PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thought I had put the recipe up for Turkey Burgers (GF and DF) but I haven't so for your delectation this is what we had for dinner yesterday.

Chop 1 large onion up into small bits and fry it until lightly browned.

Put 700-800gm of turkey mince in a bowl with the zest of one lemon, 1tsp dried thyme (or 2tsp fresh). 1 tblsp dried parsley (or 2 tblsp fresh), onion and season to taste. Mix it all up together.

Take a piece of the mixture and roll and then flatten it between the palms of your hands in patties.

Put a little oil in a griddle pan and heat up and then put the patties in and turn the heat down and cook slowly, turning after 4-5 minutes.

Serve with chips or vegetable chips (Cut a seletion of carrots, parsnips & potatoes, depending what is in season, into large chips. No need to peel. Put in a baking tin and toss in a little olive oil, a good sprinkling of paprika and a little salt. Roast at 180deg C for 45-50 mins. Tossing frequently.)

Another variation of the burgers is to shape them and wrap bacon round them. Put in a baking tin and bake at 180deg C for 20-25 mins. Then pan fry for a few minutes each side to crisp the bacon.

All served with lashings of mayonaise or ketchup for dipping.

Dinner tonight was SC Chilli with rice and nachos, which is in the recipe index.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • lisakay_2
    lisakay_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    Well, I thought I was doing well. fab started on 25th jan for us and have managed 10 NSD since then. unfortunately the 3 days I have spent, I spent too much:o. spent £61 in as*a on thurs and a whole £3 in the coop on reduced bread on sat. This leaves me with £73 to last until 25th. I'm hoping I can pull it off, as I'm fully stocked up on the expensive stuff and basics(washing powder, loo rolls, pet food, bread, meat, milk) and next week is half term, so I wont need all the butty box stuff for the squids until the following week.
    It should just be fresh fruit and veg, not even we can eat £73 worth of fruit and veg in 3 weeks!!

sending love to everyone, but especially those who've had bereavements. big hugs everyone x
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    I'm waiting for my children to go to sleep so I can go to bed myself, and while waiting i have just eaten three bakewell tarts!! Oops, supposed to be doing ww as well! Think I may need to sort out the fruit situation too, but not while I'm feeling like this - I do have a compulsion to eat carp when I'm ill, been known to have cheesy chips for breakfast, and also a roast once!

So cold, even though the heating is on, so I'm off to bed now, and I'll have to read while i'm waiting for them to go to sleep (I always like to tuck them up and check on them before i go to bed). Hm, maybe a giant cuppa or hot choc too?...

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Somehow its the 6th February and I haven't set a food budget for the month yet.

Had a home delivery shop on Sat. and spent over £180 :eek: this did include a bottle of brandy at £27.99 (a belated xmas present) :eek::eek::eek: plus the usual delivery charge at £6 :(

Despite this, I still managed to go to m&$ on the way home from work today and spend nearly £30 on a curry ready meal for tea (£15) plus two packs of toffee popcorn (£1.80) - two chocolate sundaes (£2.60) and a three for £10 deal on breaded chicken/fish. Despite the MASSIVE shop from Mr T on Saturday, I didn't seem to have anything that could be thrown in the oven and cooked.

In my defence, I have been ill and have had no appetite (which is most annoying), but I am determined to eat more healthily (including getting back on the slimming world wagon) and I must start meal planning and only shopping after I have meal planned which is something I never seem to do.
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    spend of £7.26 in co*p today
    Trying to keep myself busy as ds1 went travelling today. Know he has arrived in usa waiting for call to let me know he has found his connecting flight to Costa Rica - I hate not being there to help
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    FrugalLina wrote: »
    Did he manage to get away OK, I saw some flights were disrupted?

Ahh, Thanks for asking.
    Yes his flight left Heathrow this morning and he has landed in usa - just waiting for message to let me know he has managed to find his next flight!- It's his first time flying alone and I'm sure he'll be fine but I do worry:o
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    mummyjane wrote: »
    Thank you Vicky, it isn't a serious condition although the doctor told dh it is likely to be caused by stress. It is just his right side of face that is affected but his speech is affected as is his sense of taste plus he has a terrible headache with it. Dh is so anxious about his op plus work is very stressful at the moment. He has been put on steroids so hopefully they will help. It never rains does it! I am very blessed to have such a wonderful husband I just wish he could be fit and well poor love xx

When I had it as a child, my Mum gave me a (not too) hot water bottle wrapped in muslin to put between my face and the pillow to sleep as this helped the affected nerve to relax. I remember having ear ache with it too.
    I know your DH has other health issues but two "old-fashioned" causes were a cold draught, causing the facial nerves to "catch a chill" and the good old cold-sore common herpes virus - so keeping up the cold-prevention remedies is good. Our very best wishes and hope it doesn't last too long
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Hi All. . .
    I feel as if i need to have someone to tell me off if i stray into the supermarket. . . below is a list of what is in the cupboards and freezer. . . and i live alone!
    So, slapped wrists if i go anywhre near a SM please! and also - ideas on meals i would love as i have gotten myself in to a rut.

Freezer contents:
    · 250g Mince Beef x3
    · 400g Mince Lamb
    · 500g Mince Pork
    · 500g Mince Turkey
    · Salmon Fillet x4
    · 4 Rashers Bacon x5
    · Pork Chop x7
    · Beef Steak x5
    · 2pk Sausages x10
    · Gammon Steak x4
    · Turkey Steak x2
    · Chicken Fillet x5
    · Beef Burger
    · Cooked Beef x6 (sandwiches)
    · Cooked Chicken
    · Cooked Ham x7
    · 125g Smoked Salmon
    · Meatballs (raw) x4
    · Mackeral

· HM chilli x4
    · Peshwari Naan 4pk
    · Chick & Mush Slicex2
    · Sausage Roll 2pk x2
    · Puff Pastry Block x2
    · Beef & Onion Pie x3
    · Chick & Mush Pie
    · Bacon/Tom Quiche
    · Rolled Puff Pastry x2
    · Rolled Short Pastry x3
    · Veggie Fingers 10pk x2
    · Turkey Escalope x2
    · Chicken Goujons x2
    · Chips
    · Sliced Peppers
    · Sliced Mushrooms
    · Broccoli
    · Roasted Veg
    · 250g Grated Cheese
    · Garlic Bread x2
    · Savoury Eggs x2
    · Pepperoni Pizza x2
    · Mozzarella Pizza x2
    · Meatballs x2
    · Bubble & Squeak x2
    · Hot Cross Buns
    · Ham Quiche x2
    · Chicken in Pastry x2
    · Curly Fries
    · Hash Browns

Oops. . . may post the cupboards list soon, but its all rather embarresing!

SS x
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
  • tigerfeet2006
    This is what I made my eldest for his birthday cake.

Preheat oven to 180deg C. Grease and line a loose bottom cake tin.

Put 150gm chocolate chunks (70% solids) and 110gms margarine (for DF use something like Pure or a lot of baking marg's are DF.) in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.

When melted together add 125gms unrefined golden caster sugar and stir until melted in.

Remove the bowl from heat and add 4 egg yolks, 50gms Dove's GF plain flour, 1tsp GF baking powder and 1tsp vanilla essence and mix together.

Beat the 4 egg whites until stiff and slowly fold it into the chocolate mixture. Be very gentle.

Pour into the cake tin and bake for 50mins. Use a skewer to check it is cooked through if not put it in for a further 5 mins or so.

Leave to cool for 5mins or so before turning out.

Serve warm with red berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries etc.) and cream. Or cold with a chocolate ganache (dark or white)

This is absolutely scrummy and you wouldn't know it was GF and DF.
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    Seductive Smile, why not try the turkey burgers I posted a little down thread :)

If you don't use all the mince mixture for the burgers then make into meatbals and fry off in a pan. Chuck in some garlic, tin of chopped tomatoes, squidge of tomato puree, herbs (I like dry coriander leaf or fresh if I have it), salt and pepper. Have a taste and if it is too sharp then add a little sugar. Serve with spaghetti.

Have a peruse of the recipe index at the beginning of this thread, there are tons of great ideas.
    BSCno.87
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills