PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    So far today has been a NSD, YAY, really had to resist temptation, it's so hard. Now all the kids are home from school if i want to go to the shop i need to take all 5 out with me which wont be happening, as OH wont be home from work till 11.

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • sb88_2
    sb88_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2012 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Thanks Cleggie!

SB88 - any chance of a link to the sausage and lentil casserole? Or is there a particular recipe you use as it sounds lovely :)

I don't actually use a recipe, I've always just, thrown things together lol So I couldn't even tell you quantities :(

but I'll try to sum it up! I will put it in the slow cooker sometimes, or leave it in the oven for 1- 1 and a half hours on about 200 (non fan assisted oven)

(for 2)
    I precook the sausages, or at least brown them! Normally use 2 per person.. Sometimes I will leave them whole, other times I will chop them up! I cook the lentils to pack instructions (if im slow cooking, boil vig for 10 minutes, wash, and add to the pot) normally use 4-5 table spoons of dried lentils.

I start by using a tin of chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup of water, and a beef stock cube and thrown in some chopped onion, oregenao and sometimes tyme from the garden, a little salt and pepper.
    I also add a diced red bell pepper, 2-3 medium sized diced potatoes and of course the sausage and lentils!

I hope this makes sense!! I also will add a bit of beef gravy granuelstowards the end to thicken it up!

I just pop it in the oven and hope for the best!
    Sarah
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    just on to say FLO i made GOK WAN recipe you posted for fried rice...................... ab brilliant looked and tasted just like a take away so it will be a firm favorite now in our house, made too much so got same amount agin in fridge going to look up internet and see if i can freeze it. thanks FLO great recipe!!!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • little_miss_moneysaver_3
    Options
    Had another little spend. Went to Mr S for drinks/snacks as am travelling to a funeral tomorrow. Not coming out of my groc budget though. Of course had to look at the whoopsies just incase and got some radishes for 37p. Had run out but wasn't going to buy any full price! Still need to update my sig with the loaf from yday too so will do that now before I forget.

Have a portion of LO bolognaise in the fridge which I think I freeze. OH is out tonight and I have some cheese to use up which I really fancy so will have cheese on toast or jacket potato with salad. Have berries to use up with the last little bit of creme fraiche. so I think I'm sorted :)
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    jasmin10 wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to say that yesterday was rubbish. I had already bean shopping on Saturday and dipped into next weeks budget by £7.

Then yesterday I was at the hospital waiting for a medical diagnosis to be confirmed which in one sense I was pleased to have it confirmed but then felt cheesed off and throughly depressed. Needless to say I went onto Mr M's and thought stuff it why cant I have the things I want to make nice meals and bought everything I was resisting plus a pack of 6 doughnuts (ate 3 on the way home for comfort :( and a bottle of wine for later.

The shopping made me feel tons better along with the wine etc but now I feel miserable, guilty and mad with myself re my budget as I spent £58 and working so hard at controlling it. Still within my overall budget and probably have enough food now to see us through til DH's payday on the 28th.

Still not the point tho.

PLEASE dont be hard on yourself jasmin10, sometimes we just have to do whatever gets us through the tough times and in the grand scheme of things, that was a very small slip.

Hoping you feel much better very soon :T
  • Midgetgem82
    Midgetgem82 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Went to Ald* and spent £31.36 then on to MrT and a spend of £27.47.
    I'm really trying to cut down on what i'm buying from MrT but there r some things that just aren't as nice in Ald*, kids cereal and squash for example.
    I got half the amount of stuff in MrT as i did in Aldi and it cost almost the same?!
    I think i will come in under budget this month so am starting to think about cutting it next month, which will mean stricter meal planning i think
    DEBT FREE WANNABE
    [STRIKE]H+M £72.89[/STRIKE] NEXT £319.56 22.9%APR BARCLAY CARD £352.90 26.43%APR ARGOS CARD£38.26/ £698.02 29.9%APR VERY £221.19/ £1825.21 47.9%APR :eek:
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    Bad day today, poor DD (only 22) found a lump and was referred to breast clinic, went for scan and they did an immediate biopsy......I am obviously terrified and trying not to show it.

Any positive thoughts and prayers you can spare will be gratefully received while my girl waits for the result :(

£20 spent on taxis and buses to and from hospital.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so so sorry to hear that Fozzie.
    i am sending you and your DD all the positive thoughts i can. I hope it turns out OK.xx.
  • EverTheOptimist
    EverTheOptimist Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really sorry to hear that Fozzie.

Thinking of you at this time, praying for a positive outcome for your DD. Try to stay positive as best you can.
    xxxx
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
    Debt: £11850
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,960 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fozzie - hope for good results for your DD. I have been there with one of my DDs - turned out to be cysts.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3129 May - 17/10
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £58.56/£100 NSD - 84
    2024 Craft Makes - 213 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts