February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    martafdz wrote: »
    AAAAAAHHHH!!! I was convinced that I had two swedes from the A&C box... and now I was going to peel them they have turned out to be beetroots!!! LOL That is how much I know my vegetables lol. Anyway, one of them has a bit of the skin already peeled... what can I do with them? I was makiing a roast but OH said that he wanted swede but no beetrot. Can I do some salad and keep it for tomorrow? What can I do with it? Please help! I do not want to throw the one I have 1/4 peeled away but I never cooked one of this and I have no clue what can I do with it. I like beetroot salad but not sure how to do it or if it can be done with the chunk I peeled already there. :( Silly me thinking it was an unwashed swede/turnip...lol

martafdz - beetroot is lovely roasted, it's my favourite way of having it. I also use it grated in a choc beetroot cake, let me know if you want the recipe.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• martafdz wrote: »
    AAAAAAHHHH!!! I was convinced that I had two swedes from the A&C box... and now I was going to peel them they have turned out to be beetroots!!! LOL That is how much I know my vegetables lol. Anyway, one of them has a bit of the skin already peeled... what can I do with them? I was makiing a roast but OH said that he wanted swede but no beetrot. Can I do some salad and keep it for tomorrow? What can I do with it? Please help! I do not want to throw the one I have 1/4 peeled away but I never cooked one of this and I have no clue what can I do with it. I like beetroot salad but not sure how to do it or if it can be done with the chunk I peeled already there. :( Silly me thinking it was an unwashed swede/turnip...lol

or you can go the traditional way and boil it with the remainder of skin on until soft,peal and slice and eat with salad or pickle it in vinegar.my big brother boils them and then just eats them like an apple.
    2uge4p4.gif
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • wssla00 wrote: »
    LOL bottom of the cupboard bars are bars where I add loads of stuff I am running out of. So the basic is the following:

2oz butter
    a good squidge of golden syrup
    3oz sugar
    3 oz oats
    3 oz raisins

then whatever is left in the packets so today I used
    1 oz rice crispies
    3 oz seeds
    2 oz mini smarties

You can use anything as long as they add up to 6oz (not including the raisins and oats)

Then you just melt the butter sugar and golden syrup down, pour into the dry goods and combine and then flatten down into a flapjack/brownie pan. Bake on a 180 for about 25 minutes until they are golden brown.

Cool and then cut into squares :) enjoy!

do you reckon i could get away with melted apricot jam and sweetener instead? (trying to lose the pounds lol)

:rotfl:thankyouu for this though!
    DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 £23,708.39
    Paid so far £2,383.91 :money:
    Current Debt £21,560.56

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    wssla00 wrote: »
    LOL bottom of the cupboard bars are bars where I add loads of stuff I am running out of. ...

Great recipe wssla, its in the index now :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • esmer
    esmer Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Just did my January budget and im under. So I am going to stick with my 40.00 a week please.

please put me in for 40.00 per week for my Feb challenge pretty please :)
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    scotsaver wrote: »
    martafdz - beetroot is lovely roasted, it's my favourite way of having it. I also use it grated in a choc beetroot cake, let me know if you want the recipe.;)
    l.m.hart wrote: »
    or you can go the traditional way and boil it with the remainder of skin on until soft,peal and slice and eat with salad or pickle it in vinegar.my big brother boils them and then just eats them like an apple.
    2uge4p4.gif

Thanks!!!!!

how long does it last after boiled? how much vinegar do I put? any vinegar? I have balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar only! :( I have never tasted the beetroot roasted but now it is a bit late since my roast only needs 15 more minutes and it is done. Could I get the recipe anyway? Pleaze? :D I am boiling the beetroots, the water has gone directly pink since one of them a bit peeled. What do I do when soft? Cut in chunks and put in vinegar? Is that how they do beetroot salad?
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    Thanks!!!!!

how long does it last after boiled? how much vinegar do I put? any vinegar? I have balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar only! :( I have never tasted the beetroot roasted but now it is a bit late since my roast only needs 15 more minutes and it is done. Could I get the recipe anyway? Pleaze? :D I am boiling the beetroots, the water has gone directly pink since one of them a bit peeled. What do I do when soft? Cut in chunks and put in vinegar? Is that how they do beetroot salad?

the vinegar would preserve it and it will last yonks, i put in vinegar once cooled but peal it once its cooled enough to handle as the skin comes off easier.cant imagine it really matters what type of vinegar you use but im sure someone on here knows better than me.:D

• martafdz
    Oh, thanks, I will do that! So, basically, I boil the beetroot, I wait until soft, let it cool and peel it. I cut it into pieces and add salt and vinegar. Then refrigerate. Is that right? Anything else I should add for a beetroot salad? That sounds great, I can leave it done for tomorrow :D

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • martafdz
    Again, I found this recipe online, I have tried it and I am happy with the result so here it goes!

Ingredients

175g butter/margarine (I used I can't believe.. and it was fine)
    175g sugar (recipe said caster sugar but I used normal sugar and a bit of icing sugar since I run out before the 175g, and it also was ok lol)
    3 eggs
    250g self rising flour
    1 lemon

Method

1. Mix the butter and the sugar together. Stir until you get a creamy paste.

2. Add one egg (whole, no need to separate) and one tablespoon of flour. Mix well. Repear again with the rest of the eggs, adding a tbsp of flour each time too.

3. Add the juice of the lemon and the rest of the flour. Mix well.

4. Bake at 180C in the centre of the oven for 1h - 1h and 15min. My oven is fan assisted and it was ready in 45 min so check if the centre is done with a toothpick every now and then. In the recipe it said after 25 min you could also add some thin citron peels on top and put back in the oven, I have not done that.

5. Let it cool for 10 minutes before taking it out of the tray (I used a round one). Then remove and put in a plate to cool down completely.

Well, mine is still warm but there is a quarter missing! :rotfl:Really nice and the after taste is great (lemony mmmm)

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    Oh, thanks, I will do that! So, basically, I boil the beetroot, I wait until soft, let it cool and peel it. I cut it into pieces and add salt and vinegar. Then refrigerate. Is that right? Anything else I should add for a beetroot salad? That sounds great, I can leave it done for tomorrow :D
    i dont normally add salt ( but thats not saying its not correct)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts