Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    mrbadexample
    Help MBE grow his dinner 2012
    • 21st Jan 12, 5:52 PM
    Help MBE grow his dinner 2012 21st Jan 12 at 5:52 PM

Well, here we are again then.

Looking forward to a new season of grub fresh from the garden. I've just harvested the last potatoes, parsnips, beetroot and carrots, so once they're gone I might actually have to buy something.

Last season was good. A few things didn't work too well, but mostly I had good results. I went shopping today for seed potatoes - Pentland Javelin for the earlies, and Picasso for the maincrop as they were so good last year.

I think I need to get the chillies started next weekend, and have a rummage through my seed collection to see what's what.

Things I learned last year:

1. I don't need that many swede.
    2. Things grown in tubs, with the possible exception of radishes, are nowhere near as good as those grown in the ground.
    3. White beetroot is interesting but nowhere near as tasty as red.
    4. I could probably do without the greenhouse as far as tomatoes are concerned, as the outdoors ones were excellent. Mind you, the grafted ones in the greenhouse were pretty impressive in terms of yield.
    5. I like French beans.

This year's competition is not yet confirmed but seems likely to be onions. Which probably means I need to sow them three weeks ago.

By the end of the year I'd like to have a pond.

Oh, and I've got a couple of Romanesco cauliflower having a good go at forming a head.

Feel free to join in as and when.

MBE
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
Page 22
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,615Posts Today

6,766Users online

Martin's Twitter