January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    bupster wrote: »
    I bought some pecans and some chopped dates. Anyone got any ideas?

How about using the fruit & nuts in a loaf.
    Basic Bread - 500g Loaf
    306g of warm water (can be fairly warm but to hot and it will kill the yeast)
    500g Strong White Bread Flour
    10g salt
    6g Dried Yeast
    (For a fruit loaf add sultans or raisins, nuts or any other dried fruit,
    don’t add too many or the loaf may not rise well and be too heavy).

Date and Pecan Brownies
    Date, Pecan & Ginger Cookies
    Sweet Date & Pecan Tart
    Date & (or) Pecan Muffins
    Date & Pecan Flap Jacks
    Sweet Mincemeat

Date Pecan Balls
    2 cups of raw pecans
    1 and 1/2 cups of dates
    Spring or filtered water
    Soak pecans and dates for 1-2 hours in water.
    Drain well, blend together in a processor / blender until it turns into a coarse paste.
    Use your hands to form paste into bite-size balls.
    (keep for up to three days in the fridge).
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • £84.46 on a Mr T delivery this morn, arrived 1 min after the start of the delivery slot and no substitutions, really impressed.

I've taken the £9.79 for OH's razor blades off my total though- I don't mind including normal toiletries, but these distort the total so much. I know that's probably just cheating myself but it makes me feel better :p
    Future hopes, dreams & emergencies fund: £4,000
    No. Internet. Shopping.
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 12 January 2012 at 10:39AM
    Small spend of £1 in Mr S getting some noodles to report today. I'm having Prawns, Pak Choi, Spring Onions and noodles in a hoisin and oyster sauce tonight - a kind of Vietnamese 'soup'.

Blo*dy bagels from the freezer (the last ones!) again for lunch....

And yet again I forgot HANDWASH! I've been using shower gel as handwash in the bathroom for the last couple days since I've ran out! :rotfl:
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • kit77
    kit77 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Well didn't have the 3 NSD i wanted as needed to get things. Tuesday I got some things in FF at £4.10 then today needed bread £0.66.

I have discovered that Lidils is the cheapest for hovis bread and we have one next to our FF. FF do the 3 hovis loaves for £2.00 but we weren't using all that bread and I don't have enough space in the freezer to freeze it. OH popped into lidil the other week and noticed they sold Hovis for £0.66 so now I nip in there to get it.

Still got just over £100 to do till the 20th. will need to do a biggish shop tomorrow but still hoping to have some £ left at the end of the month.

Off to check the freezer to see what I food I have left.
    Feb 2012 Grocery Challenge £200/£4.00

Save 12K in 12 months - £12K/£250
  • morning guys hope every1 is well and hugs to those that need them :grouphug:
    just got home from work and stopped at mr t's on the way,had to get bread as i needed it for packup and am too tired to make any so bought bread and 2x t cornish pasties the frozen ones in a red box they are normally £1.00 but label said price cut 50p not sure if its store specific or all but thought id mention it,oh loves them so thought i would treat him so total spent £2.03 need to add to signature.:)
    and oh spent £1.20 i think last night on 2x bottles of coke so need to add that aswell.
    sorry cant remember who posted but am definatly going to try making scotch eggs sounds yummy.:D
    i think tea tonight will ever be egg on toast or soup-have about 30 tins i got for free :D:D so need to start using them up.
    my mams makes a lovely pastabake and uses a tin of chicken soup as the sauce i have mushroom,chicken and tomato a few of each so would save me buying, making a sauce.
    sounds daft but has any1 got any other ideas what i can use them for????
    thanks in advance hope evry1 has a good, am off to bed will be back later to see how every getting on :):):):)
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • morning guys hope every1 is well and hugs to those that need them :grouphug:
    just got home from work and stopped at mr t's on the way,had to get bread as i needed it for packup and am too tired to make any so bought bread and 2x t cornish pasties the frozen ones in a red box they are normally £1.00 but label said price cut 50p not sure if its store specific or all but thought id mention it,oh loves them so thought i would treat him so total spent £2.03 need to add to signature.:)
    and oh spent £1.20 i think last night on 2x bottles of coke so need to add that aswell.
    sorry cant remember who posted but am definatly going to try making scotch eggs sounds yummy.:D
    i think tea tonight will ever be egg on toast or soup-have about 30 tins i got for free :D:D so need to start using them up.
    my mams makes a lovely pastabake and uses a tin of chicken soup as the sauce i have mushroom,chicken and tomato a few of each so would save me buying, making a sauce.
    sounds daft but has any1 got any other ideas what i can use them for????
    thanks in advance hope evry1 has a good, am off to bed will be back later to see how every getting on :):):):)

I make a quorn & mushroom stroganoff with mushroom soup, you could easily replace the quorn with chicken. Just fry an onion, add the quorn/cooked chicken pieces plus the soup and some mushrooms and let them simmer for while, add freshly ground pepper to flavour. (I normally add some peas too).
    Jan GC £96.95/£120; NSD 26/31
    Feb GC £113.19/£120: NSD 24/29
    Mar GC £54.22/£150 NSD 10/12

2012 Aim - To clear credit cards in 2012
  • I make a quorn & mushroom stroganoff with mushroom soup, you could easily replace the quorn with chicken. Just fry an onion, add the quorn/cooked chicken pieces plus the soup and some mushrooms and let them simmer for while, add freshly ground pepper to flavour. (I normally add some peas too).

hi catwomen mmm that sounds nice ive got lots of chicken in freezer so will have ago thanks
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,666
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 12 January 2012 at 11:00AM
    EEK!! Have totted up latest spends and am £213.30 against my budget of £375!! ONly 1/3 of way through month, too....

Made a huge turkey curry with the last of the meat stripped from the carcass - managed to include a going-manky butternut squash and a good handful of lentils, so there was loads. It also used up the going-manky mushrooms and a carton of yogurt from the freezer (and half a tub of turkey stock) - not that my freezer's getting any emptier, it would seem...

Really need to minimise spends for the next week or so to catch up with myself. Off to make a banana and jam steamed sponge for pudding tonight :) - uses a couple of bananas from teh freezer :D:D

ETA: almost forgot - as well as getting a Kenwood for Xmas (lovely DH) I've now got a brand new MR slow cooker - and it was free! I ahd to order some stuff from St@ples for DH for his business and it was a free gift with orders over £39 :):D Not used it yet, though...
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    kezlou wrote: »
    Thanks for the info on the cat food rising from the ashes.

I'll check it out. Normally i buy 24 tins for £10 from pets at home when i get the cat litter but OH went last time and they wasn't any large packs of wet food or cat litter.

I'll have a look in aldi this week and check the price for you.
    Only got one tin left myself, DS1 eats it constantly.

:eek::eek:Is DS1 being fed cat food?:eek::eek:
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Hi All - recording another spend (rats, rats, rats) I was determined not to spend again until next week but I had a £1.23 off my next shop coupon for Sainsbugs which expired tomorrow so I was determined to use it.

After wandering around the shop for ages looking for something useful in the reduced sections, couldn't find anything that would fit in with my diet/healthy eating regime, I ended up buying some smoked haddock and a bag of spinach which I will have for tea tonight. If I'm really good throughout the day I may even treat myself and put a poached egg on top :j.

So with the coupon off ended up spending £2.42.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure