IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Only cruises - cruise deals for all
Reply
Views: 140,294
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 241
coupon collector
Old 02-03-2012, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Default

thanks again gm4l I was tempted by the marco polo price but the typical british weather put me off lol. Hope you have a great time on it and get some sunshine!

Jade from venice sounds nice we have our eye on that one too plus the epics france/spain/italy Itinery that leaves from Rome I think? Wouldn't mind a Royal Carribean deal from southampton either as it's always preferable to fighting your way onto a ryan air or easyjet plane lol.

I think this year we are really going to have some good last minute deals,hopefully one for the epic
as I love comedy shows and the blue man group
coupon collector is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 242
bcl999
Old 02-03-2012, 5:23 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

I've never been on NCL. I spotted a TA on one of their ships for 231 sole occ inside guarantee (a mattress in the engine room at that price maybe) on VivaVoyage (they charge a booking fe of 39 which needs to be added) last weekend. 11 nights from Miami to Barcelona, if I remember, right, depart 14 April or thereabouts. I'm happy with the deal I got on Weds with MSC.

I know it's difficult to say but would you still rate NCL if you weren't a regular with the benefits? Things I've read make them sound like they charge you to blow your nose once on board.
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 243
Froggitt
Old 02-03-2012, 5:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl999 View Post
I know it's difficult to say but would you still rate NCL if you weren't a regular with the benefits? Things I've read make them sound like they charge you to blow your nose once on board.
They all do though. NCL no better no worse.
illegitimi non carborundum
Froggitt is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 244
getmore4less
Old 02-03-2012, 6:01 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 19,756
Default

OK another one,
11 March, MSC 20days fly cruise 499.
http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Cr...S&ship_code=LI


This time cruiseclubUk get the credit for first eamil at the 499 price.

on line email flyer
http://www.cruiseclubuk.com/eshots/e...ter2march.html

Last edited by getmore4less; 02-03-2012 at 6:09 PM.
getmore4less is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 245
coupon collector
Old 02-03-2012, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Default

Ive only myself been on an ncl ship once bcl999 so yet to benefit from the regular perks (but hope to in the near future).

Food wise we only ever went to one of the paid restaurants (steak house) once. Food was a bit nicer (food in restaurants good, buffet not so good but buffet do a good breakfast) but service was rubbish.

Drinks are expensive on board but if like me your not a big drinker just get a soda refill card it gets you unlimited soda drinks for something like $5 a day. You can also empty your mini bar and put your own drinks in there.

Apart from spending a few quid in the casino and on one of those pictures the ships photographer takes we didn't really spend anything else on board.

There is however a slight tendency to persuade you to spend more once on board but it isn't pushy or in your face.

Also watch out for the tips added to your on board account everyday....Most people are dumb enough to think thess have to be paid but they can be removed at the end of the crusie and you can tip individually. We even tipped our cleaners who made amazing animals out of our towels lol
coupon collector is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to coupon collector For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 246
getmore4less
Old 02-03-2012, 6:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 19,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl999 View Post
I've never been on NCL. I spotted a TA on one of their ships for 231 sole occ inside guarantee (a mattress in the engine room at that price maybe) on VivaVoyage (they charge a booking fe of 39 which needs to be added) last weekend. 11 nights from Miami to Barcelona, if I remember, right, depart 14 April or thereabouts. I'm happy with the deal I got on Weds with MSC.

I know it's difficult to say but would you still rate NCL if you weren't a regular with the benefits? Things I've read make them sound like they charge you to blow your nose once on board.
Actualy they have reduced the hard sell a lot, but the costs are no more than any other cruise line except those that include stuff.

The extras we get are speciality meal, laundry and cocktail parties, embarkation wine priority for some things and concierge.

Sometimes a bit more, the odd free drink from officers etc. if we are remembered but you get that on a lot of ships if you use them regulalry and are friendly to the staff.

We like the choices of eating and the freestyle dinning but that is available on most ships now.

Suite perks are very good but at a price.

The Jade is a very friendly ship and at these prices we get very good value for money.

I think we need to have a good look at MSC they are offering some great cruise prices.
getmore4less is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 247
coupon collector
Old 02-03-2012, 6:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Default

thanks gm4ljust to clarify for others its 599 on msc official site the link below gets you to the 499 deal quicker if your a bit lazy like me and dont read posts properly lol

http://search.cruiseclubuk.com/fusion/detailcruise3.pl?sessionkey=FA372A55~6225s4E88-9C00-DE07387BB238&chosencruise=218_0.0&cid=470457&depai r=CO[/URL]

Last edited by coupon collector; 02-03-2012 at 6:14 PM.
coupon collector is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 248
getmore4less
Old 03-03-2012, 8:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 19,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmore4less View Post
NCL jade price drops for March April 9n canaries trips

7 March start at 280. solo 388
Can't believe this they dropped again

Now from 236
getmore4less is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 249
bcl999
Old 03-03-2012, 8:59 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupon collector View Post
thanks gm4ljust to clarify for others its 599 on msc official site the link below gets you to the 499 deal quicker if your a bit lazy like me and dont read posts properly lol

http://search.cruiseclubuk.com/fusion/detailcruise3.pl?sessionkey=FA372A55~6225s4E88-9C00-DE07387BB238&chosencruise=218_0.0&cid=470457&depai r=CO[/URL]
Your link returns "Address not valid" for me.
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 250
bcl999
Old 03-03-2012, 9:07 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggitt View Post
They all do though.
In my (limited) experience, I've found that's not so. Cunard, for example, let you take as much of your own alcohol on board as you can carry! That's their official policy and there's no need to "smuggle" it on board or any chance it being impounded till the last day. If you want to take a bottle of your own wine in to Britannia, they do charge corkage but no problem with taking it in a glass. You can get coffee 24 hours - admitted you have to pay for cappucino but if you order in the restaurant at a meal, they don't charge.

Last edited by bcl999; 03-03-2012 at 9:25 AM.
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 251
bcl999
Old 03-03-2012, 9:14 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmore4less View Post
OK another one,
11 March, MSC 20days fly cruise 499.
http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Cr...S&ship_code=LI


This time cruiseclubUk get the credit for first eamil at the 499 price.

on line email flyer
http://www.cruiseclubuk.com/eshots/e...ter2march.html
Now, why didn't I find that one? I've been watching it on MSC site. It only came down to 599 in the past week or so (and it's cruise-only on their site). Also, they were still applying 50% sole supplement so I didn't consider it. I wonder wnat the agent's solo price is?

Last edited by bcl999; 03-03-2012 at 9:18 AM.
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 252
bcl999
Old 03-03-2012, 9:17 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmore4less View Post
Actualy they have reduced the hard sell a lot, but the costs are no more than any other cruise line except those that include stuff.

The extras we get are speciality meal, laundry and cocktail parties, embarkation wine priority for some things and concierge.

Sometimes a bit more, the odd free drink from officers etc. if we are remembered but you get that on a lot of ships if you use them regulalry and are friendly to the staff.

We like the choices of eating and the freestyle dinning but that is available on most ships now.

Suite perks are very good but at a price.

The Jade is a very friendly ship and at these prices we get very good value for money.

I think we need to have a good look at MSC they are offering some great cruise prices.
I found the laundry perk on MSC very useful but now it is only 30% discount instead of XX number of items free.

Being a solo traveller, I don't think freestyle dining would be best option for me so that is not something which would attract me to NCL.
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 253
prosaver
Old 03-03-2012, 9:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: uk
Posts: 1,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacouch View Post
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=975_1283799588 Random cruise ship hits a storm
i can imagine harry hill saying..
captain ..right i want everyone to move this furniture over to the left of the room..
oh i mean right
right, lets have a look ..oh, put it to the left
beans
prosaver is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 254
bcl999
Old 03-03-2012, 9:34 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmore4less View Post
I think we need to have a good look at MSC they are offering some great cruise prices.
Before considering them, you need to acknowledge that, generally speaking, Italians cannot organise a p**s-up in a brewery. ( Personally, I don't think it's simply coincidence that the cargo ship which ran aground off Devon/Cornwall a few years ago was MSC and that the Concordia and the Allegra are both Costa.)

Also, some of their pursers seem tospeak only one word of English (and that is "No").

Additionally, unless you like smaller old-fashioned ships, don't use the Melody - it's time she was retired.

Last edited by bcl999; 03-03-2012 at 9:36 AM.
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to bcl999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 255
getmore4less
Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 19,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl999 View Post
Being a solo traveller, I don't think freestyle dining would be best option for me so that is not something which would attract me to NCL.
Thats one area NCL could improve, better solos dinner sharing tables
they have solo meets so you can try to get together with others

Main dining you can request to share so not an issue.
getmore4less is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 256
getmore4less
Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 19,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl999 View Post
Before considering them, you need to acknowledge that, generally speaking, Italians cannot.
WE did Costa Magica last year ao have an idea what we would be in for.

We actualy found it much better than expected, most people were quite social if you tried even though we do not so italian and many don't speak a lot of English.

We had indian waiters so were OK. but alos most of the crew spoke better italian than english.
getmore4less is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 257
getmore4less
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 19,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl999 View Post
Now, why didn't I find that one? I've been watching it on MSC site. It only came down to 599 in the past week or so (and it's cruise-only on their site). Also, they were still applying 50% sole supplement so I didn't consider it. I wonder wnat the agent's solo price is?
Cruise only with cruiseclubuk is 189 so even at 100% thats 699 with flight, they also do it from Dubai on the 10th for the same price.

Might even find a cheaper flight

(can't get a link to work without session keys)

search lirica march finds them
http://search.cruiseclubuk.com/homepage.phtml
getmore4less is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 258
bcl999
Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmore4less View Post
Cruise only with cruiseclubuk is 189 so even at 100% thats 699 with flight, they also do it from Dubai on the 10th for the same price.

Might even find a cheaper flight

(can't get a link to work without session keys)

search lirica march finds them
http://search.cruiseclubuk.com/homepage.phtml
Don't tell me anymore, you sadist!!!

You know I am already booked for a TA on 17th. Just yesterday I booked all my flights and hotels.

(I have resgitered for the cruiseclub e-mail now.)

Last edited by bcl999; 03-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 259
bcl999
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmore4less View Post
WE did Costa Magica last year ao have an idea what we would be in for.

We actualy found it much better than expected, most people were quite social if you tried even though we do not so italian and many don't speak a lot of English.

We had indian waiters so were OK. but alos most of the crew spoke better italian than english.
You'll have agood idea then. I don't think there will be much difference though not actually doen Costa myself. The latest Allegra cruise was on my watch-list but they wanted 50% sole supplement right up to the last minute. I had a narrow escape there. Sleeping on the deck under the stars in the Indian Ocean sounds so romantic but the non-working loos not so. I think I'll start a survey - "Should ships still have "poop" decks built-on?"
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 260
bcl999
Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmore4less View Post
Thats one area NCL could improve, better solos dinner sharing tables
they have solo meets so you can try to get together with others

Main dining you can request to share so not an issue.
Yes, i understood that, Just their marketing makes much of the Freestyle feature and it's not a + for me.
bcl999 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
Reply

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 17 December 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
  • Homes in Council Tax bands H and I will be included in the new Flood Re insurance scheme from next year, the Govt has announced today
  • Want to eat out for £5ish? Of course you do, full details in our Deals Hunters blog: http://t.co/OwyziST0dr #dealshunters
  • RT @MSE_Deals: Get £20 off when you spend £100 or more on technology or home electricals at Tesco Direct with online code. Ends Sun http://?