PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    O and can you please put me down for £310 for July.
    Thank you!
  • Pinwheel
    Pinwheel Posts: 90 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone

Just popping in to update my signature. I seem to have spent loads since Friday, £11.79 in the C**p, most of it on reduced sausages, pork shoulder and chicken breasts which have gone in the freezer. My Ocado delivery was £25.07 and I've just been and spent £21.23 in L**l. We are camping this weekend so I bought a few treats for that. That's £58.09 to add, oh my goodness I'm worried now, on the plus side my freezer is full.

Have a nice evening.

PWx
    June 2022 GC £372.89/£400
    May 2022 GC £439.33/£400

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »

I'm seriously impressed with the maths on this thread! :D

Well, I do have a degree in the subject!!! ;)

NSD today. Just need to manage 31 of them next month and my yearly target may get back on track! Hmm...

I'm happy with my budget idea for next month - I'm not declaring an actual budget, just an 'I didn't need that' budget of £50. I ended up doing omelette tonight, so the quiche I had that goes ood tom (and I know we won't eat it then) went into the freezer in quarters tonight. I think I'm much better at salvaging stuff now - things that are near date/going floppy in the fridge are making meals these days, whereas before, I used to go through my fridge once a week and chuck everything that looked a little suspect. Dread to think how much money and food I used to waste. Now, I congratulate myself on making food stretch, and not wasting stuff. Got a long way to go, but long journeys always start with small steps.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • AAARGH! I know I started my month early but we're not even officially in July and I've already spent over £20 :cool:

Couldn't resist going whoopsie-hunting on tuesday night.
    I have a rule where I'm not allowed to spend more than £2 on meat per meal (for 2 of us). I actually think that's a lot but it can still be hard to do. Anyway, A$da had packs of 5 pork 'sizzle steaks' for £2 so I stocked up on those, reckon I can make 2 packs last 3 meals and pork is hubby's fave :)

Going to try to make something tasty out of lamb liver and bacon which will be another cheap meal. And got packs of herbs for 2p each :j going to experiment with freezing them.

Stocked up on LOADS of smart price pasta while it's still 17p. Mr T's have put their's up to over 30p last I checked :eek: so I reckon it's only a matter of time before A$da follows.

Wouldn't need to go shopping again for ages except that I'm having in-laws over for dinner on Sunday and haven't a clue what to cook for them. Needs to be veggie and feed 6, suggestions welcome!
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Morning MrsMcawber and all in Mse land :wave:

Could you please put me down for£400 again this month. Hopefully will do better than June:o

regards to all:)
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite

Wouldn't need to go shopping again for ages except that I'm having in-laws over for dinner on Sunday and haven't a clue what to cook for them. Needs to be veggie and feed 6, suggestions welcome!

How about a nice veggie lasagne, easy to make ahead and have in the fridge ready to pop in the oven with roasties and anything else you want.
  • QOTD
    QOTD Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Winged_one wrote: »
    Hiya, just wondering if anyone has any good ideas to use a glut of broad beans?

Is it possible to blanch them and then freeze for use later? Alternatively I made a nice broad bean quiche/tart the other week which my OH was impressed with - really simple make/buy some shortcrust pastry and line a tart tin with it and blind bake for about 10 mins. Fry up your bacon lardons and boil your broad beans few a couple of minutes. Put both the beans and the bacon in the tart. Separately mix up some double cream with a beaten egg and then pour this mixture over the tart. If you have any parmesan cheese grate this over the top, if you have any basil mix some of this with it - if not, don't bother. Bake in the oven for about 30 mins until it looks done and there you go.

Sorry I have no gas marks or deg C - my oven is either on or off, if doesn't seem to care about what temperature I've set it at - I guess it could be gas 4 or equivilent.
  • QOTD
    QOTD Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Winged One another idea for the use of broad beans - I've just spotted that you have some chorizo in your stores - how about a chorizo and broad bean potato omelette if you have some eggs in. My OH always makes these so I'm not even going to try to explain what to do so here are a few links for you to look at - these are just for the basic potato omelette, you'd just need to add the sliced chorizo and beans when necessary:

http://www.cookuk.co.uk/eggs/spanish-omelette-recipe.htm

http://www.circlecity.co.uk/kitchen/recipes/spanish_potato_omelette.php
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Declaring at £234 - slightly over budget but we managed to use less petrol this month so kept our overall total within £400.

Back to £250 for next month as the freezer is a little depleted
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Gracie_1827
    Gracie_1827 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Declaring at £143.89...slightly over budget:o. Running freezer down ready for defrost so I've got to be careful that July's doesn't run away with me. Please put me down for £140 for July
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business