New Post Advanced Search

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 September 2010 at 10:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 106K views

Replies

• LannyLeeLannyLee Forumite
    184 posts
    Chloris wrote: »
    Thanks LannyLee! When we had apples galore last year I made an apple chutney (we love chutney in our house:D) but no-one liked it (oh there was 1 lady and she got given 6 jars when we realised we weren't going to eat it!). If I mix apples with the damsons I might get away with it, so I will try that. It would be great to get more meal planner filling recipes:D in the spirit of GC!

Hmmm, how about [email protected]'s pork chops cooked with apples & cider?

Or how about just making cider, or do you need special apples for that?
  • MrsEmMrsEm Forumite
    49 posts
    Failing miserably to stick within the budget I made up for our first GC...but learning along the way...

So far of our £190 total spend, £7.89 has been on tissues/loo rolls, £28.29 on a pub lunch, £54.87 on booze - so it's only £98.96 that we've really spent on food shopping...which actually I think is pretty good compared to what we used to spend. I need to rethink how we budget diferent pots of money for different things for November...

Had never really batch cooked before last weekend but know we now have the bits for at least 9 more meals ready in the freezer/cupboards following this week:
    Quiche pots & veg
    Pie mash & veg
    Mushroom, spinach & lentil strudel, rice & beans
    Mushroom, spinach & lentil strudel, pots & veg
    LO Honey Piggy stew & rolls
    Corned Beef Hash
    Lasagne from LO Bolognaise
    Mushroom Surprise # 4
    Mushroom Surprise # 5

Do need to get fruit & bread for lunchboxes & some cream for the mushroom surprise but should be able to get into the last week of the month without going massively over the original budget.

As for the booze - once we've moved house at the end of the month I've decided we definately need to start some home brew going - have spied some threads of that - can't wait to get started - maybe that can be hubbys Chrimbo pressie!

Keep at it everyone, thanks for the tips along the way & have a very MSE weekend!
    MrsEm
    MFW 2011 #170...£3800 OP YTD - need to reconsider my 2011 target (ooops!)...in it for the long haul...
  • ChlorisChloris Forumite
    710 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    LannyLee wrote: »
    Hmmm, how about [email protected]'s pork chops cooked with apples & cider?

Or how about just making cider, or do you need special apples for that?

Good idea about the chops, classic combo! Would love to make cider but no room for it:mad:. (I have limited myself to sloe vodka and cherry vodka as can shove a couple of kilner jars at the back of the cupboard:D)
  • edited 15 October 2010 at 3:42PM
    HippeechiqHippeechiq Forumite
    1.1K posts
    edited 15 October 2010 at 3:42PM
    Diflower wrote: »
    Still need to buy the food, am planning on the Aromatic slow-cooked pork that Hippeechiq mentioned as it sounds good and shouldn't cost too much! - plus probably rice and stir-fry veg.
    Not me - I'm not familiar with the recipe, and I don't have a slow cooker, but it does sound nice, so I hope it turns out well :)

Well, I'm still hurtling down the road to ruin. Spends today of £4.98 in £idl on 2 x 500g packs of Pilgrims Extra Mature Cheddar - I usually manage to spend less on my cheese than that, but I'm just about out, and it is just under the £5 per kg which I try never to pay more than. Then a £9.11 in Te$co. All necessary items, apart from 2 Ly0ns Treacle Tarts BOGOF @ £1.25 :o still, I don't think they could be made for 62½p each if you take electricity into account.......that's what I told myself, anyway ;)

So that's a total of £14.09 today bringing total spends so far to £209.13, so I have the princely sum of £65.87 to last me for the next 16 days, so, less than a ¼ of my budget to last ½ a month :rotfl:

I've only been monitoring special offers for the last 6 - 8 weeks, but, if I've worked it out correctly, I'm hoping £idl will have an offer on Chicken Thighs tomorrow....'twould be awfully kind of them if they did :D
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • DiflowerDiflower Forumite
    601 posts
    Sorry Hippeechiq I had it in my head it was you...have now spent 15 mins finding who it was! It was Mythi, so thanks to her...
    It's not a slow-cooker recipe, it's this one:
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/181620/Aromatic-slow-cooked-pork

MrsEm it's my first go as well, so it was just plucked out of thin air really! I'm keeping a s/sheet with a breakdown, much like yours I should think. We have a dog, so I'm keeping track of her food, then beer/wine, actual food, other essentials, then odds/extras, which is gifts, cards, things like that.
    Just seeing it all written down helps, as does the meal plan.

• MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Finally caught up with all the posts - phew!

Have been in town today meeting a friend for lunch which was nice. Popped into M&S (as you do!) and succumbed to their eat in for £10 deal! Got a largish chicken which will do several meals and save me taking one out of the freezer, plus a large bag of posh salad leaves and two creme brulee and a bottle of wine - saved over £5 and will use the stuff over several days so not a bad deal at all. BTW, noticed that not all the chickens were the same size and rootled around in the cabinet to find the biggest which was over £5!

Having salmon steaks tonight cooked in mw and served with mange tout. Will probs have the creme brulee for pud - we don't usually have a pud but hey it's Friday!

Was inspired by earlier posts to use one of the packs for leeks I got BOGOF in Sainsbury's yesterday to make soup and bunged a large batch in the sc before I went out - so that will do for lunch tomorrow.

Hope you all have a good weekend. Off to update my sig...

Moniker
  • NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Diflower wrote: »

Thank you for that. I have a pack of diced pork bought on BOGOF in the freezer and I've been looking for an interesting meal after my last one I tried wasn't that nice (Pork Adobo - too salty). Is 'diced pork' the same as pork shoulder? :) I know it's a stewing type pork, so I presume it could be used... :o
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • DiflowerDiflower Forumite
    601 posts
    I'm sure the diced pork would be fine - I guess it may not need as long though, the recipe cuts it into big chunks. Hope it's as nice as it sounds!

• NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    That's probably why my last recipe went wrong - the the pork shrunk down badly (so there was only enough for one person instead of 2!), probably because it was supposed to be with larger chunks. Please give feedback once you've had it, whether it's good, so I know whether to give it a try :D
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • MrsEmMrsEm Forumite
    49 posts
    That pork recipe looks yummy! Anyone tried it without the sesame oil? I'm not a bit fan so wouldn't mind it without but not sure if that's what 'makes it'...answers after some of you have cooked it pls - one for the good ideas book perhaps...
    MFW 2011 #170...£3800 OP YTD - need to reconsider my 2011 target (ooops!)...in it for the long haul...