New Post Advanced Search

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.3K views

Replies

• rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Can I go for £250 again please.

I have lots of meat in the freezer but need some essentials like olive oil, big sack of onions, bulk loo roll etc etc.

No spend so far and should manage til thurs on the fresh f&v we have in
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    SavvyMummy wrote: »
    I have an unopened pack of out of date cream crackers, that I found lurking in the back of the cupboard:o, any ideas, what to do with these. Shame to bin them, when there`s no need to.

BBF or Use By?
    If a BBF and they are crisp no problem, if soft how about crushing up and using as a topping for a pie etc. or as a crumb for something like Scotch Eggs.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    morning all, nsd today how windy is it outside?

kids are having leftover stew for lunch, by the time it came to eating it lats night i didn't want it so at about 9 me and hubby had beans on toast with a fried egg, after i fought with myself about maybe buying a chippy but it's a new year and a smaller budget so i'm limiting us to 1 a month and we had one on NYE so none now til the end of the month :) gonna make hm mince pie, mash and mixed veg for tea
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • Meadows wrote: »
    BBF or Use By?
    If a BBF and they are crisp no problem, if soft how about crushing up and using as a topping for a pie etc. or as a crumb for something like Scotch Eggs.

Hi Meadows, thanks for the reply, best before 17 Dec. So not too old, trouble is, once my lot have opened the packet, eaten a couple, the packets get forgotten, but will try and remember the topping for a pie.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • greentgreent Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all. Just jumping in to say please can I rejoin with a budget of £375 for January :) I haven't read any of the thread yet - my laptop's died, so I need to get a new one (it's terminal :() so am quickly jumping on someone else's to post this. Have made a couple of small spends - will add recipts and adjust signature later

I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £4980/6K
    Net sales 2020 £540.84/£500 Decluttering: 1520/2020
  • SueP19SueP19 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, that's how I keep track too .....:)

Me too :D It's easy to find and makes sure you don't miss anything
    Mort Oct 15 [STRIKE]£70,353[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66,422[/STRIKE] £58,804 MF [STRIKE]Dec 31[/STRIKE] Jun 31([STRIKE]191[/STRIKE] 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt [STRIKE]May 09 £30,217[/STRIKE][STRIKE]Oct 17 £14,093[/STRIKE]Nov 18 £6,336.12[/B]
  • Going to have a NSD today, have raided cupboards and found a lonesome tin of corned beef so we're having meat and potato pie for tea :)

So much for the wind hitting just the north of the UK, down here (south) it is bloomin awful! We are right on the coast though maybe that's why. Hope everyone stays safe wherever they are today x
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan £462.44/£400
    Feb £210.10/£450, 2/10 NSDs
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    SavvyMummy wrote: »
    Hi Meadows, thanks for the reply, best before 17 Dec. So not too old, trouble is, once my lot have opened the packet, eaten a couple, the packets get forgotten, but will try and remember the topping for a pie.

Date not an issue then.

Stick the cheese board on the table after a meal to remind them :).

I use a cracker tin (these days we tend to use water biscuits rather than crackers, thin, crisp and yummy) and find this keeps cracker crisp and dry for a long long time. Remove all packaging and place in a tin with a tight fit lid (wouldn't use one too big, wouldn't use a plastic box either).

If you can not get a long tin try these: https://www.ryvita.co.uk/shop

contentImage_repeated_1.jpg
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Morning all

Budgets done to here

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Morning all

Could I ask you all please to check that I have spelt your name correctly and that I given you the correct amount for your budget - I ask as I have realised that there are a couple of "oldies" posting and I haven't given them a budget - entirely my fault as I've probably missed their post!! Please only let me know if I have you wrong as the amount of posts with figures on them is getting mind boggling lol

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j