BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Rosie, do you like sausages? ...

yes I do like sausages, tiger, any ideas please? :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...on bean recipes...i use them in chilli and in soup thats about it ....both of which are nice though

im in the process of making a spanish omelette and some bread....i like making bread...very satisfying

we have sc spag bol for tea which im quite looking forward to as we haevt had pasta for a bit

hoping for a nsd...could do with one

have a great day
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • Winged_one
    Winged_one Posts: 610 Forumite
    Well, the oven had been accidentally turned off on Monday afternoon, so the shepherd's pie was only cooked when we got home, so DD had leftovers while DH and I had SP later. So there were plenty of leftovers, so we had it again last night (and finished it). I have the potatoes, leeks and stuffing prepared for tonight (stuffed pork loin, roasted with roast pots and baby leeks wrapped in parma ham and a cheese sauce baked as well). So I will have a spare dinner (I think the meatballs one) for next week instead.

And the peas are poking their heads through properly as well - the garden is suddenly sprouting like mad since we had a bit of rain over the weekend. I will be eating salad leaves tomorrow, and radishes in a couple of weeks.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »

does anyone have any fairly simple bean recipes please? I'm off meat a bit and have assorted tinned beans from AF (canneloni, broad etc); I found a few ideas on the 5kg tin of broad beans thread but any other suggestions greatly appreciated :D

Now I'm no Masterchef but I did make a beany thing last night that was very nice and Slimming World friendly ....

Fry off a chopped onion, pepper and mushrooms in Frylight. Add 3 or 4 tins of assorted drained beans (I used kidney beans, cannelini, aduki and black eyed beans) and 2 tins of value chopped tomatoes. Add 1 small tin of drained sweetcorn and a good dollop of chilli powder to taste. Let this cook through for about 30 mins on a lowish heat.

If you want to bulk it out further chuck in a handful of dried pasta and cook until the pasta is soft.

Serve either on its own with grated cheese on the top, in a jacket spud or with rice.

This makes a massive pan of beany chilli but it does freeze ok and keep for days in a sealed container in the fridge - good for lunches at work where you could pop it in the microwave.

Good luck with the weightloss - I can recommend Slimming World because I have never been hungry and its very geared to eating on a budget as it relies on mostly cooking from scratch and using fresh fruit and veg, cupboard staples etc.
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This is a slow cooker recipe that we all love. You can double the amount of ingredients to freeze a batch or serve more. Though if you do that I find you can get away with 12 sausages. I also just bung in whatever beans I have to use up if needs be.

Sausage and bean cassoulet

8 sausages
    410g of tinned haricot beans, drained and rinsed
    800g of tinned chopped tomatoes
    1 large onion , chopped
    1 large carrot , chopped
    410g of tinned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    410g of tinned butter beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    200ml chicken stock (made double strength)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
    1 tbsp plain white flour

Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the sausages for 5-6 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the carrot and fry for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle on 1 tbsp flour and fry for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Transfer to a slow cooker.

Cut each sausage into four slices and transfer to the slow cooker. Add the (cannellini, haricot and butter) beans, stock, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and mixed herbs and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Season to taste before serving.

We have clean plates when this is dished up.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Missus_Aka
    Missus_Aka Posts: 285 Forumite
    Spends so far this month
    £147.12 between the turkish shop and tescos, the tescos shopping has earned me £56.60 in dtd vouchers that i will use to buy some duvet covers and some more food for free!!!!
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have spent £148.51 of my £430 grocery budget this month so far, and today is only the start of day 6! :eek:

If I continued to spend at the same rate throughout the month I would spend £891.06! This looks a horrendous figure, but my freezers, fridge and cupboards are positively bulging, so I am hoping to spend a lot less over the next 3 weeks!

i always find i spend loads in the first week of the month, i think it's cause i've started doing a monthly meal plan
    minnie2 wrote: »
    i feel this is going to be a silly question and im very sorry but what is the grab its?

sorry i should have been clearer but i see someone helped you anyway :) i got a £20 dtd voucher this morning from my £23 spend yesterday so i'm happy :j

nsd for me today :) chicken stew for tea made with leftover chick casarole from yesterday
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    £1.09 spent yesterday and £2.35 spent in Mr T today. Will update my signature :D
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • hi everyone,
    just caught up with posts.

Mothership: my thought are with you

having lots of nsds but that is due to still being ill rather than any self control.
    good luck everyone
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure