Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    vintage43
    A new start for a newbie
    • 6th Nov 11, 7:47 PM
    A new start for a newbie 6th Nov 11 at 7:47 PM
    I have been a lurker on this site for about two years now and decided that after ordering 236 of christmas party clothes from n*xt that I really do have a spending problem. I guess it's kind of like having a drink problem, where I'll be really good for a short while and then do something completely impulsive and waste a shed load of money I can't afford. So the lovely clothes went unopened and I repacked them into the returns bag and will drop them at the post office tomorrow.
    I work full time but have just gone back to work after having quite along time off and now have to have another small op tomorrow which is going to keep me off work for another two weeks, I have run out of sick pay and have a mortgage of over 700 per month, so spending 236 on sparkly clothes is ridiculous!! I have three teenage boys and a dog and am a single parent, I bought the house 3 years ago after being in shared ownership. Ideally I'd like to clear all my debts and get onto the mortgage free board, I know I can do it if I try
    I'm hoping that writing on this daily will give me the motivation to stay focused.
    Today I have had my very first NSD EVER
    I also cleared out the money jar, using a knife so I didn't break it and got 115.61 which I'll pay off the mortgage tomorrow.
    Made stock from the chicken carcass, pulled all the remaining chicken off the bones and put it in the freezer, fed the dog with the left over lunch bits and chicken skin.
    Went through and organised all my birthday cards, gift tags and wrapping paper, I'm a sucker for buying pretty birthday bits and have at least enough to last me all of next year and maybe a bit more.
    I sold a chest of Drawers I was going to skip on E*ay for 43!!!!
    I won't post now probably til Wednesday when I'm home after the op but I am feeling so happy that I have made a start that I can't tell you
    I have put a rough estimate of debts on my signature and am going to concentrate on the overdraft first, then the credit card or should it be the other way around because of the interest?
    I haven't put the loan on yet that I took out for 9000 to update the house over 18 months ago, as I need to check how much it is now, I wasted most of it, can't think what on now which is worrying, all I seem to have to show for it is a new door and windows!!
    Anyway enough waffle, I'm going to cringe my way through the XFactor
    Thanks for taking the time to read

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Helen; 22-11-2011 at 8:17 PM.
    vintage43
    NSD 42/365 2012
    - A new start for a newbie
    Next - 1033.62 Barclaycard - 5683 Mortgage - 125471 Overdraft - 903Loan 3562 - Total Debts = 10179 Monthly shopping 100 spent so far 12.65
Page 11
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

604Posts Today

4,299Users online

Martin's Twitter