warm home discount scheme

if you qualified for the warm home £120 fuel rebate discount this year(2011/12)a reminder that unless you qualified automatically then you will have to re-apply for 2012/13(£130)

the scheme runs for 4 years,and has to be applied for each year,so after april 6th 2012 contact your supplier to register again.

all payments for 2011/12 should be made before the end of march,and if it puts your account in credit you can ask for a refund,or lower monthly direct debits if you prefer

Comments

• Paid by the end of March. Thanks for that, I qualified automatically but haven't had it credited yet . . . I can trust EDF can't I?:eek:
  • lyndac40
    lyndac40 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi just to let you know I called BG today because I hadn't heard anything and my payment has been released yesterday. So I should get it either Saturday or Tuesday when I top up my meter. xxxxxxx
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Thanks for this reminder. I got this years from Southern Electric on monday, it was added to my key meter automatically.
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you didn't qualify automatically but will for 2012/13, it will be wise to check as to whether it will benefit you, if you are already on your companies social tariff (BG=Essentials). Most of the big 6 I believe are keeping these tariffs goings if you are already on it, until the end of 2013.

So you need to work out whether or not the rebate from the warm home discount scheme will outway the benefits of the reduced prices of the social tariff you are on. In my personal case, I am better off staying on the Essentials tariff, to move to the warm home discount scheme will make me around £300 a year worse off:eek::eek:

You have to remember to move to the warm home discount scheme, you will be removed from the social tariff and have to go onto a more expensive tariff overall. Due to the price differences you could be a lot worse off. I have spent a great deal of time and effort looking into this and it is fact.

I devised a spreadsheet which takes into account my annual usage (which changes little from year to year). I tested the spreadsheet against last years bills and it is accurate to within £2 over the course of the year, so it is definately correct. This demonstrated that for me, moving to the warm home scheme will cost me just over £300 a year more based on current prices.

Sadly a lot of people are swayed by the fact that on paper it looks like you are being given £100 for the current year and rising each year of the four years it runs. The fact is you probably benefit by more than that from the discounted prices of the social tariffs there are/were.

There will only ever be one winner and it will always be the energy companies. So please check before you jump! the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
  • welshsue
    welshsue Posts: 571 Forumite
    I was with Swalec on the social tariff and was told about a month ago that this has stopped a year ago and I should not have been receiving it still (prepayment meter so their fault they didn't change it). They changed me onto the normal rate (16ppu) and I have just swapped to Scottish power who are a bit cheaper( just over 12ppu). The home front discount would not even scratch the surface of the difference between the tariffs and we are too late to apply for this year so will have to apply from 6th April for 2012/2013.
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This is the sad thing about this switch, thousands of people are falling into the trap of seeing the £100 rebate and thinking that will automatically make them better off.

It is a bit like dangling a carrot. It all sounds great in principle but in reality a lot of vulnerable people are going to end up a lot worse off. The whole scheme is gold mine for the energy companies. I dread the day that British Gas tell me the essentials tariff is closed and I have to move to the warm home discount scheme. My energy costs are going to increase by over £300 a year or £25 a month and that is after the annual rebate!!!

If you are currently on your energy companies Social Tariff, please do the maths and work it out as you could be much worse off by switching to this scheme. If you are then sit tight until they force you off the Social Tariff!!
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 March 2012 at 6:21PM
    @simom7685
    Think you've got your wires crossed.

The thread is regarding the warm home £120 fuel rebate discount, referred to in the OP and applies to people on certain benefits. Nothing to do with the warm home discount scheme and nothing to do with changing tariffs.
  • I think it might be an idea if this sticky wasnt used to discuss tariffs etc in general,as its meant purely to remind people to re-register for warm home scheme for 2012/13(or indeed to register for the first time),if they dont qualify to get it without claiming
    thanks
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2012 at 7:31PM
    @simom7685
    Think you've got your wires crossed.

The thread is regarding the warm home £120 fuel rebate discount, referred to in the OP and applies to people on certain benefits. Nothing to do with the warm home discount scheme and nothing to do with changing tariffs.
    The £120 fuel rebate discount is the Warm Home Discount Scheme?

I'm with British Gas, currently on their Essentials tariff (for people on certain benefits), if you're already on that scheme you can't get the £120 fuel rebate. The Essentials tariff has now been stopped since the government brought in the Warm Home scheme, existing customers will at some point be taken off Essentials and put on a more expensive tariff.

Simon7865 makes a very good point that people will probably be worse off on the £120 rebate than they are now on the social tariffs. It's easy to think "oh I'll get £120 on this new scheme" but it could cost you double that in higher fuel costs.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Simon7685 wrote: »
    This is the sad thing about this switch, thousands of people are falling into the trap of seeing the £100 rebate and thinking that will automatically make them better off.

It is a bit like dangling a carrot. It all sounds great in principle but in reality a lot of vulnerable people are going to end up a lot worse off. The whole scheme is gold mine for the energy companies. I dread the day that British Gas tell me the essentials tariff is closed and I have to move to the warm home discount scheme. My energy costs are going to increase by over £300 a year or £25 a month and that is after the annual rebate!!!

If you are currently on your energy companies Social Tariff, please do the maths and work it out as you could be much worse off by switching to this scheme. If you are then sit tight until they force you off the Social Tariff!!
    Essentials tariff is ending end of this month ! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport