a weekly budget of £40. and then go back to a monthly budget next month. Especially need to save money now I have a wedding to pay for!! Hope everyone is well. Need to catch up on the board. xx

Somehow when catching up with the thread I skipped a page and so just wanted to say many many congrats Lullabelle!! Slightly jealous as my OH took me to London for my birthday at the end of August and I was convinced he would propose but he didn't :rotfl: Best wishes for a very MSE wedding and debt-free future together :D
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bluegreen, I've added your Goats cheese and spring vegetable spaghetti recipe to the front page index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    The day isn't over yet, but so far i haven't spent any money on groceries today. For tea we had home made quiche with corn on cobs, new potatoes and carrots.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2012 at 9:40PM
    Oh my... Ive only gone and done it!

Im really struggling without having a freezer - buying fresh all the time is expensive and sometimes wasteful... although I do try to be very careful that I waste as little as possible!

Ive been trying to save for a Fridge Freezer (No room for seperates) but have always needed the money for something more urgent! Anyway - someone offered me one in great condition for £70 as they had are having a new kitchen in...

So..... :D I now have a new fridge freezer which will make life soooooo much cheaper and easier in the long run --- but the money will have to come out of my grocery budget!!

:rotfl: I like a challenge I do! As if £250 wasnt going to be tight enough, lets go for £180 and a new freezer!

If I can do this, I think Ill manage just about anything :D

PS - Congrats on the Engagement!!! :love:

ETA - Mrs Addicted... I dont buy anything when Im out at uni... :D I take a pack up every day or flask of soup etc and if I see something I fancy, I just go without. I dont mind paying 25p for a bar of chocolate but Id never pay nearly £1! Flask of tea though is a great idea :T thank you :T
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • Taranaman
    Taranaman Posts: 100 Forumite
    Just making a quick note of two little shops before I forget. £1.19 for milk yesterday and a perishables shop of £14.92 today. Got a triple points voucher with my receipt - those supermarkets just know how to get you spending don't they - expiry 21 October so not even like I can wait until next month!

Just about to go back and read everybody's posts - engagements, upside own cake and goat's cheese. This thread is better than chick lit!
    January GC 299/300
    February GC 295/270
    March GC 92/243 then lost the plot and stopped recording for two months and went way over :eek:
    May GC 372/250 still looking for the plot
    June GC 118/250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family