IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
2 FOR 1 London days out loophole
Views: 486,176
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Martin
Old 02-04-2005, 1:56 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default 2 FOR 1 London days out loophole

Update Note March 2014.This offer's no longer available but see the latest offers on our main site:

Days Out Deals Note

London Zoo Discounts

2 FOR 1 LONDON ATTRACTION LOOPHOLE.

There's a website with hoards of 2for1 vouchers for places like London Zoo, Madame Tussards,Sticky Fingers restaurant etc. You can get as many vouchers as you want.

The condition?

You need a valid train ticket for that day.

The Loophole?

With the saving being up to £15, even if you're not going on the train go buy a ticket for a couple of quid then use the voucher. For example a one way ticket from a central london station (e.g. marylebone for Tussards/London Zoo) is £1.90.

The site is http://www.london2for1.com, it allows you to print more than one voucher so you can continue to do this.

Also read full articles :

Pay Less for all Days Out
Train Fare MoneySaving

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-03-2014 at 9:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
superhoop
Old 06-04-2005, 5:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Martin:

Great tip and a great newsletter (as always!)

My wife and I saw this promotion a while back. Does it have to be a national rail ticket, or will a Underground ticket or travelcard do. Do you have to buy the ticket from a mainline station?

I hunted high and low in the t&cs but I could not find the answer.

Thanks very much for all your good work!

Steve
We are QPR, say we are QPR!
# 3
jaimeo
Old 06-04-2005, 6:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default done it

used loads the other week. did actually travel by train but nowhere asked us for tickets as proof

j
Err, I'll get back to you about the funny signature
The Following User Says Thank You to jaimeo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
RufusA
Old 06-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd second that, visited London Aquarium twice using 2for1 vouchers and neither time was asked for train tickets.

Rufus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RufusA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
homealone
Old 07-04-2005, 4:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

does anyone know yetif it has to be a mainline station or if a tubecard will suffice? i couldnt afford to get there only to find out it had to be a train. also is it just one ticket or one per person?

thanks mse ers
# 6
ilovefreebies
Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Great saving over all, thanks
# 7
coinneach
Old 07-04-2005, 1:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My local overground stationmaster told me that an underground travelcard would work as well. Haven't tried it yet though, but there are lots of overground stations within the travelcard zones, so it makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to coinneach For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
EcO
Old 10-04-2005, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

What happens if you have already access to all the zones in central london (monthly pass for the tube train and bus). Can you still qualify by showing your oyster card with the original receipt?
# 9
timmo44
Old 22-04-2005, 5:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Best bet is to buy your travelcard from an overland station instead of the undergroud (London Bridge, Charing Cross, Liverpool Street, Paddington, King's Cross etc...) They are exactly the same cost and usage etc but validates the 2for1London deals.

However, as mentioned previously, most places don't even ask to see it (but better safe than sorry!) Tower of London is good and saves you £13 on 2 adults.

I also recommend the Thames boat services to get about with. See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/river/pdfdocs/...guide-2005.pdf

Most people don't even know this exists but it's a good way of seeing lots of attractions up the river. We got a Hopper Pass which allows you on and off the Embankment - Waterloo - Bankside - Tower - Greenwich catamarans for £9 but you could also get 1/3rd off with a valiud travelcard. Well worth £6 as the route takes in a lot of attractions examples as follows:

Embankment - West End, Covent Garden, Leicester and Trafalgar Squares.
Waterloo - London Eye, Festival Hall, County Hall and Aquarium.
Bankside - Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, Oxo Tower, Millennium Bridge, Clink Prison Museum.
Tower - Go under Tower Bridge, Tower of London, St Katherine's Dock
Greenwich - Cutty Sark, Greenwich Market (weekends) and Naval College.

Good fun on a sunny day (good luck for that!)
BE NICE - IT'S FREE!
# 10
HarriettPotter
Old 28-04-2005, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Do you know if you can buy the train ticket at another station - eg i live in kent but can i buy a ticket for the overground journey in london from the station near me?
# 11
starlite
Old 29-04-2005, 11:13 AM

Location: In my mind - Treking the world, In Reality- wondering why I'm too lazy to make that happen

ha ha..funny as i was just looking for a london zoo voucher, and came across that website and noticed this myself. i was just coming on here to post and ask if anyone else had gotten away with it, as i will be travelling from a zone 2 mainline sation...great stuff!
Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
# 12
Caterina
Old 05-06-2005, 9:54 AM

I live in London and have used lots of these voucher (really handy with the kids!) and I have found that both day and period travelcards are accepted as proof of having travelled by train. Also as many pointed here, not many people bother asking you for proof of train travel (but it's better to have it just in case).

Caterina
Living a simple life in a complicated world.
# 13
evesham1988la
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The London 2-for-1 Offer has now finished.

However, there is a similar promotion for National Trust Sites (2-for-1) when you travel by train.

Travel by train and take advantage of 2 for 1 entry into selected National Trust and National Trust for Scotland properties.

Properties excluded from this promotion include 59 Rodney Street, Antony Woodland Garden, Ascott House, Avebury Manor Garden, Bodnant Garden, Buscot Park, Clumber Park, Coughton Court, Eastbury Manor House, Forthlin Road, Gawthorpe Hall, Gondola, Greenway, Gunby Hall, Hardy’s Cottage, The Homewood, Lawrence House, Mendips, Mr Straw’s House, Oakhurst Cottage, Orford Ness, Owletts, Red House, Shugborough, St Michael’s Mount, Tatton Park, Somerset Treasures House and Priest’s House, Tyntesfield, Waddesdon Manor, Wakehurst Place Garden, Westwood Manor, West Green House Garden, all properties managed by English Heritage and local authorities

For more information about National Trust houses and gardens visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk.

For more information about National Trust for Scotland houses and gardens visit www.nts.org.uk.

1.Voucher is valid ONLY on production of a valid rail ticket.
2.Voucher is valid ONLY on completion of details.
3.The voucher must be surrendered upon admission and is non transferable against the cost of membership.
4.Photocopies of the voucher will not be accepted.
5.There is no cash alternative.
6.The voucher cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
7.Valid at participating properties only during the published opening times (see list of excluded properties).
8.The person using the free admission voucher must be accompanied on the day of use by a visitor paying the full adult admission charge or by a National Trust or National Trust for Scotland member.
9.Not valid at National Trust or National Trust for Scotland events where a separate charge is made.
10.Offer valid from 3 May 2005 until 30 June 2005.
11.Not valid on Bank Holidays or Bank Holiday weekends (not valid 28 May to 30 May 2005 inclusive).

National Trust 2-for-1
# 14
TishoG
Old 01-09-2005, 7:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default London 2 for 1 offer coming back

It says on their websait:

Quote:
We've got loads of irresistible money saving offers to London's Top Attractions when you travel by train starting on 1st October, 2005!
http://www.london2for1.com/
# 15
evesham1988la
Old 01-09-2005, 9:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

... so I guess the 2-for-1 offer will be starting up again on Ocotber 1st
# 16
Saffie
Old 27-09-2005, 5:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Not sure if this has already been mentioned anywhere else, so sorry if it has, but just thought i'd point out that there is a new offer for discounted tickets to top London attractions with your bus or tube ticket. These offers are available now, you don't have to wait until october!!

There is a leaflet out called "Everyone's London", you can get this from any tube station. This will give you more details. Or visit:

www.tfl.gov.uk

The offers listed include restaurants, shows, museums, galleries, exhibitions and top attractions. The discounts are really good!!!

I'd recommend having a look for yourselves...

P.s. It's always worth having a look in the leaflet rack of your local tube station. There are regular offers for top events, as well as good advice if you plan on going to these events...
# 17
isasmurf
Old 06-10-2005, 8:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

First question why is this a loophole?

Secondly, if you don't have a train ticket, you can always check out Visit London, for special offers. http://uk.visitlondon.com/offers/
# 18
buzwad
Old 07-10-2005, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Oyster cards only!!

Hi All,

this 2-for-1 deal is a great idea, but don't trust what it says on the london.gov.uk website! My fianc!e and I took a day off work to take advantage of this and when we showed our travelcards at the London Eye, we were told that the 2-for-1 deal was only for Oyster card holders.

Even though I showed them a print out from Ken Livingstone's website (which states that any bus or train ticket will do), they did not budge saying that it was an Oyster deal ONLY!

I've emailed Ken to change his website but the BA staff at the Eye told us we weren't the first people to turn up only to be disappointed by the misinformation.

I think the TfL site does specify the fact that an Oyster card is required. What I find ironic is that my fianc!e has an Oyster card, but since we don't start our journey at a tube stop (we're in zone 6), she couldn't have bought a travelcard on it even if she wanted to!

It's a good deal, but just beware of the conflicting info!
Buzwad
# 19
tigsowner
Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile group saver rail travel

When I checked out the link for 2 for 1 in london, the banner headline had a group travel part I clicked on for more info. Basically, as far as I can see, you can have 4 people travelling for the price of 2 PLUS kids at £1 each and you don't need a railcard to do it! Think it would be worth checking for a particular journey though, but the savings would be more than with a railcard which gives 1/3 off and costs £20 to buy! (Although mine was a family Circle promo!)
# 20
buzwad
Old 07-10-2005, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Arrow

Hi again,

just thought I'd post the *offending* webpage:
http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/cultu...don/offers.jsp
DO NOT believe what it says on the linked page - check TfL or the websites of the attractions you want to visit to check the T&C's

Buzwad