June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    I'll be interested to know how you get on with the 2 offers and if they let them both through! If yes, I might try that one myself :).

Not getting on very well with it at the moment, purely for the fact that i have reached £25 and cant think of what else i need! I used to spend £120 a week on food...and now i cant spend £80 :rotfl:

Trying to decide if i should carry on, stock up on offers etc, or just cancel and go to Lidl. To be honest, i coud spend £40 in Lidl, so i may as well carry on with Mr T.
  • KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    I can't remember the last time i bought heinz, lol, although they are nice i do think i prefer some own brands, but not so-op they just taste nasty, lol, i buy the cheapest basic brands of beans for cooking, i.e. for in a sausage and bean casserole and i use a tin or 2 to bulk up a spaghetti bolognese. And then i buy the next one up for eating on toast etc.

I have found bulk cooking helps in my portion control, as before i would use one 500g pack of mince to cook one meal for 7 of us, now if i bulk cook and freeze i can get 3 - 5 meals of of one pack as i bulk it out more with veg etc.

I got some bolognese sauce out of the freezer this morning and i packet of garlic bread i bought last week redued in the co-op so that's tea sorted.

The 3 big kids are at school today so just me and the little ones today, although i'm looking after a friends little boy for a few hours over lunchtime so that's yet another mouth to feed, lol.

I'm excited about doing this, it's like going to a weight loss group, you have someone to answer to if it all goes wrong, i went to get some money out this morning to pay for the kids school lunches and chose not to go in the shop and buy some chocolate cause i knew it would affect my total. :D

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite

I'll be interested to know how you get on with the 2 offers and if they let them both through! If yes, I might try that one myself :).

Spent another £12 on fresh stuff, milk, bananas, yoghurt etc yesterday so now I'm at budget with another week and half to go :eek:. However, I only need fresh stuff for this time period so shouldn't be too badly over budget, I hope :(.

When I was putting codes into Tesco for a delivery, it said you can only use one XXX code but I have used loads of others at the same time.

The £20 off a £40 shop is an XXX one.
  • familyms
    familyms Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2012 at 9:23AM
    :)Hello All

I'm relatively new to all of this, and haven't been on here for quite sometime, however am desperate to budget!! can anyone help with ideas of getting everyone onboard that being OH and DD(11yrs old). How much would anyone say is a reasonable about to budget for grocery shop for 2 adults and one 11yr old, including any treats for all ie: beer/wine/pop?, feel we all need a little treat as work all week!. Look forward to hearing from you all. Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place, I'm sure you will all help me. Thank you Mx

PS: Anyone watched 'extreme couponing' on TV, any advise how similar savings can be made in UK?
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Hey all!
    Well, i finished my online shop with Mr T. There was no way i could stretch to spending over £75, so i got as near to £50 as possible, to get my £10 off as it was my 1st online shop with them.
    The £10 came off with no probs at all, and i stocked up on my baking stuff.
    So, total was £57.92 - £10 (voucher) =£47.92 :)
    If anyone wants the code for £15 off a £75 shop, let me know and i'll post it here (but not sure if i am allowed to post codes on here???).
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ambassador
    edited 13 June 2012 at 10:27AM
    cleggie wrote: »
    Hey guys :)

I have a load of bacon to use up, so am wondering what you would use it for (to go into main meals for dinner)?
    The only thing i can think of is carbonara, but we all hate carbonara! Any ideas?

There's an old Ainsley recipe I used to do, which is something like:

1 pack puff pastry (or make your own!!!)
    1 tin beans
    1 onion
    3-4 rashers bacon
    Tabasco sauce
    cheddar cut into little cubes

Fry the onion and bacon together (no oil if fatty bacon)
    When soft and cooked turn off heat and stir in beans, cubes of cheese and sprinkle Tabasco (depending how spicy you like it)

Cut pastry into 4 pieces and divide mixture between them, rolling up as you go into pasty shapes

Brush with milk and cook - can't remember what heat or how long for, but it's basically to cook the pastry so sure you can work it out!

VERY yummy :D

LC

Also, need to up my budget again this month...not sure what is wrong with me this month, my meal planning is shot!

HelenJelly please amend my budget to £120!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Spend of £3.54 in Mr S tonight - bought some cherry tomatoes, coconut milk and regular milk. Making a Goan fish curry tonight with a paste from Mr S which I noticed is OOD this month. Will update siggy.

Also booked a delivery for Mr T last night because I received a £20 off £40 code - tbh, it's mostly toiletries like mouthwash, toothpaste, shower gel, face wash, plus the water filter cartridges. Also got some lunch items, tuna and things to go with meat already in the freezer for meals this week/next week. I'll update this amount as soon as I get the delivery so I know the exact amount but it SHOULD come in around £25 when delivery is included in the cost. Not bad really :D
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    MrsCD wrote: »

I has a NSD today :) which im happy with but will have to go to the shops again tomorrow as we are running low on toilet roll - im sure my kids use half a roll a time lol.

Have you tried squashing the toilet roll a bit into an oval shape rather than round? It makes it harder to just pull like those pesky puppies do on the TV!!! :rotfl:

Fantastic and practical tip:T

Nice one. I am going to implement this straight await:T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • second time lucky - just deleted my first post without saving it!

still off sick and going through tissues at a rate of knots so off to buy some more. Feeling like I need soup today so going to get some watercress to make rose elliots delicious watercress soup - you fry the potatoes first and it gives it the most amazing taste! Also thinking I need some tom yum so will look for spinach or pak choy, whichevers cheaper!

on a disappointing note i found a grocery receipt for may in an old carrier bag and have to increase the total by £28. :( thought i had been so good at collecting receipts too. still it was only my first month which will make this months reduction look even better! :T
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    [STRIKE]£1,391[/STRIKE]
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

• jasmin10
    jasmin10 Posts: 905 Forumite
    I'm ashamed to say that yesterday was rubbish. I had already bean shopping on Saturday and dipped into next weeks budget by £7.

Then yesterday I was at the hospital waiting for a medical diagnosis to be confirmed which in one sense I was pleased to have it confirmed but then felt cheesed off and throughly depressed. Needless to say I went onto Mr M's and thought stuff it why cant I have the things I want to make nice meals and bought everything I was resisting plus a pack of 6 doughnuts (ate 3 on the way home for comfort :( and a bottle of wine for later.

The shopping made me feel tons better along with the wine etc but now I feel miserable, guilty and mad with myself re my budget as I spent £58 and working so hard at controlling it. Still within my overall budget and probably have enough food now to see us through til DH's payday on the 28th.

Still not the point tho.
    TopCashback £1792.63
    My Little World
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills