April 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Just updated signature as £21 to add, went with a neighbour to Asda and ainsburys, the weather is foul so the offer of a lift was great b
    struck lucky for half price reductions in both stores so now have more than enough meat for May, also called in HB and got a £3 apple tree.

Thinking I am going to declare my kitchen a disaster area and keep out for a few days, I have so far managed to burn a pan of rice, knock a roasting pan with a small joint of beef off the table, and in trying to catch it knock the the crock to my slow cooker off, also
    my Kenwood meat slicer, both broken, lucky the meat tin landed right side up so i can use the beef but I am thinking it turned out to be a very expensive joint.

Hope everyone is having a better time than me.
    Slimming World at target
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »
    Just updated signature as £21 to add, went with a neighbour to Asda and ainsburys, the weather is foul so the offer of a lift was great b
    struck lucky for half price reductions in both stores so now have more than enough meat for May, also called in HB and got a £3 apple tree.

Thinking I am going to declare my kitchen a disaster area and keep out for a few days, I have so far managed to burn a pan of rice, knock a roasting pan with a small joint of beef off the table, and in trying to catch it knock the the crock to my slow cooker off, also
    my Kenwood meat slicer, both broken, lucky the meat tin landed right side up so i can use the beef but I am thinking it turned out to be a very expensive joint.

Hope everyone is having a better time than me.

Oh no!! :mad::mad::mad:

Definitely stay out! It just makes you wonder what the point of being good and careful was!! Make sure you enjoy that meat!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,819
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    The meat n tatty pies were soooooooo succulent :)

photo-61.jpg?t=1335365020

I've not long finished mine. :D

Pennygrabber, I just use any regular dinner plate for pies. ;)
    No need for extra tins. I do have one pie plate but I don't like to use it as it discolours the bottom of my pies if leftovers remain in it overnight. :eek:

Didn't get to make soup today so will make a roast pepper soup tomorrow as picked up loads tonight for pence:T
    Can you share the recipe please? Look yummy.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1895/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £3.01/£100 NSD - 55
    2024 Craft Makes - 104 Craft Spends 2024 £186.95/£500
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Good Morning everyone....yet another horrible wet day here!

Today will be a NSD because I have DGS for the day but no buggy and the thought of trying to control a 2 year old with all those puddles is :mad:

Today will be my 12th NSD which is great but also shocking that I could spend so much on the other days :eek:

Just has a HM yorky pudding for brekkie :o made them for tea and planning on re-heating but I am HOPELESS at them. I am a good cook but yorkers defeat me everytime, so thought I had better try one......mediocre to say the least :(

Lunch will be LO HM bread, LO little tin of M&S ham (surprisingly tasty) and yogurt.

Tea is a YS/whoopsied stuffed turkey breast joint, frozen roasties, HM yorkers, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, green beans (from freezer) and lots of gravy to disguise my yorkers :rotfl:

This is a real trial for me, when I have anyone round for tea, I feel compelled to spend, spend, spend (even if it is just family) and I think this is the 1st time EVER (and I am 52!!!) I have done an entire meal including pudding with stuff I already had in the house.......

It feels very weird.

But also very MSE :money:
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Can you share the recipe please? Look yummy.

Aww. Thanks :o

The method is really simple.

I fried plenty of onions.
    Added the cubed steak (YS casserole steak in this one) and fried off with the onions.
    Then I added small cubed potatoes (YS organic baby new potatoes with skin left on in this case). I fried these for a couple of minutes too.
    Then I added stock and PLENTY of black pepper and a bit of salt.

Left it to cook slowly (mine cooked for around 5-6 hrs in the thermal cooker).

I made up a big batch of shortcrust pastry (as I also made a couple of apple pies) and I made one proper plate pie for my folks and just a topped pie (a casserole dish full of filling but topped with pastry lid) for us.

Eggy wash on the top and a sprinkling of salt before it went in the oven. :T

For breakfast this morning we had HM banana porridge with a bit of ginger and golden syrup. It's a good way of using bananas up and keeps you from snacking mid morning.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...going to have shepherds pie for tea and a nice pudding but have yet to decide what that will be....going to spend the day cleaning up the house and planning some meals for next week...oh need to check what is cheap in lidl this weekend

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    hi...going to have shepherds pie for tea and a nice pudding but have yet to decide what that will be....going to spend the day cleaning up the house and planning some meals for next week...oh need to check what is cheap in lidl this weekend

take care tess

Lidl Half Price Weekend offers 28th-29th April

Fresh British Chicken mini fillets 375g was £2.29 now £1.14

Dulano Premium Kabanossi (smoked turkey & pork or smoked pork) 2 pack was £1.89 now 94p

Fresh Cucumber was 79p now 39p
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,819
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Aww. Thanks :o

The method is really simple.

I fried plenty of onions.
    Added the cubed steak (YS casserole steak in this one) and fried off with the onions.
    Then I added small cubed potatoes (YS organic baby new potatoes with skin left on in this case). I fried these for a couple of minutes too.
    Then I added stock and PLENTY of black pepper and a bit of salt.

Left it to cook slowly (mine cooked for around 5-6 hrs in the thermal cooker).

I made up a big batch of shortcrust pastry (as I also made a couple of apple pies) and I made one proper plate pie for my folks and just a topped pie (a casserole dish full of filling but topped with pastry lid) for us.

Eggy wash on the top and a sprinkling of salt before it went in the oven. :T

For breakfast this morning we had HM banana porridge with a bit of ginger and golden syrup. It's a good way of using bananas up and keeps you from snacking mid morning.
    What's the idea of sprinkling salt on top of the pie - I wouldn't be doing that - don't use salt.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1895/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £3.01/£100 NSD - 55
    2024 Craft Makes - 104 Craft Spends 2024 £186.95/£500
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    I'm already over this month, my month doesn't end til the last day of the month :mad:

Really annoyed with DH though. We had a 'disagreement' over money at the weekend. He got a tax rebate and decided to buy himself a large purchase (50% of the rebate). I know that he needed what he bought, and I did agree that he should buy it, but..... Still doesn't make it easier with the amount that was spent on it.

So, he goes out on Saturday with a friend to buy said item. He said he would take care of dinner when he came home. Turned out him and his friend decided to buy an indian takeaway :mad: So another what, £15 for that for me and him?? THEN he pulls out a bag of 'goodies' from MrT's that he bought 'to cheer me up' :mad: Must have spent a good £15 on that as well!! :eek:

I tried to explain that him spending money on carp to appease me after spending £600+ that morning wasn't the best idea!!
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure