January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• lifebeginsagain
    lifebeginsagain Posts: 71 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2012 at 11:05AM
    Hi folks,

I too have been away for a while but this year am getting back on track in order to get some good savings behind me and also pay for a family holiday abroad.

I am doing a couple of other challenges but I also really need to reduce my grocery bill (this includes cleaning and toiletries). I estimate that I probably spend £450 - £500 a month at the moment on 2 adults and 2 children (5 & 8yrs).

I would like to reduce this to £400 a month or even less if possible. My month runs 24th - 24th so Jan budget will run from 24th Jan to 24th Feb.
    Finally Debt Free - April 2009
    2012 Challenge £2012 +/ £2012 - Did it:j
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Lasts night dinner was a big success. It also makes a pack of sausage stretch further.

I browned a pack of sausages in a pan ( I used Tesco own Free From). Whipped them out of the pan and put 250gm of chopped bacon in the pan, stirring occasionally ( I used MrT value cooking bacon at 99p for 500gm). Chopped the sausages into quarters and bunged them in the slow cooker. Bunged the bacon in the SC. Browned off a large chopped onion in the pan, with a couple of cloves of chopped garlic and popped it into the SC. Then I added 2 tins of chopped tomatoes (MrT value 38p) and a tin of kidney beans ( MrT value 48p). Half pint of veg stock ( I use Bisto Best or HM stock) and 2 tblsp of mixed herbs.

This was done at midday and put on low and we ate at six o'clock. I served this with baked potatoes from my big sack (£7 for the sack) but
    have also done crusty bread with it or new potatoes and some extra veg.

So depending on the cost of your sausages this can come in at under £5.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK ALL LABELS AS WHAT IS GF OR DF AT THE MOMENT CAN CHANGE IN THE FUTURE.

It served us five plus a portion for the freezer.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Anyone got any good ideas to share for weekend treats? Will share what we just had as our Sunday morning treat. Not very healthy but yummy!
    Pack of A*di sausages cooked in oven and split...95p
    Half pack of A*di cheese slices 35p
    Pack of A*ldi new toasting muffins 47p
    Bit of ketchup 10p ish
    = Just like a Mc D's breakfast for under £2 for 4 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very bad for you but a lovely treat. I do quite enjoy "cloning" takeaway food. Does anyone else?
  • Fiasco55 wrote: »
    I'm just back from Mr T with a stark reminder of why I never shop there anymore :mad:. Got my flavoured water - 4 bottles. There was an "offer" on buy 2 bottles for £1.80 or 99p each. The offer didn't go through and only noticed when checking my receipt on the way back to the car. I headed straight back in to cs to be told that it was closed and to go to a till.

Get to the till and the assistant starts sounding off about her having to do the work of cs. She is annoyed that she has to get up and go and look at the SEL. She returns and scans through a refund for 36p. I then point out DTD to which I am told this does not exist. I argue that it is and it is current policy under "our promise". She then calls another assistant over who says that the DTD promotion finished last year. Again I state this is not to be confused with the huge DTD promotion last year this is just the wrongly charged policy. I hit a wall and ask to speak to a manager. Both assistants say that he won't help me as there is no such promotion.

So I am now over at the CS desk again and after a wait the manager turns up. Denies the DTD policy exists - I point it out on the wall. He then says he can't access the tills. I highlight the amount again and he pulls a pound coin out of his pocket and says just take it from me as its just such a small amount :mad::mad::mad:. Talk about belittling the issue for me!

I refused and stated that this is policy I am only claiming what I am entitled to as stated on the CS wall. I want this to go through the till and to train all staff that this is what should happen. He then oddly enough can access this till and refunds DTD. I was left feeling belittled and an inconvenient, time waster. I spent the drive home in a total rant to my long suffering friend (who witnessed all of this).
    Anyway total spend £5.38 in cash, total cost to my blood pressure ???

:eek: :eek:The Mr T's Head Office should hear about this - it has nothing to do with Customer Service. If you want to write to them the address is T Stores Ltd,New T House, Delamare Road, Cheshunt, Herts, EN8 9SL and address it to the Director for Customer Service being specific about the store you used. They will take this feedback very seriously and after a massive share price fall due to reduced sales over Xmas I am sure you will get some form of formal apology. Maybe even some compensation (they used to). What a horrible experience.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • ive gone over again :( if im honest i know alot of it is on junk food - hopefully it will be easier when baby comes - im in limbo at the moment waiting for him to arrive
    Learning to keep within budgets !

:money:
  • T*sco are hilarious. Not long ago their director was being interviewed on tv about their falling profits and was saying he couldn't understand why there price drop campaign wasn't successful. Err try reducing the price of products people actually need! Times are hard. I live across the road from Tescos so have to use it for bread and milk etc but it drives me insane. An item can be a certain price one day and totally different the next and I'm not talking about goods on special offer. It makes deciding what to buy from where very difficult. At least A*di prices tend to be fairly consistant. Sorry rant over! My husband gets very bored with me talking about food shopping!
  • Anyone got any good ideas to share for weekend treats? Will share what we just had as our Sunday morning treat. Not very healthy but yummy!
    Pack of A*di sausages cooked in oven and split...95p
    Half pack of A*di cheese slices 35p
    Pack of A*ldi new toasting muffins 47p
    Bit of ketchup 10p ish
    = Just like a Mc D's breakfast for under £2 for 4 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very bad for you but a lovely treat. I do quite enjoy "cloning" takeaway food. Does anyone else?

French toast?
    beaten egg with dash of milk or cream - soak a slice of bread (both sides) and fry in a little butter - about 4-5 minutes per side so it starts to go brown. Serve sprinkled with (icing or caster) sugar or with some maple syrup or jam. Yum
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the advice on Mr T's. I am going to write to them and see what responce I get. Even after sleeping on it I am still :mad: about the £1 "offer".

I am going to HB to pick up a few things for the store cupboard. Then I am off to the cinema :D.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Talking about cloning food ..does anyone have any idea how to make a cheaper version of Chocolate ready brek????...Its the only thing my 5 year old boy will eat for brekkie and supper...hes getting through almost 2 boxes a week and its £1.79 a box in MrMs:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 January 2012 at 1:53PM
    mummyyof5 wrote: »
    Talking about cloning food ..does anyone have any idea how to make a cheaper version of Chocolate ready brek????...Its the only thing my 5 year old boy will eat for brekkie and supper...hes getting through almost 2 boxes a week and its £1.79 a box in MrMs:eek::eek::eek::eek:

we use tesco ready brek and add sum t.value chocolate spread my daughter loves it :D hth

hot oat cereal 750g box £1.59
    value choc spread 600g £1.32

also just noticed choc ready brek is goin on offer at 1.50 at mr t's for a 500g box :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure