Real life MMD: Should my son pay for the t-shirt?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 2 August 2011 at 3:37PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should my son pay for the t-shirt?ment?

My teenage son was playing rugby with a few friends in the local park, when he tackled his friend and ripped his newish t-shirt! This lad has texted and phoned my son numerous times, asking him to pay full price (£25) for this top. This wasn't done maliciously, and was part of the game - the other boy should have thought twice before wearing his pricey top. If this happened the other way round, I would have said to my son "tough".
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• euterpe13
    euterpe13 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Absolutely not - if my son had come home with a ripped shirt after playing rugby, I would have said "more silly you to wear it", patched it up & got on with real life problems. Trouble is, the boy harassing your son is a product of the " complaint & compensation" culture. If things do not sort themselves out, suggest you quietly contact the other boy's mother.
  • FATBALLZ
    FATBALLZ Posts: 5,146 Forumite
    Agree with the above. Stuff gets ruined playing sports, so more fool you if you wear your best clobber while you're doing it.
  • emidee
    emidee Posts: 71
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No - the friend shouldn't have played a contact sport whilst wearing something expensive. Your son shouldn't pay.
  • I think we are all in agreement. You and your son should not pay for the T-Shirt. No brainer really.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    no he should not pay but he could chip a bit in as a a goodwill gesture
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • stupid child for wearing his best shirt for a rough, hands on game! if he wanted to prance around in the latest 'label' he should've stuck to football!
    (now THAT will get a few going!)
  • allan2006
    allan2006 Posts: 264
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    depends how much of a mate he is, and if its worth chipping in to keep the peace so to speak.

No way should he pay for it all though, max 50%. Even at worse case they are equally to blame, him for wearing an expensive top to play rugby and your son for accidentally damaging.
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Goodwill gesture; Buy him a sewing kit. :D
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What a joke! I'd want to personally tell the kid "no, you live, you learn, don't wear precious things to a rugby game!" I'd assume if he is old enough to dress himself, he is old enough to realise how rough a rugby game is and that new and pretty clothes wont stay that way for long if involved in a game!

Had it been two girls going out to the shops and one had ruined the others dress by tearing at it in a rugby tackle, then there may be some case for compensation but not in a game of rugby for goodness sake and not in this case at all!

Its called life, its a learning experience and you start the day your born. I'd tell the kid to either stop trying to pull a fast one or simply "thats life, live with it!" If the son is more concerned about wanting to save face or worried he may lose a friend then this kid was no friend to begin with and is unlikely to remain so if its a relationship based soley on the cost of a shirt.
  • PrinceGaz
    PrinceGaz Posts: 139 Forumite
    Absolutely not. Rugby is a sport where you should expect physical contact, so you should dress for it in very durable clothing (the sort which can take a good yank from behind without any damage-- the top would mainly transfer the force directly to the wearer). I had to wear a rugby-top at school for all PE lessons (regardless of whether it was rugby or something less contact involved like tennis), and you'd be mad to play rugby in anything less given all the scrums and tackles involved in the game.

This guy's "friend" made a silly mistake in probably wanting to look stylish rather than dress appropriately, and for him to nag about wanting the damage paid for only makes that seem more obvious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure