Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Blinkbox feedback discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Blinkbox feedback discussion
Views: 33,849
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Former MSE Becca
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Former Tech Writer / Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Blinkbox feedback discussion

This thread is specifically to discuss feedback for

Blinkbox (Link)

If you've streamed online movies or TV with Blinkbox, we'd love to know how it was for you, so we can improve the guide. Click reply to leave your feedback.

Please note, any posts that include individual referral links will be removed by the Forum Team when reported. Please keep this forum thread for just discussing online movie streaming services.

To read about online movie streaming in general, read the main
Watch Movies Online guide

Thanks for your help,
MSE Becca

Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 08-02-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
stevehaley
Old 22-02-2012, 1:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Blink box and samsung

Beware at the moment binkbox does NOT work with some samsung tvs. You cannot pause ff or rewind which means if the film glitches you have to watch from the beginning. Try a free tv episode before you rent a film. This has been going on two months now with no resolution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevehaley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Monkeyboy99
Old 23-02-2012, 6:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have a newish Samsung TV and as we don't watch many films I thought Blinkbox would be the best option, it worked a dream, could FF, Rewind and pause from the TV remote.

I paid £3.49 for a new release but I have now bought with Tesco vouchers some 3 rentals for £2 worth of points! There is a limited amount (238 as I write)

I havn't tried it yet but got the codes, mine expire on 20 Aug but could not see when they expired on the site.

Unable to post link as site wont let me, just search Tesco Clubcard Rewards.

Enjoy your films.

Last edited by Monkeyboy99; 23-02-2012 at 6:42 PM. Reason: Incorrect spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeyboy99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Niowrtt
Old 18-03-2012, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehaley View Post
Beware at the moment binkbox does NOT work with some samsung tvs.
An update on this - I was trying to check the status of this problem on the blinkbox website and found that the issues had not been updated or marked as resolved, but deleted! The information currently exists only as ghosts in Google's cache. The same search brought me here.

So I checked and am currently watching a film, pausing, rewinding and fast forwarding without any problems. So it seems that this has been quietly resolved without the need for a firmware update or download.

I am thankful that this has been resolved as I was beginning to think that I'd wasted a £50 voucher. However I'm not all that happy with how blinkbox have 'disappeared' the issue and how it took some 3 months to resolve.
# 5
FatherMcCree
Old 29-03-2012, 1:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niowrtt View Post
An update on this - I was trying to check the status of this problem on the blinkbox website and found that the issues had not been updated or marked as resolved, but deleted! The information currently exists only as ghosts in Google's cache. The same search brought me here.

So I checked and am currently watching a film, pausing, rewinding and fast forwarding without any problems. So it seems that this has been quietly resolved without the need for a firmware update or download.

I am thankful that this has been resolved as I was beginning to think that I'd wasted a £50 voucher. However I'm not all that happy with how blinkbox have 'disappeared' the issue and how it took some 3 months to resolve.
Hi

I'd be interested to know (a) which Samsung TV model you have and (b) whether you have continued to use the blinkbox service without any issues. Like you, I have a £50 voucher burning a hole in my pocket, and I've already experienced the well-documented problems with the blinkbox app failing. I have a D6530.

I also had noticed that the thread on the blinkbox website had mysteriously vanished, and I was encouraged by your experience of what appears to be a resolution to the issue, albeit on the quiet. However, before I endure the frustration of not being able to see the end of a rented feature film yet again, I'd like some reassurance that it's working OK. To this end, I submitted a question to the blinkbox support desk, and received the reply that the problem has not yet been resolved.

So, I'm curious to know whether, in your experience, the behaviour you observed previously (e.g. application crashing after about an hour of viewing, failure to reliably fast forward or rewind) is no longer apparent at all - or are you still seeing the odd glitch?

Thanks
# 6
I luv cats
Old 09-04-2012, 6:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default First time - very good.

I streamed Contagion for 99p and the playback (netbook to tv) was flawless

Blinkbox
compliments inclusive streaming services like Netfix as I can view something recently released for 99p with their special code. (Mondays? and this Easter weekend)

Some of the offer titles
(older ones) are already inclusive with a Netflix etc. subscription so you need to check first.

I would have watched Johnny English Reborn had I not already seen it.

Shame nothing else took my fancy out of the 20+ on offer.

The Following User Says Thank You to I luv cats For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
empressemma
Old 14-04-2012, 3:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a blinkbox/xbox query...

We successfully watched contagion via the xbox last weekend (although had to buy it on the website for it to appear on the xbox-blinkbox video library.

However, I can't seem to see how to watch any of the free films via the xbox.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!
# 8
intgom
Old 19-05-2012, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Blinkbox and Samsung have NOT fixed the fast forward / connection error problem, certainly not for me.

I have been complaining to Blinkbox for about 6 months about this but all they do is blame Samsung. Interestingly, Samsung are silent on the matter so it's anyone guess where the problem lies (Blinkbox say it's the way that Smarthub uses Flash).

I can usually watch a movie from beginning to end if I do not pause, rewind or fast forward. If I pause, it sometimes continues playback but if it crashes out with a connection error then I am almost always unable to fast forward without constant connection errors.

The frustrating part is that Blinkbox seems to offer the best selection of instantly watchable movies and their PC browser-based interface is pretty good too.

Perhaps on-demand movies on TV is still an immature technology.

# 9
tyllwyd
Old 21-05-2012, 2:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

We've been watching blinkbox through an Xbox 360 for a month or so now, and I'm pretty pleased with it overall. We struggle find time to watch lots of movies, so the pay as you go set up works OK for us. Quality seems OK - probably not as good as a dvd on our set up but good enough that it's not an issue.

It is fiddly having to order the films online before you can watch them on your xbox, and annoying that the free stuff doesn't appear on the xbox. The other irritation is that I haven't found a way to select more than one film and then pay for them all in one go - at the moment I'm checking them out one at a time which is a bit of a pain!

The best feature is the 99p movie mondays - they offer a different selection of 12 or so films every Monday. You have to order them on Monday with the code, but you have 30 days to start watching the films, and they seem to include one or two recent films so it is worth doing. (BTW today (Monday 21st) they've got a Sci Fi selection.)

Last edited by tyllwyd; 21-05-2012 at 3:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tyllwyd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
rogercr
Old 16-06-2012, 6:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Blinkbox certainly blinks

[QUOTE=MSE Becca;50855183]

This thread is specifically to discuss feedback for

My attention to BLINKBOX was drawn to me by constant blinkbox updates each time I turn my Samson TV to the internet. I normally watch Lovefilm without problem but on this occasion tried a free film on Blinkbox. My link to blinkbox crashed about 6 or 7 times during watching the film and on all but one occasion the film played from the start. I was able to fast forward so I did eventually finish the film. It seems these problems have been going on for several months according to the forums and so I wont presently be subscribing to the network. It's a shame these constant uppdates are having no effect!
# 11
anpease007
Old 21-06-2012, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

You may have the same problem as me. My Blinkbox goes into update mode everytime I go on to internet tv on my Samsung tv, but everytime the update fails, I get a quick error message flashing on the screen but it's gone before I can read it, then I can only click on "ok", so the update isn't actually happening.
This is then a never ending cycle.
# 12
Rosie1980
Old 16-07-2012, 3:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I also have been trying to watch Blinkbox films through a Samsung TV and the first few I watched were a dream but my daughter wanted to watch one of the free films and it just keeps cutting out midway through and you can't restart or forward through it so we started it over again only to find the same thing happened. Also the last paid film I watched I ended up having to download to my computer as it was buffering and pausing it made no difference. The user interface on Blinkbox is no where near as smooth and easy to use as Lovefilm, but then you pay less for the service.
# 13
mum26
Old 16-07-2012, 8:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We were going to watch a Blinkbox movie last night (we have 3 rental codes we got using up the last few £ of clubcard points) until I noticed there are no subtitles!

How backward?! I am moderately deaf so I rely on them.
# 14
blinkbox company representative
Old 23-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Has MSE’s permission to post for company
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Rosie,

Its Dan from blinkbox - Is this still happening, many apologies.
Best Wishes

Dan
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of blinkbox. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
# 15
tyllwyd
Old 10-08-2012, 2:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I'm finding the search function on blinkbox quite frustrating. My DD has suddenly become obsessed with watching anime (japanese animation), so I had a look to see if there is any available on blinkbox. I couldn't find any at first, but I've just realised (through a google search) that there is an anime network called Gong which provides some shows through blinkbox. Its a shame that a search on 'anime' doesn't bring up any suggestions, or that anime doesn't appear as a category in the sidebar at all.
# 16
K8P
Old 18-10-2012, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Any news??

I have had my Samsung TV since June. I'm desperately waiting for the Blinkbox app to appear on my TV. Blinkbox said it was working on it, but no date. Samsung said the same then said that it was the App company's problem?? I have bought a few films for my son to watch on his PS3 but don't want to buy any more if I can't watch them on the TV (unless I connect my laptop)
It's so annoying not knowing when or if it will appear. Does anyone know anything else?
# 17
haggisinlondon
Old 09-11-2012, 8:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Blinkbox is still not available on my Smarthub, any ideas?
# 18
Kevin_P
Old 14-11-2012, 6:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi,
Does Blinkbox work on any other devices?
I'm thinking of getting a DLNA compliant Panasonic recorded / HD tuner and it appears to be able to run iplayer / netflix. But no mention of Blinkbox.

Kevin.
# 19
grintricha
Old 15-11-2012, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I like blinkbox but I have a good old fashioned computer connected to my TV, wish I'd seen the 3 films for £2 offer, would definitely do it

the picture quality is so much better than iplayer or 4od

I got an email saying as a loyal customer they have a present for me (I kid you not), give them my address and they'll send it to me, and like the freebie hussey that I am I gave them my address, am now intrigued what this present will be, but a 3 films for £2 of tescos vouchers would be fine.

we tried the free month with netflix but the content is just too old/rubbish to make it worth it (plus we don't watch many films just once in a while so don't want a subscription), same goes for love film so blinkbox seems just another milestone in the development of online (final nail in the coffin of the video shop though) and a natural next step

£3.49 for a film is ok value, but tv programmes seem pricey

all in all I'm very positive about it, but apologies if this thread was aimed at feedback about technical problems with smart TVs

Richard
# 20
grintricha
Old 15-11-2012, 8:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

oh and Dan from Blinkbox, make sure your company pays corporation tax on my purchases, I'll not buy from you if I find out you don't.