July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Aldahbra,

Here is the rose jelly recipe:

It's a Richard Mabey recipe from his book that I love to capture on foraging pics ;)

Basically collect a couple of cups of rose petals (wild not cultivated as the wild ones are much thinner and process easier). I mean 2 cups crammed full!
    photo-126.jpg?t=1340716963

Dissolve 2 cups sugar in half a cup of water mixed with a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice.

Stir in rose petals and stir over a low heat for 30 mins.

Cool a little then pour into sterile jars.

You may choose to keep the petals in or remove them. I tried both:
    photo-127.jpg?t=1340723159
    If you do not strain them out, they rise to the top and look really pretty!

I really hope you get into it! There is so much to forage in your locality. Even in the cities, things like plantain, dandelion, nettles, cleavers, horsetail etc can be found within a stones throw. There are usually much better finds though if you look.

It will help to stretch your grocery budget slightly too!!!
    I needed veggies yesterday but settled for the foraged beets n ramsons so I didn't have to spend on greens. :money:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Aldahbra,

Here is the rose jelly recipe:

Basically collect a couple of cups of rose petals (wild not cultivated as the wild ones are much thinner and process easier). I mean 2 cups crammed full!

Thanks, I'm a bit disappointed I was hoping to raid the garden for these and make some today, I'm not sure where wild roses would grow near me.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024
    Forumite
    edited 2 July 2012 at 9:34AM
    Aldahbra wrote: »

MrT have been selling 4pts of creamfields milk for £1 for some months now. They don't necessarily make it obvious on the shelves and last time I was in I had to actually ask where the semi skinned was, as I couldn't see it.

Thanks, we did used to get this but they don't do skimmed milk in that range so we get it from Iceland instead, it's still a 4 pinter :) (and Iceland is open later on a Sunday so that's advantageous when we've forgotten we need it!)
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 2 July 2012 at 1:59PM

Does anybody have any recommendations for a breadmaker - or is the consensus of opinion that there is more control over the process making bread manually (daily loaves that is)?

I use an ancient Panasonic, got to be 12 + years old now, always makes a lovely loaf. Can't believe how well it's lasted as I always make my own bread and there's 4 of us.

Re chicken stock, I also just bung the carcass in a saucepan and simmer for 40 mins or so. I might put celery in if I have it, more often not though! You get loads more meat off this way, perfect for soups and risotto.

Had a lovely baking session yesterday, scones and banana/choc chip muffins. The kids are very happy with their packed lunches today.:)
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Aldahbra, I am just using roses from the garden. Lavender from the garden too for Lavender Jelly.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024
    Forumite
    Panasonic SD255 breadmaker - has to be the best around in my opinion :)
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317
    Forumite
    Boodle wrote: »
    Aldahbra, I am just using roses from the garden. Lavender from the garden too for Lavender Jelly.

I have never heard of lavender Jelly either. Have you made it before?
    I think I'll give our roses a go then, silly question, does it matter which colour?
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I just soaked 10 lavender heads in 750ml water for 3 days, then strained it into a pan with 750g preserving sugar and the juice of half a lemon and boiled for about 7 minutes I think. It was very nice. I would imagine a redder rose would give a prettier colour but mine are quite a pale pink.

Should have mentioned that quantity gave me 5 jars full .
    Love and compassion to all x
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Aldahbra wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm a bit disappointed I was hoping to raid the garden for these and make some today, I'm not sure where wild roses would grow near me.

Cultivated roses would still work though!!!
    They are more chewy in the jelly though so you may prefer to scrape them off your toast leaving just the jelly behind. If you strain it anyway, then it won't really matter!!

Give it a go. You will LOVE the flavour.
    Think Turkish delight without the chemicals.

The pancakes were sublime yesterday.
    Next time I have icecream, I'm pouring some over it too!:)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Barbeduk wrote: »
    I use an ancient Panasonic, got to be 12 + years old now, always makes a lovely loaf. Can't believe how well it's lasted as I always make my own bread and there's 4 of us.

Together with the recommendation from lilian1977 I will look at the Panasonic and try to get one at a good price. I like the idea of being able to set the timer so that it starts about 4am in the morning and fills the house with the wonderful smell of freshly baked bread (especially in the dank dark dreary months of January and February).

May your week be replete with thriftiness,

179/200

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure