Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > To dye or not to dye - that is the question. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
To dye or not to dye - that is the question.
Views: 8,648
# 1
Luis
Old 30-03-2005, 9:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default To dye or not to dye - that is the question.

OK, I bought a lovely white summer dress off Ebay for 99p (hooray) for my hols. It fits perfectly, and looks fantastic - what a bargain.

However it is see through

Now - will dying it a darker colour limit it's see-throughness? I think it might.

Which leads me to - how do I do this? Are the instructions on the side of packets of Dylon accurate, or are there any experienced dyers out there who can add a 'whatever you do, don't do / do do this' bit of wisdom?

Thanks
"It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time)
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Sarahsaver
Old 30-03-2005, 9:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If its see through then its probably because it is thin fabric. You may think its less see thru if its dyed, so it may be worth dyeing anyway!
Is it 100% cotton? then it will dye perfectly. The old fashioned tins of dylon are great and you can dye in a bucket - a fave summer pastime of mine when i was a kid
Make sure you add the salt and add enough, it makes the dye 'bite'
Wear rubber gloves.
Open the tin or packet carefully.
Don't be tempted to try and do it in less time than stated on the packet. They are quite accurate, but if you have something thats 10% polyester, then that 10% will not dye, just the cotton part of the fibres.
Had you thought of being really old style and dyeing with onion skins (colours from yellowy beige to brown) or nettles (green)
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarahsaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Luis
Old 30-03-2005, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

!!!!!!, it's viscose - will it dye?
"It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

# 4
Sarahsaver
Old 30-03-2005, 10:33 PM

viscose is a material which i think is made from natural plant (i.e. not oil based) materials, so I think it will dye
Have you checked out the dylon website?
I have done reading too!
teaching of the Buddhas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarahsaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Luis
Old 30-03-2005, 10:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Went to the Dylon site - off to buy some dye tomorrow!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Luis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Pink.
Old 30-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've only ever used the dylon washing machine dyes (I'm too lazy to be bothered with a bucket, gloves etc).

Their washing machine dyes have come up trumps for me every time, sometimes refreshing old and faded favourites so that they look like new. As someone else posted, do remember to use enough salt. I always put the washing machine through an empty cycle afterwards, just to make sure that all traces of dye are removed.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Edinburghlass
Old 30-03-2005, 11:55 PM

I would agree with that Pink. I have used the washing machine ones several times to dye duvet covers, sheets, pillow slips etc and towels are particularly good.

Bit more expensive than the tins but you could add it some towels or sheets etc once you have picked the colour you want to dye the dress.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Pink.
Old 31-03-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsaver
Had you thought of being really old style and dyeing with onion skins (colours from yellowy beige to brown) or nettles (green)
Sarah have you ever tried this? Does it work?

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 9
Sarahsaver
Old 31-03-2005, 8:57 AM

My sis did this when she did her HND in theatre wardrobe. They had to make period costumes only using techniques available from the time the clothes were from. The clothes were beautiful muted natural colours. I will ask her.
I did used to dye boiled eggs for easter using onion skins.
I have done reading too!
teaching of the Buddhas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarahsaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Becles
Old 31-03-2005, 9:14 AM

If it won't dye, you could wear a silky chemise underneath.
Here I go again on my own....
# 11
Galtizz
Old 31-03-2005, 9:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have used the machine wash dyes before and they are great.

Just one thing to remember - the 'cotton' used to sew up the dress will probably be made of polyester and won't dye.

This doesn't effect things like duvet covers but on things like jeans where the stiching is clearly designed to be a pattern on the outside of the jeans it can be a problem. I bought some blue jeans with yellow stiching and dyed them black, I now have black jeans with yellow stiching. Just a thought if you have stiched detail on the dress this will stay white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsaver
We did this at school. Each student used a different vegetable with varying results. I used a carrot :rolleyes: it was cr*p . The veg you use has to either make a lot of juice or colour the water if you boil it in it. Can't remember many of the veggies used but I do remember beetroot gave a fantastic bright pink colour.
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Galtizz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Luis
Old 31-03-2005, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My granny is a proper 'Old Style Saver' - she even spins her own wool, knits with it and dyes it with natural things like onions, beetroot etc.

Ends up with beautiful, soft, unique items in gorgeous natural colours.

She also does things like washout bags and use them again, makes patchwork with left over material, uses all her food leftovers, composts, makes her own cards and presents - and to sell at local fairs etc, makes her own curtains and soft furnishings, thins paint down etc etc.

She says it is because of being bought up during the war, where 'waste not want not' was the motto.

Because of her, I never think I have got the most out of a roast until I have had about 4 meals out of it, including boiling the carcass for stock and saving it!

Good point from Galtizz about the stitching - it does have a delicate emroidery bit on it. Rats. I'm gutted as it is such a lovely dress, but believe me - you can see everything through it! It will look ridiculous if I dye it and the pattern goes pale pink or stays white.Having said that though, I can't really wear it as it is.

Hmmmmmmm.........

# 13
elona
Old 31-03-2005, 1:04 PM

This may be a daft idea - but for 99p - could you buy a second identical dress and wear the two together?
"This site is addictive!"
Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
Preemie hats - 2.
# 14
Mrs Thrift
Old 31-03-2005, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Or find a slip for a similarly low price to wear under it? Or you might even have a nightie that would do the job - I have a slip and a nightie that are almost identical; knee length, cream satin, thin straps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Thrift For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Luis
Old 31-03-2005, 5:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think I will have a look for a slip - the idea of the dress (because I SO do not do dresses normally lol) is that we are 'orf t'egypt' in May, and it wil be tres hot, so I thought a few cheapies would be good for the evening.

Like I say - I would think 'oh well, never mind' if it weren't for the fact that it looks and fits so well.

Off to Ebay again for a slip..........

# 16
Edinburghlass
Old 31-03-2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
I think I will have a look for a slip - the idea of the dress (because I SO do not do dresses normally lol) is that we are 'orf t'egypt' in May, and it wil be tres hot, so I thought a few cheapies would be good for the evening.

Like I say - I would think 'oh well, never mind' if it weren't for the fact that it looks and fits so well.

Off to Ebay again for a slip..........
Ah but when away from home, no-one will see you that you know so I would just wear the dress, once you are suitably bronzed
# 17
Luis
Old 10-04-2005, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

lol true, true!

Anyway - I have just got the dress out of the machine, it has dyed a gorgeous red colour (all over, phew), and I am just waiting for it to dry to try it on and see if it is as 'see throughable' as it was when it was white.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
ally1974
Old 29-08-2006, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question To dye or not to dye?

I have an evening wedding reception to attend and haven't a thing to wear! Well, actually I do if I can bring myself to dye a white dress a different colour. I can't wear white, obviously, but I LOVE this dress so much and can't afford another one so am in a quandry. I bought the dress ten years ago from a 2nd hand shop and it's handmade. It's a bit tight around the ribcage but I think I could get away with it as I'm quite skinny. I haven't been able to get rid of it as I adore it so much. But I can't afford a new one, or a least one that looks so good on me!
I think it might be made of polyester. It has a lining that I'm sure is polyester, then the top material is shiny with matt flowers over it, all white, and if I said it looks like those chinese-type dresses would that make sense? Can I dye it successfully and with what? And do you think I could remove the dye and return it to it's lovely whiteness?
Any help greatly appreciated.
# 19
black-saturn
Old 29-08-2006, 6:46 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Is it one of those chinese dresses with embroidery on or a pattern? You can dye it but if it has a pattern or embroidery it will get dyed too. Also if it is polyester the dye won't take as well as if it was a natural fibre like cotton.

As for the sizing you could use some of the lining material to take it out (make it a bit bigger) or take it to a tailors who will do it for about 5.00. if it's a dress you love it might be worth paying for this so you can use it again
The Following User Says Thank You to black-saturn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
fudgem
Old 29-08-2006, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you love this dress so much, leave it alone. You will probably ruin it so still won't have anything to wear at the reception. I can't see anything wrong in you going in white anyway, unless it looks like a wedding dress?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fudgem For This Useful Post: Show me >>