January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Morning everyone! It is mad windy here today and I have to go out to the tip later so that will be fun (not)!!

Pennygrabber - That is a good price for the panny, however they have it on Very for £139.99 with the £20 cashback deal and you can probably get a code from the codes thread for up to 20% off if you are a new customer, plus go through quidco. That is what I did at the beginning of December and I got it for something like £80 after discounts and quidco. Well worth it though as it is the best kitchen machine I have ever had - I use it daily and haven't had anything other than a delicious loaf yet! We like the milk loaf the best and I also beat an egg into the milk and it makes a lovely, easy to cut, tasty loaf.

Savvymummy - I would blitz the crackers and use for breadcrumbs and for mixing with grated cheese to make toppings for bakes etc.

Hopefully will be a NSD today as I have a big curry that I made yesterday and some naan bread made in the breadmaker, and both DD's are going out for lunch. I will have some l/o corned beef with beans and jacket potato.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • The arrow is there on the regular forum listing as well. Just make sure you're always logged in so it can keep track of where you're up to.

Nice one LD, that is brilliant. Thank you x
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    :grin:
  • Can I join in too please! My aim is £150 for me, DH & 2 small people.

I've just spent £67 on my online shop which should last until the 17th at least - probably longer as DH is away from 17th-20th so less mouths to feed! I think DH spent some money yesterday on milk but I need to find the receipt!
    Feb 14 GC - £89.37/£300
  • Well, I was going to do my shopping today but the wind has put me off going out. Will do one of my cheapy staples - Lemony lentil pasta - as have all the ingredients in. All you need to do is finely chop one onion, dice a carrot and finely chop a garlic clove. Fry in a little oil until soft, then add a tin of chopped tomatoes, 100 g red lentils and 500-750 ml veg stock. Cook until lentils soft (add extra water if needed) and in the meantime, cook 150-200g pasta twirls. Add cooked pasta to lentils and you should have a thick pasta soup. Add a squeeze of lemon juice (or grate on some cheddar). Serves 4.

Sounds very frugal and basic, but it is yummy and kids love it too!
    January 2012 GC £296.96/£300
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone. Can you please put me down for £105 for January's challenge? I am planing on using up existing freezer and store cupboard items. I need to start saving up some more money and this seems like a sensible place to cut back.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • Hi Helen
    I'm moneysaver13 rather than moneysaver1b, budget correct at £150 though I will be shocked if I can keep to it!
    Many thanks
    GC 2012 April £0/£150
    March: £176.71/£150
    (payday 22nd) NSD 3/10
    Feb: £138.93/£150 NSD:11/10 :j
    Jan: £171.13/£150:(
    Nectar rewards: £18.55, Boots £13.82
    Sealed pot challenge 5 no 1602:
  • freyaluck
    freyaluck Posts: 465 Forumite
    New year new start and all that.
    My Budget until 30th Jan is £300 That is for 2 Adults and 4 children. The cupboards and freezers are full so it should be ok to stick to.
    BB
    FRey
    Saving for the future of the earth
  • Fellpony_2
    Fellpony_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2012 at 1:58PM
    Hi, I'm another newbie, (to this thread) loving reading up on the budgeting and the brilliant money saving recipes people so kindly share. I made the chilli recipe on here last night and oh boy was it good! Thank you very much!! We are currently seeing how much we spend in our first month, I shop on line usually but hubby likes a pop to Asd@ now and again and even though we took a list yesterday which should have only cost us max £15 we came out having picked up other things that we actually did need (and some we didn't need but "wanted") but the cost was £55, reduced to £45 as we had a £10 voucher for there after we put in a complaint about their voucher system a couple of months back. (Hubby was shopping on his own, got the trolley to the til and the assistant refused to accept the voucher for £5 off a £40 spend so he walked out and left the food on the side half packed! So brave! He's very quiet usually but was furious and after an email to their CS got landed with the afore mentioned voucher.)

ETA there are just two of us and two kittens in the house but I am expecting at the end of February so we're stocking up slightly with baby stuff to try and spread the cost.
    You never know how strong you are until you have no other option.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    cheekychipmunk, I've added your Lemony lentil pasta recipe to the front page list ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    Well as quick as i posted my new budget ive been and spent a third of it at tesco. Back on slimming world (had a couple of weeks off at christmas). Spent £52 but bought chicken, salmon, lf sausages, extra lean mince and loads fruit and veg. I feel like ive done really well. Nipping co op late to get some of the low fat cheese thats on offer so will be approx £60.00 spent. Meal plan done for the next 2 weeks and the only thing i need to but are potatoes but decided not to buy them yet as I dont need them til friday. Plenty of breakfast and lunch stuff stocked up as well.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport