May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    can we post stuff that we have to use up on this thread ?? I have in my fridge aubergines/peppers/onions/a cucumber/spring onions/courgettes/mushrooms/carrots and stir fry veg ?!

any ideas on how best to use all this up ???
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,856
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi folks. Can I sign up for the GC this month. Have lapsed over the last couple of months. Am trying for £150 this month but am away on holiday for a week or so in the middle of the month so (hopefully) should be less than that.

Just about to head out to Mr T to see if I can pick up some discounted bread. On a Saturday night - I am so rock and roll:rotfl:!
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • Flat_Eric wrote: »
    can we post stuff that we have to use up on this thread ?? I have in my fridge aubergines/peppers/onions/a cucumber/spring onions/courgettes/mushrooms/carrots and stir fry veg ?!

any ideas on how best to use all this up ???

Couple of suggestions:

Aubergine & Courgette Bake ... yum!

I've used this recipe in the past & it was errrr yum!

http://hje-at-home.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/aubergine-courgette-bake.html (you may need to print the page to read it)

Roasted peppers stuffed with savoury rice

Cheat a bit with this one:

1/2 peppers & remove seeds
    Put in roasting tin & drizzle with olive oil
    Roast for about 10-15 mins @ around 200 deg
    Turn over & roast the other side

Meanwhile - make a packet of savoury rice of your choice (L*idl do a fab Mexican one) - I tend to fry off any any veg I have that need used up (eg mushrooms) & add them to the mixture

Remove peppers from oven, stuff with rice & sprinkle with cheese
    Put back in oven for a few mins until cheese melts ..... yum!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Evenin' all.
    Had to buy eggs today. :( I was hoping for a third NSD in a row.
    So to cheer myself up after work, and having to make the dinner when I got home, I made one of those mw sponge puds I've been reading about. I put some raspberry jam in the bottom and it was lovely. :) Had some hm custard with it - thanks Florenceem for reminding me how much better it is than the instant stuff!

I don't know how to do the bottom bit with the figures etc., but I'm aiming for a weekly spend of no more than £75 for 4 adults (food, toiletries and household stuff) and trying to shop once a week, except for absolute necessities.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)
    2024 Fashion on the ration 0/66 used
  • HappyTorty
    HappyTorty Posts: 179 Forumite
    MrsCD wrote: »
    Evenin' all.
    Had to buy eggs today. :( I was hoping for a third NSD in a row.
    So to cheer myself up after work, and having to make the dinner when I got home, I made one of those mw sponge puds I've been reading about. I put some raspberry jam in the bottom and it was lovely. :) Had some hm custard with it - thanks Florenceem for reminding me how much better it is than the instant stuff!

I don't know how to do the bottom bit with the figures etc., but I'm aiming for a weekly spend of no more than £75 for 4 adults (food, toiletries and household stuff) and trying to shop once a week, except for absolute necessities.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

Go to the green bar above the title of this thread. Click on user CP, then on the left hand side "edit signature" HTH
    May Grocery Challenge : 64.81 so far

May NSD: 0
  • Gorgeestwo
    Gorgeestwo Posts: 537
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    o
    NickJW wrote: »
    That wouldn't by any chance be the white chocolate malteser, malt cheesecake from bbcgoodfood by any chance? If it is, please let me know how it is, because I have Horlicks in the cupboard and was considering making that! :D

Its not Nick, though did see that one, its this one here http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/637209 but the ingredients cost over £11 :eek: I've made it before and it really was delicious :D but its not very MSE!
    If you make the other one let me know what its like :) we all love cheesecake in this house and love trying new variations.
  • Gorgeestwo
    Gorgeestwo Posts: 537
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Roasted peppers stuffed with savoury rice

Cheat a bit with this one:

1/2 peppers & remove seeds
    Put in roasting tin & drizzle with olive oil
    Roast for about 10-15 mins @ around 200 deg
    Turn over & roast the other side

Meanwhile - make a packet of savoury rice of your choice (L*idl do a fab Mexican one) - I tend to fry off any any veg I have that need used up (eg mushrooms) & add them to the mixture

Remove peppers from oven, stuff with rice & sprinkle with cheese
    Put back in oven for a few mins until cheese melts ..... yum!

Thanks for this I'm going to give this a go, both my children absolutely love peppers in any shape or form, do you serve it with anything else?

I'm definitely going to be trying some of the recipes on the first page as my son has asked that wednesday be our 'try something new day' :) this week I'm going to be making my first ever risotto, which I have to say I'm a little bit scared about lol
  • Hello,
    Can I join in please?
    I really have no clue as to what we spend each week on food but what I do know is that I dont have any money left at the end of every month.
    I would like to start with £160 a week please. Thats for 3 adults, 2 teenagers and a dog. To include ALL food, toiletries and cleaning stuff.
    NSD 2012
    APR 1/10 MAY 0/10 JUN 0/10 JUL 0/10 AUG 0/10
    SEPT 0/10 OCT 0/10 NOV 0/10 DEC 0/10
    GC 2012
    APR 1177.40 !!! MAY 0/600 JUN 0/600 JUL 0/600 AUG 0/600
    SEPT 0/600 OCT 0/600 NOV 0/600 DEC 0/600
  • Hi sorry I've been MIA but I'm revising for an exam the Wednesday after next. I haven't had time to read everyone's posts but will catch up after my exam. In the meantime, I'll just post my week's spend each Tues. Hope everyone's OK :).

Please can you add me to this month's challenge:

£320 for the month

Thank you.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • Evening! :)

First spend of the month, although I don't actually get paid until Monday! Went to Mr M's, spent more than I hoped - £49.64. It should cover at least a couple of weeks for freezer and store cupboard, so next week all we'll need is milk, fresh veg and fruit. It also included two bottles of wine, which bumped it up a bit!:o

I went through the freezers and did an inventory today :eek: Let's just say that last time I did it was in 2008, and some of the meat was still there! :o I'm guessing it won't all be edible :D but if it looks and smells ok when it's defrosted, we'll give it a go!

Jumblejack's bread looks fab - is the recipe on here somewhere?

Have a good evening all! :beer:
    CBx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family