PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    not awake yet - what does moc stand for ???

Money off Coupon

Most of them are a bit of a con IMHO - eg spend £40 and then get a £5 MOC off your next £40 shop so ..... you actually need to spend £80 to get £5 off.

So, they actually encourage you to go & spend money and, yes you may get £5 off but would you usually have spent £80?

(Obviously rewards ones like CCard ones are different as you've already spent money to get them IYSWIM)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    not awake yet - what does moc stand for ???
    money off coupon:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 April 2012 at 8:55AM
    Options
    morning....hope everyone is well and dry...difficult in there drought conditions....we are having chicken fried rice for lumch then out for tea....the rice is the 3rd meal from a chicken i got in the m and s meal deal....we have had a roast dinner fajitas and fried rice to come
    need to sort out some bits for tomorrows pack ups i have done a weeks meal plan for next week

what do peeps think of frozen veg ? for 99p a bag i got kg bags of
    peas
    fine beans
    broccoli/cauliflower/carrot
    i thought i would use them this week and see how we go....seems cheap

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Carmilla
    Carmilla Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    My month starts tomorrow and I think I've really underestimated what I will need as I've got a completely empty fridge and freezer and a box of tins, pulses and herbs, as we have just moved out of a shared house. Do you think I should up my budget now or try to stick to it but accept I will be way over it by the end of the month? Going shopping today before the month starts feels like cheating, what do you think?
    :ANeeding to save all the money, lots of MSE learning still to do

DS Born Jan 2012, Baba number 2 due in June 2014
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Craig. The choccy fudge recipe is more a 'made by eye' cake. The only thing I weigh are the cake ingredients to get the ratio right.

If its a cake for a dinner party then out comes my large tin. It would be a 6oz of each:butter, sugar. Then 3 eggs. Finally, 1oz of cocoa and 5 of SR flour.

This takes an age in my oven so I only do large cakes for special occasions!

The topping is lush but is done without scales. I couldn't even guess the measurements as it is just added bit by bit til it's right.

Basically it is butter which I melt in a pan. This is removed from the heat and then I add milk to it.

In a bowl I seive cocoa powder and icing sugar then I add the butter n milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon. It it's too dry, I keep adding a little milk until it is shiny and a spreadable thickness.

When the cake is cooled, I half it into 2 pieces. The spread goes in between the layers and is spread on the top and sides.

When it is cooled it is nice with cream but I like it best served on individual plates which can be nuked for a few seconds. It comes out with a steamy moist sponge and the topping begins to remelt almost into a sauce. :)

Serve immediately to your guests with icecream!

If you were doing this just for family (so the look of it is not important) then experiment doing a 2 min micro cake. The topping method can be done on a tiny scale instead of using nearly a full big box of icing sugar!

;)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    I'm just nipping in to say I'm aiming for £150 for May - 5 week month at £30 p/w

Good luck all

p_grrl x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • chelseabun_3
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Here you go:

JJ's Herby Cheese Bread:D

Mix ingredients together in this order below with a fork until it forms into a ball, then finish with clean hands:

8oz SR flour

1.5oz fat (any will do: butter/marg/suet/spread/reserved fat from cooking joints, etc)

4oz grated cheese

Handful of herbs (I prefer chives:))

1 egg

Up to 1/4 pint of milk (add gradually as if making scones. You may not need the whole amount;))

1 tsp mustard.

If too wet add more flour, if too dry add more milk.

Method for bread to accompany a soup:

Pat/roll it into a circle on a tray.

Cut it into 6 wedges and slightly part them.

Glaze with egg or milk.

Looks like this as they go in the oven:
    photo-64.jpg?t=1335546246
    15 mins or until golden around 200 degrees
    Then it should look like this (mmmmm, smell that!):
    photo-65.jpg?t=1335546854
    Verdict: Nom!
    photo-66.jpg?t=1335548045

Method for dumplings:

Roll into 6 (or more if you want smaller ones) balls and add to a simmering stew.

Pop back into oven with the lid off and allow to cook in the liquid.
    Cooking time depends on the temperature I'd oven and size of the dumplings. I usually leave em in a good 20 mins. :)

Thanks JJ - you're a star!:A They look delicious! I'll be having a go at them soon, and will let you know how I get on!
    CBx :)
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    Hello! Not been around in April at all as I completely lost track of ALL of my spending. I don't think it was great from my bank balance, but it doesn't seem to have been a complete disaster. We spent over £300 in GC's March which I'm not very happy about as there's only 2 of us and a puppy/young dog. I know that it's not generally recommended to lower the budget until you're comfortable with the one you've been setting yourself but I found myself thinking 'I still have x for this month' and spending 'x-a little bit' on the previous months :(. So I'm challenging myself and setting £200 for May (I'll just update my sig Helen, thank you!). I've found out we have a lid* nearby so I'll be popping in there rather than relying solely on Mr T and I'm considering having a 2nd purse as well but this may not happen till June. We'll see. I found out I'm pregnant a few weeks ago and have been very tired so may not be able to post regularly but will try to read the thread regularly and will definitely report at the end of May (I find that doing these help me keeping on track so thank you all!). Good luck everyone and thanks to everyone who keeps this thread going!!

Congratulations!! What lovely news!! :T
  • fozziebeartoo
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Tesco value english mustard :)

I only had Colemans dry mustard powder (bought for my Christmas gammon glaze) so I used a spoon of that in my bread......such a versatile recipe!! :T
  • fozziebeartoo
    Options
    what do peeps think of frozen veg ? for 99p a bag i got kg bags of
    peas
    fine beans
    broccoli/cauliflower/carrot
    i thought i would use them this week and see how we go....seems cheap

take care tess

Now I am on my own, I am finding frozen veg brillant value!!

When I was cooking for the famiy, I always tried to use fresh veg, mainly because I prefer the taste......but there is so much waste when you peel, chop, forget to use it (not that anyone on THIS thread would waste veg ;)).

My best buys have been frozen diced onion and mixed peppers - added them to alost every dish I make and lasted ages.

I also find frozen mixed veg useful for bulking out casseroles, stews etc with very little effort and gets me eating peas and sweetcorn, neither of which I would probably have otherwise.

Has anyone had good experiences with frozen mushrooms? I would like to have them to hand at all times but find them a bit "smelly and slimey"......maybe some brands are better than others????

Any opinions please???

I currently always use fresh......but when I go out to buy 85p's worth of fresh mushrooms from Lidl, I come back with £10 or £20's worth of other stuff too :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure