August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,289
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Soworried wrote: »
    Why not have a living room picnic PG? Picnic blanket out, all sit on the floor with the food and a board game. The kids will still love it. x
    Soworried - Great minds think alike - I just posted a very similar suggestion in PG's DFD only we used paper table cloths and we able to clear up in about a minute flat! Apparently one of DS's best birthday parties :T

All the best
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Soworried - Great minds think alike - I just posted a very similar suggestion in PG's DFD only we used paper table cloths and we able to clear up in about a minute flat! Apparently one of DS's best birthday parties :T

All the best
    SL
    Even better if there is no mess. :j
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    NickJW- You wrote what I thought, but sufficiently before me that others had responded. Poor old Thrifty! I kept thinking "what's wrong with that; has she been hacked?":eek:

I always read your meal plans and think how lovely they sound. You are more adventurous than me. I'm going to do what Pennygrabber does and try a new thing at least once a month as I am so bored with my regular things.

Whatever we have will involve courgettes, runner beans and potatoes - all from the garden (and the first tomatoes are turning orange - that's the variety, not a mutation :rotfl:).

Your fortunate double delivery from Mr W is why I still shop there as my favourite place. Their customer service is second to none in UK. If I ever take anything back they refund it and give me the replacement free. I had Turkey crowns on order for Easter one year and they cocked it up and ended up giving me three whole turkeys for free (I was cooking for loads but this was fantastic). Take and enjoy your good fortune with no guilt> You are a loyal customer and to be valued.

Have a great week (everyone)
    SL

I also thought TheThriftyScrimpers has been hacked - I'm glad it's not just me who thought it! :p:o

Ah - my meal plans are only like that because I have something left from one recipe so go searching for another recipe to use up what is left, end up buying something else, then need to find another recipe to finish off using the other thing. The cycle goes on for a while sometimes, and I often wonder if I should 'calm down' and have easy weeks. It would probably be better for my budget! :o

I agree with Mr W - I also like the fact that their essential range is just as good as the finest range in Mr T for instance. I would NEVER buy value meat, but essential meat is fine, and more importantly (for me), it's nearly always British meat. The double delivery will set me up for sure this month :D

At a loss as to what to do today - the house is cleaned and I was going to venture out, but don't need the SM obviously, it's raining outside and my friends are still in bed because they went out last night (I didn't bother and had an early night because I had a heavy weekend last week!).

Think it will be an internet day/Olympic TV day until lunch, unless the weather improves when I will venture out.

Hope everyone is well.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    I will catch up properly in abit but just wanted to report

£32 in Mr T this should of been £44 but I have a £6 off £40 shop and £6 clubcard vouchers

£14 in Mr M on half price pork, a cooked chicken for tonight and a few bits and pieces

Im quite pleased with what I have got for todays spends :T
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Whatever we have will involve courgettes, runner beans and potatoes - all from the garden (and the first tomatoes are turning orange - that's the variety, not a mutation :rotfl:).
    SL

To give you an example - if I had these ingredients I would probably make courgette and potato rosti cakes . I've made mine with sweet potatoes but I'm sure regular potatoes would be fine.

Root Veg + Potato rostis

2 medium parsnips (about 350g in total), peeled and grated
    1 medium sweet potato (about 300g) (could probably use real potatoes) peeled and grated
    1 medium carrott, peeled and grated
    100g plain flour
    1tbsp finely chopped rosemary
    salt and pepper
    2 eggs lightly beaten
    2 tbsp sunflower oil
    25g butter

Put grated parsnips, potato and carotts in a bowl and toss the flour, rosemary and salt and pepper through. Add the beaten eggs and whisk well. Divide into 8 even sized patties about 10cm and 1cm think.

Get a baking tray lined with baking paper buttered up.

Pre-heat oven to 180 Celcius/Gas Mark 4. Then heat half oil and butter in a frying pan over the hob medium heat, put patties in (in batches if necessary) then gently cook for 3-4 mins each side, turning carefully until golden brown. Transfer to the baking tray, then bake for 15-20 mins or until cooked through

Serve with runner beans, tomato and chilli (you could subsitute the chopped tomatoes with garden tomatoes in a blender if you wanted to: HERE. A dollop of creme fraiche would also go down nicely too!
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 August 2012 at 10:08AM
    I didn't manage t spend under £20 on my weekly shop yesterday but I am still quite pleased as it was much less than we usually spend. I was sabotaged by DH:mad: in Mr A who wanted a curry from their 'takeaway' counter, some poppodums and a bit bottle of lucozade. He also managed to slip in some gammon with an apple sauce ( I have a gammon joint and cooking apples in the fridge!) that cost £2:eek: and a pack of Bob the builder crips for DS!! This little lot came to £9.18.

My total bill was £27.82, so I would have been well under without DH additions to the trolley. I can't complain really though because he has cut out alcohol and I would have spent a lot more on booze in the week. I am not having any either.

Total spent on food etc this week (including over 3 weeks worth of dog food is £64.61 - a really good reduction on what I usually spend and it includes an M&S £10 meal deal and the dog food for the rest of the month:D DH also spent £10:eek: on a chinese takeaway for himself but it came out of his winnings so I am not counting it in my GC total;)

I have £60 to spend until my next pay day which is the 22nd of August, so 2 weekends shopping.

I went to the precinct near us this morning as I had to go to the bank and they had a lovely fruit and veg shop with really cheap fruit and a B&M so I may go there next weekend.

They had horse carrots for £2.25 for 5kg (i think). Is this a good price and how long would they last? I can cope with just about any veg frozen but carrots have to be fresh and are mine and DS favourite veg:)

The butcher was telling a customer as I walked past that there is a big Icel*nd and a Mr M opening up there soon.

ETA: Thanks for your commersirations about the car. DH has managed to get the clutch (fly wheel), pads and disks for both sets of brakes and a recovery to his place of work for £197 and a hard days work so I am very relieved.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2012 at 1:19PM
    Please report tetjara above as spam.

:A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,289
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 August 2012 at 11:42AM
    I've just emailed requesting the two posts on here are removed and the poster is blocked. I used the email address in the turquoise box in the middle of the top of the screen. The board management crew might have a quicker way, I'm just a poster!

It makes me really cross!
    SL

...And there they are gone! Well done team!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Morning all

Just back from a weeks holiday, but as we went on 25th July i have missed the start of this thread and you are now 18 pages in. :eek: thats going to take some catching up.

Will set a budget of £200 again ths month, but as we both have another week off and need to fill the freezer and cupboards i can see myself playing catch up from mid August.

Hope everyone is well, we are away for the weekend from after lunch, so will try and catch up soon.
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
    Debt: £11850
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Updating with some spends from yesterday. Had to buy bread and mayo as I forgot my mum was coming round and she is a fuss eater, so have to keep lunch simple. £7.05/£200

Just doing my meal planner/shopping list for my first weekly shop for August now.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure