October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just back from my weekly shop - the last one for Oct for me, my month ends on the 20th.
    Have ended up £2.01 over budget, but I'm more than happy with that as it was a 5 weeker for me and I cut the budget from £200 to £170 this month.:cool: I bought tahini paste to make hummus for lunches next week and it was that which drove me over the edge!:o
    Have been really trying to not waste anything this month, so tonight its HM sausage rolls made with leftover puff pastry and sausages with chips and beans!
    Thanks for all the support you guys give - it really helps!:A

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Wow! That's one hell of an achievement jinty, fabulous! - well done you :T
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Updated sig with last night's bits - OH had list, it includes wine & beer, partly because we'd have bought it anyway, but also we have friends coming for the evening tomorrow.

Still need to buy the food, am planning on the Aromatic slow-cooked pork that Hippeechiq mentioned as it sounds good and shouldn't cost too much! - plus probably rice and stir-fry veg.
    We have blackberries in the freezer, and cooking apples still (both free) so will be deciding on a pudding. Not sure whether to do a starter or not, maybe just nibbles.
    Apart from that need to get the place respectable - OH's work is all over the dining end, it'll have to go in the 'hideit' cupboard;)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    goodness Jinty thats brilliant well done :T i think you can forgive yourself for the tahini paste ;)
  • Can't believe its the weekend already. Small spend today on Mozarella, ham and chocolate - essentials for the weekend:) Making Calzones again tonight.

Payday not until 27th and cupboards are looking very bare so going to have a freezer hunt tonight and make a meal plan to last us. Wish me luck!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

February Grocery Challenge £301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    £2.54 spent today in Mr S on some reduced Pork Chops and a can of Diet Coke...should have just gone to the corner shop to get my can of Diet Coke really...need to figure out how these Pork Chops are going to fit in the freezer! :rotfl:
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • I feel like I'm doing quite well this month :)

Got my 3rd weekly shop of the month tonight, and have made my list so hopefully will get everything for less than £60.

I am loving my new slow-cooker- everything I make in there does us two dinners, and it makes cheap meat so tender and yum (I know you all know how great they are already, but I'm a late-comer to the club :p)

Hope I'm this positive when I update with tonights spends later!
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sent DH to pick up milk and OJ last night. I haven't got the receipt yet so will update sig later. I did a monster cooking session last night to use my very cheap mushrooms. We now have a freezer full of spinach and mushroom lasagne, mushroom chickpea and green bean curry and enough mushroom soup to launch a ship in. I still have mushrooms left so am making mushroom stroganof for a us and a visitor tonight. I now have a problem because my freezer is full to bursting. I have 10lb+ cooking apples in my fridge and the very nice lady across the road might be bringing me a carrier full of damsons next week. I had planned on stewing the apples and freezing them in batches (I have already got 6 bags of this in freezer!) and making chutney or jam out of the damsons. So I can make the chutney/jam asap when damsons are delivered but that still leaves the apples. Help! Every time I make a cuppa the apples mock me! What can I make that is apple heavy to use them up. (I am making crumble whenever I think my family wont moan "Not again!"). Thanks in advance.:)
  • LannyLee
    LannyLee Posts: 184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chloris wrote: »
    Help! Every time I make a cuppa the apples mock me! What can I make that is apple heavy to use them up. (I am making crumble whenever I think my family wont moan "Not again!"). Thanks in advance.:)

Try this - we do it every year:

Spiced apple chutney

Ingredients

• 225g/8oz onions, chopped
    • 900g/2lb apples, cored and chopped
    • 110g/4oz sultanas, raisins or chopped dates
    • 15g/½oz ground coriander
    • 15g/½oz paprika
    • 15g/½oz mixed spice
    • 15g/½oz salt
    • 340g/12oz granulated sugar
    • 425ml/¾ pints malt vinegar
    Put all the ingredients into a preserving pan. Slowly bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved.
    Simmer for 1½-2 hours, stirring from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
    When it is very thick and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid, the chutney is ready.
    Turn into sterilised jars, seal and cool.
    Store in a cool, dark cupboard for two to three months before eating.

Super-duper easy :D
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    LannyLee wrote: »
    Try this - we do it every year:

Spiced apple chutney
    Super-duper easy :D

Thanks LannyLee! When we had apples galore last year I made an apple chutney (we love chutney in our house:D) but no-one liked it (oh there was 1 lady and she got given 6 jars when we realised we weren't going to eat it!). If I mix apples with the damsons I might get away with it, so I will try that. It would be great to get more meal planner filling recipes:D in the spirit of GC!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure